Celebrity Cruises to Debut 'Ship Within a Ship' Concept

LauraS

It could be just the reality that Celebrity is facing with more and more on these upscale all inclusive cruise lines like Seaborne, Silverseas, Oceania and Crystal. For Celebrity to keep those "suite" passengers happy and not jumping ship (I'm sure those suites have heavy profit margins built in) they have to keep those high paying passengers happy with more perks. A The idea that no matter what type of accommodation you purchased from an inside up to the penthouse suite you have free rein of the entire ship. I'm sure Celebrity doesn't want to divide up their ships into a "class" system like the golden days of transatlantic lines in 30's & 40's but no one want to go on a cruise either and see a red velvet robe with a sign that says "suite passengers only." For many of us booking a suite is just a dream. I really don't need or want a suite. Sure, the extra space and amenities are nice, but that all it is is "extra."

Actually, we sail both Celebrity and Crystal depending on the itinerary. Crystal doesn't offer Caribbean cruises in April so we are on the Refelection and this summer will be on the Crystal Serenity in Europe. As far as cost, it is still cheaper for the four of us to be in a PS on Celebrity than our adjoining PH and P1 cabins on the Serenity - by 1K a night.

As to the new perks; we would and will continue to sail in the PS and RS categories with Celebrity with or without these perks. Hopefully, these changes will not diminish the cruise experience for others onboard.

Ironically, it is looking like the only single class lines are going to be the luxury ships such as Crystal.

Also, after reading many opinions in this and other threads I find it interesting that no one has stated the obvious. I can't speak for others but if I can afford PS and RS staterooms do you think free drinks and specialty dinners are that important to me?

We've been "loyal" to Celebrity since 1992 but if this keeps up I'd rather switch to Azamara or Crystal or Oceana.

Celebrity is pricing many of us out of the market so it looks like land-based vacations might be for us in the future.

I'm confused.:confused: If Celebrity is pricing you out of the market, how will you "switch to Azamara or Crystal or Oceana." ?

I don't agree with this Celebrity plan ,but from their point of view it's an attempt to satisfy their deep pocket clients

so they don't switch to Azamara or Crystal or Oceana, while keeping the rest of their cabins at relatively (relatively:rolleyes:) mid-level prices.

Edited by richstowe

Just off Millennium in December. Was on it a few years back.

Their modifications have disrupted the flow of the ship.

The theater is gone. BLU takes a part of the MDR away and makes for a single file passage to the tables in the back.

The lounge forward on deck 11 lost its 180 degree view to some new suites.

The extra rooms they added make the buffet and mdr and evening shows more crowded.

Our Suite and Elite status got us great perks without affecting others except the show seating on formal nights.

If they remove some rooms to build a new suite dinning room I am all for it.

But if their new perks steal public space from everybody’s use I am against it.

Penthouse and Royals already have their own dining tables.

Don’t change it.

I see passengers paying for all kind of things that I wouldn't want or can't afford.

I don' t pay extra for a alcove but many do and like being in their private world.

I don't pay extra and won't to dine in a alternative restuarant, many do.

I don't pay for a message or any other spa treatments, many do.

I can go on and on about stuff that people pay extra for.

I don't book a inside but many do and that is what they want.

If someone wants to spent about 4 ytimes waht it cost me for the same cruise I down have a problem with them getting some special perks. It happens now with those in CC and AQ. It all depends o how anyone wants to spend their money.

People with a inside don't get a window or a balcony with their cabin and get a different room service menu. The same is for other categories. Additonal perks are already being added for higher categories so what is really changing? Nothing except for more perks for those at the top. Want those perks than pay for them or just be happy that you can afford to cruise, many can't and I have never seen where being able to cruise is guaranteed by any country.

Sure things aren't like they use to be and I am glad because if it was I wouldn't be able to cruise and most of us wouldn't either.

🚢🌅🍸🍻

On some level I don't care what they provide to suite passengers. And I don't care what others choose to buy with their vacation dollar, such as premium drink packages or use of private alcoves. Those makes no difference to me. But if they are going to take precious space out of the already crowded main dining room to create this special "suite" dining experience, I don't see how that won't affect my cruise. The main dining room is already very crowded for those of us that choose select dining. Where would the space come from? A suggestion would be for Celebrity to provide a nicer dining experience in the buffet. Princess actually does a decent buffet experience making it quite a nice alternative to the dining room. This space is very poorly utilized at night in it's current format. Better utilization here could open up the dining room a bit. Just a thought.....

