elite laundry

wp bob

We fly on the majority of our cruises therefore we travel fairly light. So when we became elite which was on a cruise around Australia we were very pleased.

My wife only sends washing or dry cleaning we will need for the rest of the cruise. We were talking to one lady who always goes home with clean clothes except the ones she is wearing and because she lives locally to a port she brings all her families dry cleaning. We thought she was joking until we saw her waiting for her lift home and saw she had 3 winter coats on hangers draped over her 3 cases it was June. Princess should clamp down on people like this.

And what would they have done? Built more laundry facilities?

The amount of laundry clearly overwhelmed the ship's facilities. They definitely should have communicated the problems to the passengers earlier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Exactly. Most passengers would comply, no doubt with grumbles, if asked to limit laundry temporarily.

I was recently on Pacific Princess, 189 Elite out of 670. Never a laundry problem.

Edited by Wehwalt

We fly on the majority of our cruises therefore we travel fairly light. So when we became elite which was on a cruise around Australia we were very pleased.

My wife only sends washing or dry cleaning we will need for the rest of the cruise. We were talking to one lady who always goes home with clean clothes except the ones she is wearing and because she lives locally to a port she brings all her families dry cleaning. We thought she was joking until we saw her waiting for her lift home and saw she had 3 winter coats on hangers draped over her 3 cases it was June. Princess should clamp down on people like this.

Why? Out of outrage? They don't want to be the bad guy. If it is an atrocity, go on, you tell them.

Maybe they know their business better than us.

As for all clean clothes, so do I. I generally travel for several days post cruise, and see no reason to start with dirty clothes.

Edited by Wehwalt

I predict changes along the lines of the Celebrity Elite Laundry system coming soon! One bag of free laundry per cruise per passenger and double that if the cruise is 12 days or longer.

The force that will bring the change has been mentioned here over and over...out of control laundry on a recent transatlantic combined with "outraged passengers" both Elite and non Elite. Combine that with people wearing everything in their wardrobe only once before it is off to the ships laundry and ensuring that everything they brought with them is clean and ready to put away once home.

It happened in the past when unlimited free internet became limited free internet and it happened when free internet was taken away from suites.

I also think there will be changes to the shareholder benefit inevitably as well. It was fine when a few people owned shares but now large numbers buy shares just for the OBC and almost everyone only buy the minimum 100 shares. Then when the department that adds the OBC to accounts gets back logged people are yelling, one poster in a related thread said "we pay good money for these shares....they need to get their act together". Really.

Just look at Celebrity over the last year or so. Endless reductions in benefits, OBC and slower progression to Elite now. And Celebrity wasn't even as generous as Princess was before they started cutting back. There were endless comments in the Celebrity CC area that there were getting to be way too many Elites for some cruises to keep up with the benefits. Exactly what is being described here on Princess.

My 2 cents worth....

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Unlimited internet was removed because of the popularity of portabe devices, not abuse. I know people say otherwise but as soon as everyone had an ipad it had to go. Internet and data charges cost Princess money, laundary costs nothing. Compare the few items of clothes compared to Crew uniform and general laudary such as towels, beach towels table clothes etc, a few pairs of passengers pants is small change.

Someone suggested the loss of free laundry as the penalty, which I would think is a much more reasonable response by Princess than putting a passenger off the ship.

Princess is not in the business of offending its customers, nor of punishing passengers for what someone else deems a solecism.

There seems to be a very simple solution to the problem of the laundry “abuse”.

Give every Elite member a set amount of laundry bags at embarkation; ones their bags are gone so are their laundry perks. If they want to use them for their buddies that is up to them.

The limit of bags could be 1 for every day or 1 a week, whatever the cruise line thinks is appropriate.

We could live with that (and yes, we will be Elite after our next cruise).

Theo

Princess is not in the business of offending its customers, nor of punishing passengers for what someone else deems a solecism.

I don't disagree. I was offering this as an alternative to putting "offenders" off the ship, as someone else had suggested. Not sure why you're flaming me for my post as opposed to the others who suggested much harsher punishments.

Give every Elite member a set amount of laundry bags at embarkation; ones their bags are gone so are their laundry perks. If they want to use them for their buddies that is up to them.

The limit of bags could be 1 for every day or 1 a week, whatever the cruise line thinks is appropriate.

Theo

I think this is a great solution.

