Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

You're right, it's definitely cheaper. I don't know about it being better.

I don't have a lot to compare it to, but if you remove U.S. based carriers, first class airline food is likely better than most MDR food on Celebrity, with pretty nice service as well. Food cooked to order, free alcohol (high quality), quality cuts of meat, etc etc. I don't count domestic front cabin as first class, that doesn't even compare to international business class. Do a quick net search for first class airline reviews and you'll see some pics and get some reviews, and while it varies, just like the Celebrity MDR, Asian, Euro and Middle Eastern Carriers do just fine with food.

Of course, these seats regularly sell for $7-$10k per flight, so more than a suite for a week on Celebrity. It's all perspective, if you can afford those seats, you expect certain things.

Happy Sailing and Flying

Jenna

I must beg to differ. I have not found the food in First Class to be better than the MDR. I have flown First Class to Europe a number of times, on different airlines. While the food in first class is a very nice depature than the meals in economy, I have never found it to be better than in the MDR. Especially the MDR on the Reflection. Our cruise last November was the first time that we didn't go to any of the Speciality Restaurants because we were enjoying the food in the MDR.

But, I must admit it is a lovely luxury to enjoy the First Class service:)

I don't think the airline and cruise dining situations are really equivalent because even in first class on an airplane, you are only dining "with" the person seated right beside you.

If your child or parent or brother or sister or friend is seated in a different row, whether in first class or coach, you are not having dinner together.

There is a big difference between being assigned to a different cabin from your companions for an airline flight and being assigned to a different dining room from your companions for an entire cruise.

I don't see why people are upset. I equate the difference between the "ship within a ship" no different than first class on an airplane or many other things. First class is a lot more expensive than coach. First class has larger more comfortable seats, more leg room, better food, free drinks, etc. Coach passengers don't get these extras and they shouldn't because they didn't pay all the extra money. Maybe the higher end suite passengers don't always want to eat in a restaurant/dining area with people who show up in clothes that aren't appropriate or have not been taught the correct table manners. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are very well educated and mannered people in all walks of life.

Someone mentioned that people who have cruised with Celebrity for a long time should get the same perks as someone who books a suite on their first cruise. Long time cruisers already have perks that short time cruisers don't have. Besides, maybe if the first time suite cruiser is treated special (since they spent a ton of money on the room) they might become long time suite cruisers. If people pay extra then they should get extra.

Now you must be thinking that I am one of the rich ones. I am middle class. If people pay more for something then I think they should get more. This doesn't always have anything to do with how rich you are. Sometimes people save up for years to celebrate a special anniversary or other occasion. They will pay extra for something special and should get something special.

As for Celebrity possibly using Michael's for the suite people, what's the difference than your favorite hangout closing down? You look for some other place to go. It's called learning to adapt and change.

I don't think it's a class system at all. If someone wants the extra perks then pay for it. It's as simple as that!

Now do I think it will go over big? I am thinking not, but I could be wrong. If these extra perks aren't utilized enough, then it will go away. Only time will tell.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Mike,

I agree, but we know that people cruise for different reasons.

We meet people on cruises that never take excursions and stay on the ship most of the time. They like what the ship offers.

We love being on the ship, but treat it like a floating hotel, so we can visit the ports we want to see.

Some people like to relax on cruises (perhaps they are still working). We are retired and can relax anywhere, so we like to do thinks on our trips.

We like the S class ships, but prefer the smaller M class. We did one cruise on the huge NCL Epic and liked it the least. It was just too many people on one ship.

I don't have a problem with cruise lines creating special bennies for suite passengers. It is like flying first class or tourist. First class is way to costly for us, even though we could afford to pay it; it is just not smart to waste you money that you can spend elsewhere.

We enjoyed Aqua class on one cruise, eating at BLU, etc. because we got an upgrade. However, not sure we would pay hundreds of dollars more just to eat in BLU.

I don't mind suite passengers getting more since they pay more but...

What regular passengers got a few years back on cruise ships was much better quality.

So I agree in principle except that I was cruising well before this "class system of old" was revived. 8 to 10 years ago, everyone got the same good quality food and public space amenities regardless of the cabin booked.

Now as a longtime cruiser who does not book suites, but who enjoys well prepared good tasting food, on land and at sea, I am considering that I may have to move on from cruising to other types of vacations.