I see passengers paying for all kind of things that I wouldn't want or can't afford.

I don' t pay extra for a alcove but many do and like being in their private world.

I don't pay extra and won't to dine in a alternative restuarant, many do.

I don't pay for a message or any other spa treatments, many do.

I can go on and on about stuff that people pay extra for.

I don't book a inside but many do and that is what they want.

If someone wants to spent about 4 ytimes waht it cost me for the same cruise I down have a problem with them getting some special perks. It happens now with those in CC and AQ. It all depends o how anyone wants to spend their money.

People with a inside don't get a window or a balcony with their cabin and get a different room service menu. The same is for other categories. Additonal perks are already being added for higher categories so what is really changing? Nothing except for more perks for those at the top. Want those perks than pay for them or just be happy that you can afford to cruise, many can't and I have never seen where being able to cruise is guaranteed by any country.

Sure things aren't like they use to be and I am glad because if it was I wouldn't be able to cruise and most of us wouldn't either.

Agree with much of what you said,I had suites a couple of times but wife and I realized our needs are satisfied by a simple inside cabin. We are very low maintenance, are not butler people and can afford any cabin on the ship. I book an inside and actively look for good upgrades. I do not resent anything anyone pays extra for, it just appears we have a great deal of class envy in our society. I don't care if someone makes millions of dollars, I would strive to match that.

Edited by dkjretired

At the current prices suites are I would never consider booking one simply because there are not enough added benefits.

With the new implementation of "free" (haha yea right that's why the price will get even higher!) perks I may reconsider. It would be very convenient to book a suite and get a free drink package or lounge or whatever, but obviously I know none of these things are actually "free" as I am a paying a significant markup to use them.

As far as a "class system" goes, I would also have no interest in hanging with a select group of cruisers who pride themselves as being in some sort of upper crust as others have also mentioned.

One thing that is I have noticed these Suites do not have any Accessible Cabins / Staterooms! The closest disabled cruisers can get to suites are Sky Suites, and guess what they have been excluded! No surprise really, they wouldn't want a wheelchair or scooter in their midst.:rolleyes:

Royal suites and penthouse are very accessible. They have extra wide doors, plenty of space and walk-in showers. I accept that there is a problem with the showers of the M-Class Celebrity Suites and have no knowledge of the CS on S-Class ships.

I really do not understand why you made your final sentence.

Agree with much of what you said,I had suites a couple of times but wife and I realized our needs are satisfied by a simple inside cabin. We are very low maintenance, are not butler people and can afford any cabin on the ship. I book an inside and actively look for good upgrades. I do not resent anything anyone pays extra for, it just appears we have a great deal of class envy in our society. I don't care if someone makes millions of dollars, I would strive to match that.

Believe it or not, even though we travel in suites most of the time, we are also low maintenance. We don't use the butler too much, but like to have the extra space and some of the perks. We enjoy having breakfast in Blu as a suite perk and will appreciate having a special restaurant for breakfast and lunch. My only concern with the new dining experience for suite guests is that we usually travel with non suite friends and we won't change the best restaurant onboard for our friends company. Hope we are allowed to dine with our friends and family, if not, we will downgrade ourselves to a CS or SS. :):)

Between this and the Captain's Club caste system, a first timer in a regular cabin will be little better than a galley slave.

Roy

Have no fear, first timers you can have a great cruise, if you ignore the PR. We are elite on X, in the beginning when we were 1st timers to X we use to book CC cabins and enjoy the MDR. Things have changed, we no longer book CC cabins, we tried AQ once, did not think BLU made it worth the extra fare, more PR than reality. We no longer go to the MDR, we enjoy the entensive buffet on X and room service. We find we can enjoy a wonderful cruise in a balcony cabin. Our next X cruise is on the Silhouette in the Eastern Mediterranean in October, we booked a 1B cabin.

To be fair to X, we cruise Princess, HAL, Cunard and NCL. We basically do the same on the other lines. If we find the service and quality we want we go with it, if not we skip it, like we do with the MDR on X. We are not wed to following the trends or directions of cruise lines. After 50 cruises on 9 different lines over past 30 years, we have learned how to create our own cruise experience on board.

When we cruised on Cunard there was a lot of PR that unless you were in a suite and had access to the private diningroom for suites one could not special order off menu in the MDR. We found that was not true at all...

Look for what you like and enjoy... and go for it.

