Delete auto grautuity and pay cash?

Jim Henry

The Hotel Service Charge first appeared around December 2006, and its wording was similar to that used today:

"Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crewmembers who serve you directly, such as dining room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crewmembers are recognized and rewarded, a Hotel Service Charge of $10 per passenger is automatically added to each guest's shipboard account on a daily basis. If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crewmembers, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% service charge is automatically added to bar charges and dining room wine purchases.

In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

Edited by cbr663

Google the internet concerning tips vs wages on cruise ships.

I read an article that referenced HAL salaried staff (non tip staff) were paid higher salaries than most other cruise lines; up to $350-$500/week

It would be interesting to know if that figure included HAL employees who worked shoreside. Highest pay was $11.50 an hour (as of 2013); supervisors earned .25 cents more an hour. Management was salaried.

The wage dropped like a rock when HAL laid off their employees, and outsourced their shore operations to another company.

I actually recall arriving on board when DH was working for HAL. We met up with the departing dentist to exchange notes about the patients seen and in treatment for the upcoming week. We were informed of this change in "no gratuity" required program and told by the wife to just have the gratuity removed. No talk of replacing it with cash tips. Just remove it.

We've never done that.

Edited by mamaofami

The arguments for & against the Hotel Service Charge which IMO is an Automatic Gratuity has been going on for many years..

I remember being on an NCL transatlantic cruise, I think about 10-15 years ago when my Friend & I were very irate about having the Auto tip added to our on board account.. Our DH's had planned to give Cash Gratuity's to all of our Stewards & now they were going to put it on our bills.. We wanted to be sure that only our Stewards got the cash, so we demanded to speak to the Purser..:o:o My Friend & I had a meeting with the Purser & he explained that all the Stewards on the ship would share in the pot..I really did not believe him as I had Hat Checked in a very exclusive restaurant in town, when I first started in the Airlines just to get enough to go on my so called "Free trips" to Europe.. But, I had to give 50% of my tips to the Head waiter who hired me, so didn't trust NCL to give our Stewards what we paid on our bill..

We did not like his explanation, but accepted it & just gave our Stewards a token cash gift with a Thank you note..

Now were used to paying the Hotel Service charge & know that our Stewards & other's will share in all those monies which are charged to our account, but still enjoy giving Cash with a Thank you note to those who have made our cruises extra special..

In 2007 Bruce Muzz a Cruise line Officer posted on Cruise Critic that the Hotel Service charge was imposed only because "approx. 30% of the newer cruising public, did not tip" & he claimed that the cruise lines were loosing their good employees..

This is part of his post: Quote

The fallout from this was devastating to the cruise lines. Many experienced ship service staff began to realize that working on a ship was no longer the financial opportunity it had once been. Many of my best service staff came to tell me that they were now able to make the same amount of money at home, staying home with their families, and not working 18 hours a day, seven days a week, taking abuse from ungrateful passengers, for many months at a time. The cruise industry lost many of it's best service staff over this issue. (Next time somebody complains about the declining service levels on cruise ships, you will have a good answer for them.)

The cruise lines realized that they needed to do something quickly to save their remaining star employees and reduce staff turnover due to shrinking salaries. So they introduced auto-tipping. In most cases, one still has the option to reduce or eliminate the auto-tip, but in most cases it can be difficult or embarrasing to do so.

The results have been very encouraging. On most mass market ships today, less than 5% of the passengers reduce or cancel the auto-tip. This results in a substantial increase in salaries for tipped employees. And there is another bonus. Passengers still want to hand money directly to staff who have done a great job. So on top of the auto-tip, staff often receive additional tips for great service rendered. They still do not earn as much as they did a few decades ago, but the increase has been enough to stop most of the staff turnover due to decreasing salaries.

Y Unquote

You can read his post in it's entirety: See Post No. 21

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=620368&page=2

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I remember being told at the end of our recent cruise the the tips we give out in cash to certain individuals were theirs to keep, themselves, that's why they get the extra for going above and beyond the service expected. Did anyone else understand it this way? When we figure the cost of our cruises, we always plan to give a nice tip to each of our suite stewards and main dining room waiters...

