Anyone have a current wine list for Nieuw Amsterdam (2013 or 2014)??

Moo_Cruiser

Hi all

I can't seem to find a copy of any wine lists for Nieuw Amsterdam. We are particularly interested in the MDR wine lists so we can make a decision about whether to purchase a wine package or not.

Has anyone got a copy of a recent wine list?

Or if anyone has been on the NA recently, can you give me an idea of the prices for Merlot and NZ Sauvignon Blanc by the bottle, thanks.

Can you get carafes of wine in the MDR??

Thanks everyone. Any information would be great!:D

Cheers

Amanda

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November 2013.

There was a wine list in our cabin when we got on the ship. On day 3 it disappeared -- before I could take pictures of it. We asked out concierge about it and she replied that a new wine list would be out in a couple of days. Never got anything over the next 11 days.

There were carafes offered at that time -- don't know about now.

Just posting this again in the hope someone can help!

Cheers

Amanda

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amanda -

Check Retired Mustang (Dave) Live from the Ryndam thread. He posted their wine list from the current sailing.

While there may be some slight variation, the wine lists are usually quite similar across the fleet.

Can you get carafes of wine in the MDR??

Yes, there are always carafes available. The Sauvignon Blanc by the carafe has been Nobilo (Regional, not Icon) from Marlborough, NZ. It's been rated very good for quite a few years. (By actual wine experts at honest to goodness wine publications.)

Hi all

I can't seem to find a copy of any wine lists for Nieuw Amsterdam. We are particularly interested in the MDR wine lists so we can make a decision about whether to purchase a wine package or not.

Has anyone got a copy of a recent wine list?

Amanda

Wine list in pdf format from December 2013:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

The wine list is useful, thanks. Does anyone have a copy of the wines in the packages?

If you mean the wine packages (Navigator and Admiral) they are on the hal website - BUT and it's a big BUT they might not all be there when you get on board and some may be substitutions (sometimes for the better) so we wait until we are onboard to order ;)

Thanks for the replies to my query about wines in the packages.

Kazu, the HAL website names some wines and states "wonderful selection that includes........" which is why I asked if anyone had details of exactly what was included in the packages.Thanks for your advice but we have been on a good number of cruises and are always a bit wary of any website information as we have found the actual on board content can sometimes differ.

CruiseWhere, we don't cruise with HAL until May so would be quite happy to wait for you to return home and share your information then - thanks for the offer.

As a matter of interest, how does the HAL package operate?. Can you choose any wine from within the package any night, i.e. could you have the same wines every night if you wanted?

We have been on other cruise lines where you have to select your wines in advance which is OK but we would prefer to select from the entire list once we sit down for our meal.

As a matter of interest, how does the HAL package operate?. Can you choose any wine from within the package any night, i.e. could you have the same wines every night if you wanted?

We have been on other cruise lines where you have to select your wines in advance which is OK but we would prefer to select from the entire list once we sit down for our meal.

Yes, you can delay making your selection until time of service. The risk, however, is that they are out of stock when you do get to that choice.

I have taken photos of both wine lists but for some reason am unable to upload them here......HMMMMMM:confused:

but I believe you did send them into halfacts.com - thank you:D I am in the process of uploading them and they should be published by tonight or tomorrow at the latest - I am either having computer issues or have overloaded the website so I gave it a little break:D

OP - they should be there by tomorrow - just go to halfacts.com and the link is in my signature.

and thank you CruiseWhere for being kind enough to send them to us.

Thanks for the replies to my query about wines in the packages.

Kazu, the HAL website names some wines and states "wonderful selection that includes........" which is why I asked if anyone had details of exactly what was included in the packages.Thanks for your advice but we have been on a good number of cruises and are always a bit wary of any website information as we have found the actual on board content can sometimes differ.

CruiseWhere, we don't cruise with HAL until May so would be quite happy to wait for you to return home and share your information then - thanks for the offer.

You can order the same wine every night if you are so inclined of course. You can select on day one, but if you find one you like and you think you want it for x nights - I would follow RuthC's advice and ask them to save you x bottles of it.

Mind you, when they did run out on one cruise they did replace it with superior wines - but that was the Prinsendam and not sure that would happen on your cruise.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Thanks to everyone for the great information and the copies of the wine lists!:) It really makes it so much easier for deciding whether to buy a wine package.

I'd love some feedback from those who have done their research and have gone ahead and purchased a wine package instead of buying by the bottle on board.

I did a comparison of the wines in the packages and the wines listed on the wine list. From what I found, very few of the wines on the wine list are included in the package. This makes it very difficult to work out the value of those in the package, as I haven't found a price for most of the ones in the package.

Has anyone got any thoughts around this?:confused::confused:

I am leaning toward just buying by the bottle on the ship as we can get wines we like from $25 per bottle. I would only buy the package if some of the expensive wines were included in the package and they worked out better value than buying them individually.

Would appreciate feedback from people who have done this research and what your take was re this.

Cheers

Amanda

Hi all

Thanks to everyone for the great information and the copies of the wine lists!:) It really makes it so much easier for deciding whether to buy a wine package.

I'd love some feedback from those who have done their research and have gone ahead and purchased a wine package instead of buying by the bottle on board.

I did a comparison of the wines in the packages and the wines listed on the wine list. From what I found, very few of the wines on the wine list are included in the package. This makes it very difficult to work out the value of those in the package, as I haven't found a price for most of the ones in the package.

Has anyone got any thoughts around this?:confused::confused:

I am leaning toward just buying by the bottle on the ship as we can get wines we like from $25 per bottle. I would only buy the package if some of the expensive wines were included in the package and they worked out better value than buying them individually.

Would appreciate feedback from people who have done this research and what your take was re this.

Cheers

Amanda

Hi Amanda -

We did a comparison study of every wine on the standard Navigator & Admiral package - using what's on the HAL website as well as on the list from our March cruise and a few other lists that others posted from recent sailings. We recorded the release price for each wine and the score each one received from expert reviewers, mostly Wine Spectator & Wine Advocate.

The release price is the initial selling price set by the winery. The actual current selling price may be higher or lower based on a whole host of market factors.

The scores are on a 100 point scale, with 80-84 being good, 85-89 being very good, 90-94 being excellent, and 95+ considered classic.

Edited by POA1

We're away from the lab at the moment, but will post our notes when we return.

Here's the Cliff's Notes version: The wine markups on any of the packages are high, but not nearly as high as the regular wine list's mark ups. If you drink mostly whites, you'll find your best value on the Navigator's package. If you prefer reds, you are probably better off with the Admiral's package.

If you are a 3 star Mariner or better, the wine packages deliver more value because you get a 25% - 50% discount on the package price.

Most of the wines in either package rate in the mid 80s (good to very good) and none are rated below 82/83. At the other end of the scale, you're not going to find anything really great.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with a package or two. (If I were in my shoes, I'd bring my own wines and pay corkage.) If I only drank the occasional glass of wine with a meal, I would try the house wines by the glass to see if I liked them before purchasing a package.

Hope that helps. I'll try to get the ratings posted Sunday or Monday.

Thanks POA!

I look forward to seeing your list!:)

Cheers

Amanda

Amanda -

It's Post #399 in this Thread: Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

Just click the link above, or go here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42349036&postcount=399