I really don't see what all the complaints and negativity is for! We don't travel in suites because they are pricey and there is not much of a benefit outside of the bigger space and butler. However, if drink packages are thrown in, as is a specialty restaurant...we may give a second look to a suite option every once in a while. I think this is a good move for Celebrity. I'd rather see them try to entice more high end passengers than do the reverse and try to go after the "Carnival" crowd. Instead of getting upset and shouting about a "class system" on Celebrity I try to think to myself what can I do with work and my business so I can always travel in suites? If anything such a "system" on Celebrity will only have me aspire to one day be at that level.

I think there is no major loss of Michael's club on the S Class ships since it is hardly utilized. But on M-Class we LOVED Michael's club. However, we loved it because of the entertainment and the people that joined in with the singing, etc. As long as they have the same style entertainment somewhere else on the ship then I'd still be a happy camper...errr happy cruiser! :D

At the end of the day, I'm just thrilled that we get to cruise. A bad day on a cruise ship sure beats the hell out of a good day anywhere else!!!

I have to say that this news makes me sigh even though I have been in suites on Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America. I understand that there will always be some form of hierarchy wherever we go, and that in most cases we get what we pay for; however, I think one of the many problems with our world is a regression into tribalism. The kind of culture in which we only mix with, only go to school with, and now only travel and eat with what some refer to as "our own kind"--whatever that really means. Frankly, I think that those of us who choose to go the suite route have enough perks, but I know that I may be in the minority with that attitude. Ah, well . . .

Your post really makes sense to me. I knew there was more about this that was bugging me (not crazy mad, but uncomfortable) and this gets to some of the heart of it. One thing that rubbed me the wrong way was simply the way Celebrity announced it. Ok, call me oversensitive. But some of the wording was rather insulting to the 'common class 'in my opinion. I can't recall the exact words, but something about being discerning in their food choices and wine choices and things of that type. Who is Celebrity to say that we wouldn't all prefer (as well as appreciate the quality of) better food and drink? Just because we can't afford to satisfy those tastes does not mean we don't have them as well. It's not exactly to your point of 'our own kind' but it sure smacked of it. The wording could have been better IMHO. But perhaps the wording was meant to entice those who do feel that it is better to avoid mingling with the common folk. Let's be honest, there are a good number of people in this world like that. I certainly do not believe all 'suite people' fit that category (and to be honest I could afford to sail in suites if I really wanted to, at least sometimes), but I have certainly met some who do. It would be a shame if that is who Celebrity wants to attract.

I feel sorry that people can't be happy with what they have when they have it. Financially, we've been up, down and in between and have always felt that as long as we have our health and people we love the rest isn't that important. Worrying about what others have or conjuring up ulterior motives accomplishes nothing. Nothing wrong with aspiring to more and it's fun to be able to have a special treat, but how about smelling the roses along the way.

Personally, I don't think money has much to do with whether one is common. Some of the most uncommon people I know don't have a lot of money but they have personal virtues that far exceed any financial score keeping.

Your post really makes sense to me. I knew there was more about this that was bugging me (not crazy mad, but uncomfortable) and this gets to some of the heart of it. One thing that rubbed me the wrong way was simply the way Celebrity announced it. Ok, call me oversensitive. But some of the wording was rather insulting to the 'common class 'in my opinion. I can't recall the exact words, but something about being discerning in their food choices and wine choices and things of that type. Who is Celebrity to say that we wouldn't all prefer (as well as appreciate the quality of) better food and drink? Just because we can't afford to satisfy those tastes does not mean we don't have them as well. It's not exactly to your point of 'our own kind' but it sure smacked of it. The wording could have been better IMHO. But perhaps the wording was meant to entice those who do feel that it is better to avoid mingling with the common folk. Let's be honest, there are a good number of people in this world like that. I certainly do not believe all 'suite people' fit that category (and to be honest I could afford to sail in suites if I really wanted to, at least sometimes), but I have certainly met some who do. It would be a shame if that is who Celebrity wants to attract.

I do not think you are being over-sensitive at all about the wording of Celebrity's news release. I have always believed that words matter, that we use words and words use us. Actually, I don't like the wording of "elitist level" either. It is too bad that companies and people have to appeal to pride and prejudice--now that's a phrase I've heard before:).

I find it somewhat funny, that when some on here complained about the word Elite for a tier because they thought it was making a "class system", they were, by many, told that they were wrong and just because the world Elite was the name of a tier it didn't mean that those in that tier were any better than anyone else, even though they received perks that others didn't get. They were basically told to get over it, it is only a name. Now, some are complaining because of the wording of the announcement about the "ship within a ship" and some are complaining about the perks they will be getting or the space they will be taking up.

