Celebrity Silhouette compared to other ships.

Kashagi

Hi all,

I have a question that may seem a bit strange.

I have never cruised before and in a few weeks I will be hopefully booking the Silhouette as part of a charter cruise for Feb next year.

After doing a lot of research in past on cruises I know there is differences between ships. I originally thought I would be going with RCC.

Silhouette looks like a massive really nice ship.

I am just wondering if after going on this ship if my expectations will be set very high, and other ships will feel not as big or as cool?

This seems a newer ship and as said looks very nice but would be a shame if after my first cruise other ships would feel not so great?

As said I know may seem a stupid question but I have wanted to cruise for years and I am sure this will be my first of many.

Only thing I wish this ship had was something like a promannade like I think RCC ships have.

Anyway as said really excited about getting this booked soon :)

It's not a stupid question and your 'fears' are well founded. All of the S class ships are spectacular and may indeed spoil you for future cruises, but that's not any reason not to book.

You will find some folks here who prefer the older, smaller M class ships, but I personally would have a hard time going back to M class. I guarantee you will have a great experience on Silhouette and want to sign up again right away.

The Silhouette is my favourite ship and I have cruised the most on her. She is a lovely ship with an amazing crew. You will be impressed I am sure. I am a little spoiled by cruising on the Silhouette but not afraid to try other ships. It's all about the experience and trying something new is always good. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the input. Well at least I am glad my first ship is going to be a great one :)

It really does look big and beautiful. When you have never been on a cruise and only seen vids and pics, I think its hard to know what really to expect.

So many say its like a floating resort and how big it feels.

Will be a lot of fun finding out.

The Ship will be charted by Atlantis so wil be a mix of celeb staff and there's. Can't wait now lol.

I originally was going to go for an inside but may end up going for a balcony not far away from all the action if at all poss. Sales to general public will be released in 4 weeks so will book then. Even though its a year away its still exciting.

The OP asks a great question. We could say that personally, we love the Celebrity "Solstice Class" ships (of which the Silhouette is one) and have taken 3 cruises on the Silhouette. But since the OP has not been on any ship, they will have no basis of comparision. DW and I have been on more then 65 different cruise ships, and those Solstice Class are among our all-time favorites. Every ship has its pros and cons (and a lot is very subjective based on the taste of the cruiser) but the Silhouette's pros far exceeded the few cons we found when on the ship. Speaking of that ship, it has a couple of alternative restaurants (you have to pay to use these) that are quite unique. Qsine is our favorite and can be a lot of fun if you dine with a small group (we think it works best with 4-8). And many love the Lawn, where you can even cook your own food.

Hank

To the OP, good question but you don't have to worry. I haven't been on a cruise ship that I didn't like. They are all different and each offers something that would appeal to you.

The Silhouette is a large ship but not near as big as some of the larger RCCL ships. You won't be disappointed. And don't fear booking another cruise on a different ship/line at some point in the future. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks all I appreciate the comments. Also I am glad it was not such a stupid question after all :)

I have a lot to learn about going and a cruise and cannot wait to start the planning!!

The dates Atlantis are chartering it is Feb 1st - 8th 2015.

There was no danger you had booked yourself on a charter as it could only be booked via Atlantis and there agents I think :)

I hope you have a great cruise on the 8th.

Still deciding between balcony and OV . I won't be in my room a lot but balcony does sound lovely..

Thanks all I appreciate the comments. Also I am glad it was not such a stupid question after all :)

I have a lot to learn about going and a cruise and cannot wait to start the planning!!

The dates Atlantis are chartering it is Feb 1st - 8th 2015.

There was no danger you had booked yourself on a charter as it could only be booked via Atlantis and there agents I think :)

I hope you have a great cruise on the 8th.

Still deciding between balcony and OV . I won't be in my room a lot but balcony does sound lovely..

We love the celebrity solstice class ships, our favorites are the Reflection and Silhoutte . I would try to book at least a window cabin- it really makes a difference to have natural light in your cabin. If you can swing it- balcony even better.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just off the Silhouette two weeks ago and had a wonderful time, it's now my favorite ship after 20 some cruises. To me that cruise was all about the ship, we had 4 ports and I only got off her on one of them. Didn't ruin me for other ships though, I have one booked on the Celebrity Summit next January and for that one it will be "all about the ports".

FYI, Atlantis had chartered the Silhouette the week after we got off the ship and the crew told us about the one the year before. Atlantis must charter it every year and it sounds like it's a blast. My friend had actually booked that same week as a back to back (2 cruises in a row), but got an email from Celebrity a month or so later that she'd been cancelled that 2nd week because it had just been chartered, so it does happen.

Have a wonderful cruise, you will love the ship!

Just off the Silhouette two weeks ago and had a wonderful time, it's now my favorite ship after 20 some cruises. To me that cruise was all about the ship, we had 4 ports and I only got off her on one of them. Didn't ruin me for other ships though, I have one booked on the Celebrity Summit next January and for that one it will be "all about the ports".

FYI, Atlantis had chartered the Silhouette the week after we got off the ship and the crew told us about the one the year before. Atlantis must charter it every year and it sounds like it's a blast. My friend had actually booked that same week as a back to back (2 cruises in a row), but got an email from Celebrity a month or so later that she'd been cancelled that 2nd week because it had just been chartered, so it does happen.

Have a wonderful cruise, you will love the ship!

I am really glad you had a nice time.. I swear I may start dreaming of deck plans soon as I keep looking at them :)

Yea Atlantis does several cruises a year using several providers like Hal and Celeb and RCC. From what I have heard a lot of crew ask to work on Atlantis week as they say its so laid back and fun, and they enjoy it a lot.

Seems a bit bad that your friend had his b2b cancelled due to a charter. Not very fair on him if Celeb had already had his cruise for sale.

Thanks everyone else also for your kind comments they have all been very helpful!!