Nobody on my cruise ship?

justgraves

Hey everybody. I am sailing on the Freedom of the Seas on March 9th out of Florida. I have many concerns, but my primary being that no one my age will be on it. I am 17 and in high school. I have looked and many high schools don't have their spring break in the week that I depart. Will their be anyone in my age group (15-17)? I'm actually quite stressed.

There will probably be at least some kids your age, as schools don't all have their spring breaks at the same time. However...worst case:

It's tough to imagine a period of time without friends your age, but try to think of it as an opportunity to learn something new. Plan things ahead of time that you can do by yourself - load up a kindle with books and games, bring along a DVD player and some DVD's (maybe even do something like learn a language!), or a tablet or laptop where you can possibly write a journal about your trip (enter it into a blog when you get home?), or maybe concentrate on learning as much as you can about photography and bring back some killer photos. You don't need to use internet minutes to just write or upload and catalog photos. You might also find that talking to people either older or younger can actually be interesting. If you give it a chance, you'll have a wonderful trip!

There are always young people. We have sailed from November thru May and there has never been a shortage of any age. You need to remember that there will be close to 3000 passengers on the average ship. Even at 1% you are looking at several teenagers. Go have a wonderful trip.

Even if roll call doesn't show anyone your age, not everyone joins their roll call. There will be others your age. Enjoy

Plus, not everyone joins an online forum. There will probably be a large number on any cruise who have never heard of Cruise Critic.

There will probably be at least some kids your age, as schools don't all have their spring breaks at the same time. However...worst case:

It's tough to imagine a period of time without friends your age, but try to think of it as an opportunity to learn something new. Plan things ahead of time that you can do by yourself - load up a kindle with books and games, bring along a DVD player and some DVD's (maybe even do something like learn a language!), or a tablet or laptop where you can possibly write a journal about your trip (enter it into a blog when you get home?), or maybe concentrate on learning as much as you can about photography and bring back some killer photos. You don't need to use internet minutes to just write or upload and catalog photos. You might also find that talking to people either older or younger can actually be interesting. If you give it a chance, you'll have a wonderful trip!

Can't promise there will or will not be other teens on board. More likely there will be some college aged kids on your cruise as college spring breaks can start anytime from late February and go through April. This year, many school districts (at least the one my daughter is in, which is the second largest in the country) take off the week before or after Easter, and that's in April this year.

There's also the possibility of home schooled kids, as they have more flexibility as to when they can go on a vacation.

The best thing would be to be prepared with things to do (and read up on the ship at the Royal Caribbean website, which may help) just in case you don't find any kids your age that you click with. Do go to the teen center the first night as maybe you'll luck out.

It is very unlikely you won't have some others around your age on your RCCL cruise with you.

Please do make yourself go to the first meeting for your age group which is normally the first evening.

Look forward to having a great cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

The week of March 9th is also Spring Break for some Texas school districts. And while the majority of Texans cruising that week will probably choose to leave from Galveston I am sure some people prefer to fly and leave from Florida.

I am sure that there will be other young adults, in your age category, cruising with you.

Edited by lady_cruiser

You can also call RCI. They will probably tell you the number of kids by age group.

Absolutely - we've called Princess and they've already given us the age breakdown thus far for our Aug cruise. Also, totally agree with the earlier poster who suggested going to the first night's teen club meeting. My kids always go, meet up with new friends, and then rarely go back as they hang out with the group instead.

Absolutely - we've called Princess and they've already given us the age breakdown thus far for our Aug cruise. Also, totally agree with the earlier poster who suggested going to the first night's teen club meeting. My kids always go, meet up with new friends, and then rarely go back as they hang out with the group instead.

Exactly, going to that first meeting is the important one to meet others to hang out with later. Remember to exchange cabin numbers with some of them that you especially want to see later.

LuLu

~~~~

I've been cruising with my son (who is now 18) since he was 5 (mostly during Spring Break) and I'm being 100% truthful when I say that I've never been on a cruise in either March or April that didn't have lots of young people your age on them. In fact, I'd be really, extremely surprised if there weren't lots of them. My son liked to sign in at the teenage club just to meet others his age and he always made new acquaintances (some that turned out to be good friends) right away.

Most importantly, please don't stress out about this. I can almost promise you will see plenty of people your age on your cruise. Enjoy planning for your vacation as anticipation is a big part of the fun of it.:D If you can afford it...go shopping for some new clothes or shop your own closet and put together some fun outfits. If you're not into clothes, think about buying a disposable underwater camera for some great snorkeling shots if you're into that. Go onto the board to research your ports and see what kinds of excursions you'd be interested in. There are lots of fun things to do before your cruise that will keep your mind off what stresses you out.

I hope you have an awesome cruise.;)

Edited by mousey