Unlimited internet was removed because of the popularity of portabe devices, not abuse. I know people say otherwise but as soon as everyone had an ipad it had to go. Internet and data charges cost Princess money, laundary costs nothing. Compare the few items of clothes compared to Crew uniform and general laudary such as towels, beach towels table clothes etc, a few pairs of passengers pants is small change.

Unlimited internet was discontinued before the iPad. I had a brand new laptop and thought I would have unlimited internet. That was years before the iPad.

......................SNIP............................

The force that will bring the change has been mentioned here over and over...out of control laundry on a recent transatlantic combined with "outraged passengers" both Elite and non Elite. Combine that with people wearing everything in their wardrobe only once before it is off to the ships laundry and ensuring that everything they brought with them is clean and ready to put away once home. Terry

I have to disagree with you here....I wouldn't want to be near anyone who wore clothing on a "hot" cruise (Hawaii, Caribbean, Panama etc) and didn't launder in between wearings. YUK.

Theo

Then those bags start having value. Who accounts for them and issues them? Where do they sleep?

Unlimited internet was discontinued before the iPad. I had a brand new laptop and thought I would have unlimited internet. That was years before the iPad.
The unlimited Internet was eliminated for several reasons. The primary one is that Princess changed/updated their systems and added WiFi throughout the ships. It used to be that the only way you could access the Internet was using the ship's computers. You swiped your cruise card and as long as the computer was signed in, anyone could use it for as long as they wanted. With the new system, each passenger had a login and could use either a laptop, net book, smart phone and eventually tablet, and could use it anywhere on the ship. At first, WiFi was just in a few public spaces but that was expanded to cabins. At one time, you could rent a laptop and use it near the Internet Cafe. :)

Before making the change, Princess analyzed the usage and determined that over 90% of the people used the Internet for an average of 15-20 minutes a day. A relatively small percentage used the Internet for hours a day.

As usual, there was abuse and it was a factor but not the real reason for the change.

Interesting question. We are both elite so no problem for us.

Just wondering because I heard a woman remind her friends to get their laundry to her so she (elite) could send it out to be done for free.

A SO in the cabin with you, I can somewhat understand.

Doing this for several others in totally different cabins seems to be going way over the line. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

One really shouldn't mention this topic on CC. Are you aware that the top brass constantly monitor these boards. This is why the unlimited wifi was withdrawn, because passengers were letting friends use it. The next thing to go is the free laundry if this is what's happening. Disgraceful!

See comments in Red below.

Then those bags start having value.Go ahead, let people try to sell them to their fellow passengers, Princess could not care less. (Example; 12 day cruise--600 Elite--1 bag every 3rd day = 2400 bags of laundry). Who accounts for them and issues them? Princess no doubt, they know how many Elite are on board. Where do they sleep? At the same type of location where they keep the booze. A stack of empty laundry bags do not take up much room.

Theo

One really shouldn't mention this topic on CC. Are you aware that the top brass constantly monitor these boards. This is why the unlimited wifi was withdrawn, because passengers were letting friends use it. The next thing to go is the free laundry if this is what's happening. Disgraceful!

No it wasnt. Wifi stopped it.

If you could only get internet in the cafe on the ships computers im sure unlimited could stay, as soon as wifi and everyone having a device of some sort it had to go

No it wasnt. Wifi stopped it.

You state this with some conviction, but there is a whole lot that transpired that you know nothing about. How about those who SOLD internet time? Are you aware of that scenario?

You state this with some conviction, but there is a whole lot that transpired that you know nothing about. How about those who SOLD internet time? Are you aware of that scenario?

The numbers that did that are irrelevant, if no one sold there free internet do you really believe unlimited would still exist. And going back to the laundary issue, i bet elite passenger laudary is about 1 or 2 percent of the toatal done. Is a passenger getting clean towels every day busing the system.

I agree it was abused, and that played a big role in the new rules.

I know we all have our theories on why unlimited internet went away.

Most of us have seen the progression of the internet on ships...from a few computers to a computer room with a staff member. And we know how our personal computing arsenal has grown.

Bottom line in MHO..it is the bucks and easy bucks..for the ship to make. With all the personal on-line devices they can draw money from every stateroom without having to be involved with any hardware.

So simply stated one reason the ship stopped free internet so they could make more $$.

Edited by land lover