When it comes right down to it, does it matter what they call something, does it matter what someone else gets, does it matter how something is worded. No. What matters is that everyone on here is fortunate enough to be able to cruise. Granted we all cruise in the category that fits into our budget, but we still be able to cruise, when so many, many people only dream about it.

Don't worry what others get, just enjoy what you have and that you can cruise.

I find it somewhat funny, that when some on here complained about the word Elite for a tier because they thought it was making a "class system", they were, by many, told that they were wrong and just because the world Elite was the name of a tier it didn't mean that those in that tier were any better than anyone else, even though they received perks that others didn't get. They were basically told to get over it, it is only a name. Now, some are complaining because of the wording of the announcement about the "ship within a ship" and some are complaining about the perks they will be getting or the space they will be taking up.

When it comes right down to it, does it matter what they call something, does it matter what someone else gets, does it matter how something is worded. No. What matters is that everyone on here is fortunate enough to be able to cruise. Granted we all cruise in the category that fits into our budget, but we still be able to cruise, when so many, many people only dream about it.

Don't worry what others get, just enjoy what you have and that you can cruise.

Well said... I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Although I think the new perks sound nice, for the most part, they aren't anything that someone in a regular cabin couldn't buy. To me, the only good reason to book a top suite would be for the cabin itself. For what the cruise line charges for those cabins, the added perks really do sound appropriate to me.

The price is so high for the top suites on Celebrity, I have to wonder why those who can afford to sail in them do not choose a luxury line instead, other than the fact that on Celebrity, they may feel more special in comparison to the rest of the passengers. I think the exclusive areas for the suite passengers will help with that aspect.

Next year, we will be sailing on a luxury line for the first time, only because Celebrity and Azamara do not offer the itinerary we wanted. We are really so very happy with our Celebrity experiences, I don't anticipate being blown away by the luxury line, but time will tell. I think the small ship experience is the one thing that Celebrity cannot provide; one where the crew knows your name and you see the same passengers over and over. I am looking forward to that aspect of the luxury cruise and the exotic itinerary, but if Celebrity or Azamara had a similar itinerary, I would never have considered the luxury line.

The suites on Celebrity are truly beautiful (the M-class penthouses are amazing), and if won the lottery, I'd certainly give them a shot, but the regular balcony cabins or Aqua class are fine for me till then.

Really? How about the larger ships offer more options. Better entertainment and dining options to start. Not everyone enjoys smaller ships which is what most of those lines offer in their fleet. This has nothing to do with making me feel better or more special than other guests on board.:rolleyes:

I complete agree with cruisingator2 and would add; how about they enjoy cruising with friends who may not be in suites, or family who may have connecting or nearby cabins?

I am certain that even though there is a special suite restaurants that there will be suite guests who also dine in the MDR with fiends on occasion, and definitely in specialty dining.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna

I do not think you are being over-sensitive at all about the wording of Celebrity's news release. I have always believed that words matter, that we use words and words use us. Actually, I don't like the wording of "elitist level" either. It is too bad that companies and people have to appeal to pride and prejudice--now that's a phrase I've heard before:).

After reading all the comments on this forum, I think if having their "special areas" set aside makes them happy, what a tragedy. Often times the people in the world I admire the most and respect would not be in the "special area" and what a loss that would be. Just think what joy may be missed when isolated in our Ivory Towers, Just MHO

After reading all the comments on this forum, I think if having their "special areas" set aside makes them happy, what a tragedy. Often times the people in the world I admire the most and respect would not be in the "special area" and what a loss that would be. Just think what joy may be missed when isolated in our Ivory Towers, Just MHO

Or maybe they work everyday with lots of people, from all walks of life, and on vacation, they just want to escape "the masses", have a quiet, exclusive experience, with all the amenities a large ship can offer.

There are many ways to look at things, if you're not stuck in a tower of any type.

Happy Sailing, whatever tower you chose,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Or maybe they work everyday with lots of people, from all walks of life, and on vacation, they just want to escape "the masses", have a quiet, exclusive experience, with all the amenities a large ship can offer.

There are many ways to look at things, if you're not stuck in a tower of any type.

Jenna

+1

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Jenna

Spot on with the above comments.

Jenna

thanks for putting it so well............

Jenna

Well Said!

Jenna

Could not have put it better. We have had suites on other lines, but never been tempted to book one on Celebrity.