Chocolate Diamonds

Sharon Le

I know this is slightly veering off topic. But I am still baffled where a brown industrial diamond with a marketing name given to it has raised the price where small carat mass becomes more valuable. Note, I am not knocking the stone if someone likes it and wants it. Just the marketplace for gems.

I know this is slightly veering off topic. But I am still baffled where a brown industrial diamond with a marketing name given to it has raised the price where small carat mass becomes more valuable. Note, I am not knocking the stone if someone likes it and wants it. Just the marketplace for gems.

I'm with you, TE, I never got it! (Although I do have some lovely earrings with "Canary" diamonds swirling through 'real uncolored' diamonds.)

I'm with you' date=' TE, I never got it! (Although I do have some lovely earrings with "Canary" diamonds swirling through 'real uncolored' diamonds.)[/quote']

I wonder if Chocolate Diamonds are the replacement "must have cruise deal" from Tanzanite. Yes I am one of the guys in the back of the room on Tanzanite lectures on Alaska cruises trying not to bust into tears over the sales pitches.

I wonder if Chocolate Diamonds are the replacement "must have cruise deal" from Tanzanite. Yes I am one of the guys in the back of the room on Tanzanite lectures on Alaska cruises trying not to bust into tears over the sales pitches.

Nah, they've been polluting the jewelry store circuit for several years now. I'm guessing that they will soon be (if they aren't already) slogging that green glass going by the name of Helenite...

At least the Choc Diamonds look a lot better.

Pass the hankies, would you?

But what about the Spinel? The horror!

Well, at least spinel had the good sense to occur naturally at first. Helenite only exists because some construction workers slagged some ash when doing Mt. St. Helens cleanup and thought the slag looked pretty.

But what about the Spinel? The horror!

It depends on if you have genuine spinel or the synthetic spinel found in low end stores. Genuine spinel is a very nice gemstone and somewhat rare. Some of the crown jewels in Europe contain large spinels rather than the rubies they thought they were.

I've seen lots of coloured diamonds recently onboard and in the ports in the Caribbean, they are for sure the next tanzanite. Should be no problem finding them.

It's definitely a great marketing ploy to use low grade diamonds (and/or irridiate them to create the colours). Chocolate diamond is much nicer sounding than brown diamonds.

With that said, I love coloured gemstones, and have many different semi-precious gems. At the end of the day you should buy what you like, just know what you are getting.

I've seen lots of coloured diamonds recently onboard and in the ports in the Caribbean, they are for sure the next tanzanite. Should be no problem finding them.

It's definitely a great marketing ploy to use low grade diamonds (and/or irridiate them to create the colours). Chocolate diamond is much nicer sounding than brown diamonds.

With that said, I love coloured gemstones, and have many different semi-precious gems. At the end of the day you should buy what you like, just The know what you are getting.

I would agree with you, the important thing is know what you are getting. That way you can decide if it is worth it to you to purchase it. The latest marketing special that I have seen is for the "Yellow Emeralds". Yes the stones are in the beryl family similar to emeralds and aquamarines and the other beryls, but they are not a valuable gem stone. They can be very pretty though, but know what you are buying, not what they are marketing.

Robert Klein used to have a great routine years ago when those "DIAMONDIQUE" commercials were so popular .

"Yes for only $29.99 you get the authentic DIAMONDIQUE ring, the 2 karat "EMERALDO" pendant and the lovely "RUBYROSA" earrings . And if you call within 10 minutes we will throw in this stunnig SAPPHIRON tennis bracelet .

A $126,000 value , yours for only $29.99 if you act now.

As someone who is more than a little fond of both chocolate and diamonds, I have to say that calling brown diamonds "chocolate" offends me greatly.

I also laugh at the "yellow emeralds" the shops are now pushing. As if they were somehow something special, and valuable. Yet they didn't even recognize the "pink emerald" (which is what they would market a Morganite as, if they knew what it was) I was wearing. :rolleyes:

As someone who is more than a little fond of both chocolate and diamonds, I have to say that calling brown diamonds "chocolate" offends me greatly.

I also laugh at the "yellow emeralds" the shops are now pushing. As if they were somehow something special, and valuable. Yet they didn't even recognize the "pink emerald" (which is what they would market a Morganite as, if they knew what it was) I was wearing. :rolleyes:

I got a chuckle out of your post Ruth, as it has also been my experience that many of the people working aboard ship in the jewelry stores or as sales consultants don't know that much about gemstones. The reference to your morganite shows that. I make jewelry as a hobby and I have used both the helidor (yellow emerald) and the morganite (pink emerald) in some of the settings. The morganite gets far more attention than the yellow beryl does, that is for sure.

I laughed because on my last cruise they were pushing the yellow emeralds and I remarked to one of the sales people that I had made some earrings for all my nieces and had used red emeralds (bixbite) for the earrings. I was told that there is no such thing as red emeralds. They had never heard of bixbite, which is much rarer than the green emeralds. I just wish I could have found some bixbite with the clarity and size of a morganite or aquamarine stone, as the stones were smaller and even more included than the green emeralds usually are. They would have looked much nicer if I had.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. Anything more expensive than a $30 pair of costume jewelry earrings doesn't get purchased by me on a cruise ship or in a cruise port. :)

Ah yes, the Tanzanite rings. On my early cruises I used to fall for the sales pitches. Then I took a Tanzanite ring for evaluation with my local jeweller. Needless to say, I no longer purchase any jewellery onboard or in any port.

I do think tanzanite is a pretty color, and I've also seen it sold at my jeweler's. But to pass it off as the quality it's sold as? No.

Yes, I agree - Tanzanite is very pretty, I especially love the violet colour.

But the chocolate "diamonds" are soooo ugly. I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy them, let alone wear them.

Yes, I agree - Tanzanite is very pretty, I especially love the violet colour.

But the chocolate "diamonds" are soooo ugly. I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy them, let alone wear them.

I am very offended by this. It is your opinion and you are welcome to it. But to make such a definative statement?

I never thought much of them, in truth, until my husband gave me one that HE chose for ME after a very difficult year that saw the death of my last parent. We were renewing our vows and he wanted me to have a new ring. It was made by a specialty jeweller in our town. Not at a mass market chain shop.

Would I call it chocolate...no...but I think it is beautiful and that is all that counts I guess. I have an engagement ring and didn't need another clear diamond. I was looking for something different. This is pink gold and I am very proud to wear my ugly ring.

ry%3D400

I nearly red triangled your post, that is how offended I was. But then I would be foisting my opinion on the community and I won't do that either.

I'll keep my ring and wish you could have kept your ugly comment to yourself.

I am very offended by this. It is your opinion and you are welcome to it. But to make such a definative statement?

I never thought much of them, in truth, until my husband gave me one that HE chose for ME after a very difficult year that saw the death of my last parent. We were renewing our vows and he wanted me to have a new ring. It was made by a specialty jeweller in our town. Not at a mass market chain shop.

Would I call it chocolate...no...but I think it is beautiful and that is all that counts I guess. I have an engagement ring and didn't need another clear diamond. I was looking for something different. This is pink gold and I am very proud to wear my ugly ring.

ry%3D400

I nearly red triangled your post, that is how offended I was. But then I would be foisting my opinion on the community and I won't do that either.

I'll keep my ring and wish you could have kept your ugly comment to yourself.

It's gorgeous - and I would love it! Don't let a comment upset you. Hopefully it wasn't meant the way it came out.