Food quality on several mainstream cruise lines (Carnival in particular which used to be a favorite line) has nose-dived.

Speaking of food-- Since I have cruised on Celebrity and Princess in 2011, 2012 and 2013, I much prefer their food, but cannot always sail them (due to my travel companions budgets).

I guess you do get what you pay for...

But as I said, I used to get more for what I paid...

As in--I used to get food that was just as good as Princess or Celebrity today...on Carnival back then, for a lot less.

I guess it's time to move on...

As someone once said: There's no going back!

Sadly.

Miss the old Carnival!

We have had penthouse suites on NCL and never felt different from anyone else just because we had a separate dining room for breakfast and lunch.After teaching for many years, I do not like buffets. They remind me of the school cafeteria. It is no different from some people eating at the buffet, some in the MDR and some in specialties. This is not different from some taking ship's excursions and some taking smaller private excursions. Some people pay more on Princess to be in the sanctuary and some are happy with the main pool area. If this change makes more money for Celebrity, it will be better for all who sail Celebrity.

Ditto! :eek:

I don't see why people are upset. I equate the difference between the "ship within a ship" no different than first class on an airplane or many other things. First class is a lot more expensive than coach. First class has larger more comfortable seats, more leg room, better food, free drinks, etc. Coach passengers don't get these extras and they shouldn't because they didn't pay all the extra money. Maybe the higher end suite passengers don't always want to eat in a restaurant/dining area with people who show up in clothes that aren't appropriate or have not been taught the correct table manners. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are very well educated and mannered people in all walks of life.

1. No, "ship within a ship" is not like first class on airplanes.

On the airplanes, all the facilities we use are contained in the first class cabin. First class passengers have nothing to do in economy class cabin.

On a ship, "ship within a ship" guests will use many of the "third world" features that are open for everyone.

2. There is nothing wrong if suite guests on Celebrity have a separate dining room. But this is not "ship within a ship" concept. There is nothing to worry about. :)

Someone mentioned that people who have cruised with Celebrity for a long time should get the same perks as someone who books a suite on their first cruise. Long time cruisers already have perks that short time cruisers don't have. Besides, maybe if the first time suite cruiser is treated special (since they spent a ton of money on the room) they might become long time suite cruisers. If people pay extra then they should get extra.

What it boils down to, is that some are complaining because someone is getting something they can't have. It is alright for them to get perks, but better not let anyone get some perks that they can't have.

Edited by NLH Arizona

.................... Also, after reading many opinions in this and other threads I find it interesting that no one has stated the obvious. I can't speak for others but if I can afford PS and RS staterooms do you think free drinks and specialty dinners are that important to me?

.......... but then again if I'm paying top dollar and others are paying 200.00 a night, why would one expect to get he exact same cruising experience? I think it is very nice that Celebrity is doing this. I'm not sure if it will work. .............I feel very blessed that I can travel the way I do at this time in my life. .................

At last! Someone points to the elephant in the room.

It isn't about being separate or having a special lounge. That's more interesting to the Elites, who get all excited about having their own bar and breakfast venue or part of a lounge roped off for a gathering. I can only speak from experience, but the average suite guest is more than happy not to do the "look at me" schtick. It's about having as much of the experience as possible reflecting the very expensive (and highly profitable) price being paid for cabin real estate.

Everyone enjoys different things, but in my case, I enjoy good quality food. Many think MDR is great. Good for them. I don't agree - it's perfectly acceptable food comparable to what I would expect on an all inclusive holiday anywhere else, but it doesn't float my boat. So how do we address the fact that I'm paying top dollar and want food to match? Surely, there would be a riot if I was allowed to turn up to MDR whenever I felt hungry rather than being shoehorned into a sitting and then have chrerries jubilee or crepes suzzette flambed by the table. I can get that if I go Cunard. I can't get it on Celebrity, even if I eat speciality, because I can't always book a table. I want a venue where my table is always available and the grub is top notch.

Look at the bottom line. Suite passengers are very profitable. Yet, sometimes on a voyage a suite will be raffled off because it wasn't filled. How does X ensure suites get booked up at good prices? They make sure it's worth the money.