I remember being told at the end of our recent cruise the the tips we give out in cash to certain individuals were theirs to keep, themselves, that's why they get the extra for going above and beyond the service expected. Did anyone else understand it this way?
That's correct, as long as you don't remove or reduce the Hotel Service Charge.

I remember being told at the end of our recent cruise the the tips we give out in cash to certain individuals were theirs to keep, themselves, ....

I'm certain that you heard that in conjunction with the added phrase "as long as you leave the hotel service charge intact".

That is, if you do not reduce or remove the HSE, cash you give to certain individuals is theirs to keep.

I suppose I will be yelled at. But as an Australian tipping is an alien custom for us. Today I took 4 taxis rides. On none of these did I tip the driver above the fare on the meter & neither did he expect me to. So I don't like compulsory tipping charges. I suppose because I'm not used to them.

I suppose I will be yelled at. But as an Australian tipping is an alien custom for us. Today I took 4 taxis rides. On none of these did I tip the driver above the fare on the meter & neither did he expect me to. So I don't like compulsory tipping charges. I suppose because I'm not used to them.

I'm certainly not going to yell at you. I've lived a quarter of my life outside the US and fully understand and appreciate exactly what you're saying. I suppose Holland America thought or thinks they got around the issue by calling it a Hotel Service Charge but, and obviously there are numerous and conflicting opinions and views, that apparently doesn't work for everybody.

Sorry, so much is wrong with your reasoning. In Australia tipping is not necessary because wage covers. Tipping is not necessary. Nice but not in all around the world. If you are abroad, in a country or in a ship where the is normally tipping then you should tip. Otherwise then workers that expect to be tipped.. and they would loose out. Do you want that? No. Of course not.

In many places there is a tip included in your restaurant bill... between and 15% to 17%... or higher. If you want to remove that tip from your bill you better give a good reason.... "Sorry in Australia we don't tip." Or risk get a lunch dumpted in you lap!

Many ships that are cruising... based in Australia or New Zealand, passenger and carrying Australians or New Zealanders will find that the hotel service charge is inclued in the cost of the ticket. You pay for it, it is hidden.

It would be better if all cruise lines simply included in the fare and said... clearly... 'TIPPING NOT REQUIRED'. That way of some passengers wish to tip a bit of extra to the crew is fine.... but not pushed.

But be warn... anyone who thinks that they can then 'skip out' just to be a 'skin flint'.... won't be able to complain and remove any 'hotel charge'!

As far as taxis... I know tips in Australia are normal for driver. Any loose chance on remainder of the dollar is fine... but aboard.... a few dollars for any driver is usually tipped. In and out the taxi... baggage... helping etc etc.... why not?

Stephen

When I was in Australia, and New Zealand for that matter, I happily didn't tip, because I knew it was not part of the culture---or the wage compensation. I will say it felt strange, though. And was a little tough to do at first.

When I'm in a country where tipping is the cultural & financial norm, however, I tip.

It's one of those "When in Rome, ..." things.

<P>

Yes, it will be over $300 for the SERVICE CHARGE. That is part of the cost of the cruise. Gratuities are over and above.

If you receive poor service (which is unlikely) talk to the appropriate department manager. If there is no resolution, then talk to the front desk staff. In the event of poor service, discuss with the staff a solution. If it is taking off the $3 or $4 for the service for the incident of poor service, fill your boots.

To go onboard with the intention of ripping off the hard working crew is just wrong.

As many folks are thinking, and I will say directly, if you can't afford to cruise, don't cruise.

Just an observation....I was looking at cruise reviews for the Statendam on Cruise Critic and under the cruise overview they talk about the service charge being a gratuity. This was not a member review.

Tipping in Australia is becoming more commonplace in certain situations. When we were in Sydney, staying in The Rocks, we tipped in upscale restaurants. We did not tip at more casual restaurants. Outside of Sydney, occasionally you'd see a tip jar, where folks would leave change.

Edited by RJ2002