I fully agree that things for the majority of passengers aren't as good as they used to be. The lobster is smaller and warm water, escargot are rationed, you no longer get a free bun with a coffee. You should look at the Cunard forum to see just how terrible things are and how it was so much better in the days of good old QE2. Here's the thing..... most of want the best deal we can get. I didn't used to be able to afford to cruise at all, now the economies of scale are so good that many, many more people can hop on a boat. Margins are wafer thin. I'm blessed to be able to afford a suite and the profit they make on me is helping make everyone else's fare just a little bit cheaper. But I expect to get value for money, just the same as anyone.

If Celebrity don't take this step suite passengers will find better value with NCL or MSC or Cunard and will vote with their feet. Result - everyone else will pay a little bit more. But on the bright side, the cruising proletariat will be happy.

We are at the point in our lives that we have the time and could afford more than one cruise a year. But, because of commitments at home, we choose only one 14 day cruise a year. For that reason we are more inclined to book a suite. From other postings it sounds like we might lose 2 of our favorite venues, Bistro on 5 & Cellar Masters. I'm glad that there will be other suite benefits and venues to offset these loses. From what we have observed on recent sailings neither Bristo or Cellar Masters are used very much. In fact we were commenting that we were surprised that Cellar Masters in particular was still serving as a wine bar.

Mary Lou

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure of all of the details yet, but I'm already very disappointed about not having access to Michael's club. I do not need a suite to enjoy cruising, nor do I need to pay that. Having things I am used to being taken away seems inexcusable on Celebrity's part. When they created Blu for Aqua class, etc., I could care less as I had no exposure to it. Michael's is our after dinner hang-out, and one of our travelers is a beer fan and loves the craft beer options.

And did someone say Cellar Masters is part of this? Again, my fave spot on the ships.

I'm not sure of all of the details yet, but I'm already very disappointed about not having access to Michael's club. I do not need a suite to enjoy cruising, nor do I need to pay that. Having things I am used to being taken away seems inexcusable on Celebrity's part. When they created Blu for Aqua class, etc., I could care less as I had no exposure to it. Michael's is our after dinner hang-out, and one of our travelers is a beer fan and loves the craft beer options.

And did someone say Cellar Masters is part of this? Again, my fave spot on the ships.

It has been stated that the craft beers are moving to Cellar Masters. There was a report that they are adding food to Cellar Masters. Cellar Masters was deserted a few weeks ago on the Reflection. It needs help.

Edited by cruisingator2

It has been stated that the craft beers are moving to Cellar Masters. There was a report that they are adding food to Cellar Masters. Cellar Masters was deserted a few weeks ago on the Reflection. It needs help.

Thanks for advising this information. Even our travel agent is having a hard time getting the full details for us. That should be fine. I love wine and Cellar Masters is a blast for me. It definitely doesn't get the charge that the Martini bar gets. I've experienced CM it on 2 ships now. The biggest difference I saw with it filling up was how aggressively they promoted it.

Funny how no one complains about people in 1st class on a plane get real food, free drinks etc etc, but since this is such a open board whenever some sort of class distinction is brought up we have a big divide.

Suite guests are more profitable than any other guests and they pay for extra treatment, that is why I believe so many people love NCL's suite amenities, and I don't blame them, X had fallen behind on this front and now they are trying to catch up.

No biggie, who cares if someone gets a different dining venue, upgrade to AQ and you get one too, free drink package really ? Almost every cruise on X has that now, most of these benefits are not worth the 200 a day extra you need to spend to get them IMO.

Just like a 3 hour flight, do I really want to spend 1K extra for some mediocre food and a bigger seat ? Naah.

I don't post often but these discussions leave me bewildered. My wife and I cruise a good bit and are elite level on RCCL, Princess, etc. This year we are doing three Celebrity cruises, an Azamara, and an Oceana. We have different cabin levels on all of them. There seems to be an assumption that folks who do not like to socialize are snobs or even worse. I worked very hard for a long time in a job where I had daily contact with scores of people. When I go on a cruise I like to read and sit at meals with my wife. We like Aqua and don't mind paying extra. I certainly understand why others choices are made. I do not, however understand the "class envy" argument. Cruise lines are simply a business and there certainly are lots of choices and like every other area of commerce things will change. If Celebrity no longer fits simply find something that does. We don't cruise on RCCL any longer but found Azamara which we like very much. Everyone has the right to vote with their pocketbooks and feet, but I just don't see these changes as anything other than modifications in a business model. If the changes are profitable they will remain until the next paradigm shift. It just isn't personal.

Well said Renman. We usually get a Suite and have no interest in becoming part of any group or pre planning any group activities. But at the same time, when we decide to go to the MDR, we like to sit at larger tables and meet new folks. No snobbery. Just our idea of enjoying time together. As you say, these are all business decisions. If they turn out to be mistakes, they will be changed or discontinued. If the average customer is made to feel like he/she is a "second class cruiser" as a result of any changes, the plan will fail. If the price for the Suites and the perks that go with them becomes too high, the plan will fail.

i am all for creating value and getting paid for it, thus doing things that create value for suite guests is what Celebrity should be doing. Just as Celebrity should be creating value for ALL guests.

My two concerns for anything like this are:

1) do it in private. I could care less what suite guests get/don't get in private. I do not like things like roped off areas that are not used or under used while across the rope (my example) others cannot find a seat for example.

2) reducing public areas in general whether for suite guests or any group, like I have seen public venues closed to the general passenger group during what I call prime time for that venue. Closing vintages from 4pm to 9pm as an example.

For me, I enjoy interaction and have never asked as a pre condition of talking to someone/interacting with someone/ sitting with them in the MDR their cabin category. Don't plan to nor do I think most suite guest do the same thing. I do believe though that Celebrity IS creating a potential whereby suite guests will want to use the benefits provided by Celebrity and thus have a tendency to segregate them. We have had to make the choice to attend Captain's Club evening cocktails (a benefit) or skip this at enjoy a cocktail with our traveling friends and pay for the cocktail.

Such is life and I for one will not stop sailing unless I begin to feel that I am NOT getting value for what I paid. Till then, I wish Celebrity every success.

Celebrity has said that the only venue involved is Michael's (and a portion of the MDR, which will be converted to a suite dining room) which will become the suite/zenith lounge, so Cellar Masters will be there for you to continue to go there, as will Bistro on 5 that someone said was going away. Also, someone said the craft beers will be available at another locations, possibly your favorite, Cellar Masters, which would be great for you, you can enjoy one of your favorite spots, while one of your travelers can enjoy their been.

2) reducing public areas in general whether for suite guests or any group, like I have seen public venues closed to the general passenger group during what I call prime time for that venue. Closing vintages from 4pm to 9pm as an example.

So would you be suggesting that Celebrity not close any venues, even that for the Elite cocktail party (closed during your prime time hours), for private groups. The cocktail party is a benefit for Elite/Elite+ passengers only, just as activities in other venues that might be closed would be a benefit for other passengers. Please explain how they are different?

So, if the suiteniks get special dining places etc. that is fine. But don't let them in the MDR, buffet, etc. Those are for the non suite folks. Don't want them to catch cooties :D.

Seriously, I don't so much object to the special treatment as long as it doesn't take away from or minimize those perks that have already been earned in the loyalty program.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Celebrity has said that the only venue involved is Michael's (and a portion of the MDR, which will be converted to a suite dining room) which will become the suite/zenith lounge, so Cellar Masters will be there for you to continue to go there, as will Bistro on 5 that someone said was going away. Also, someone said the craft beers will be available at another locations, possibly your favorite, Cellar Masters, which would be great for you, you can enjoy one of your favorite spots, while one of your travelers can enjoy their been.

Don't be surprised if Cellar Masters undergoes some changes. There have been discussions about converting it into a dining venue that would change according to itineary. One announcement concerning Cellar Masters being converted into a Pub for cruises from GB has already been announced. Some have been speculating that if RCCL dining concept is successfulon Quantium, X will follow. NCL eliminated the MDR, others seem to be following.

Edited by Orator

Don't be surprised if Cellar Masters undergoes some changes. There have been discussions about converting it into a dining venue that would change according to itineary. One announcement concerning Cellar Masters being converted into a Pub for cruises from GB has already been announced. Some have been speculating that if RCCL dining concept is successfulon Quantium, X will follow. NCL eliminated the MDR, others seem to be following.

I actually wouldn't personally have a problem if Cellar Masters became another specialty restaurant. It would be nice to have more options.