Cabin Category changes and Goldstein's Response

orville99

Apparently, brand loyalty is a foreign concept to some.

I don't think it's that it is a foreign concept. But rather the loyalist needs to be put into context. Although they would never admit it, I have no doubt there are a number of loyalists, diamond plus and even pinnacles, that RCI wouldn't necessarily be devastated to lose. Remember, their revenue is not about someone buying the cruise as much as what they spend once they do. I know a number of devotees who cruise regularly, but they do so at little or no value to the cruise line. They spend very little on board, and maximize the use of all the discounts and perks they get.

Does Royal like to have dedicated followers? Sure! Does that mean every one of them is a winner for the line? Absolutely not.

Karen-BTW-we met on your last cruise!!:)

I understand Brand loyalty but shouldn't it be to the brand and not a stateroom???:confused:

leisuretraveler223-you have hit the nail on the head.

The few Royal may not possibly mind loosing they would maybe like to replace with new cruisers that then morph into the climbing the loyalty ladder still spending lots of money future CC posting loyalists!!;)

I´m not sure what you are trying to say:confused:

No doubt every Business Needs repeat or loyal customers. No Business would exist without those loyal customers and if a Business manages to build up a huge customer base of repeat customers it just Shows they are doing a great Job.

RCI seems to manage exactly this and part of their success is a great loyalty programm.

However no Business can just rest on their loyal customers, if they want to be succesful and stay succesful they constantly need new customers and get these new customers to become loyal.

The Problem is with giving perks to loyal cruisers they create some feeling of entitlement and in the case of RCI we can read a lot about this entitlement on these boards. Some People start to feel like they own the cruiseline and the cruiseline Needs to cater to their needs. This leads up to a certain Point where it doesn´t make sense from a Business standpoint to Keep These customers. They will start to cost them Money instead of giving them Money. At that Point it´s time to let them go and not to try to spend more Money to get them to remain loyal.

I normally don't take pens when I dis-embark, but on my European cruise on Equinox on the last night the cabin steward placed a new set of all the little amenities in one of the unused upper storage areas. I saw this when checking cabin to be sure nothing was left behind and assumed since there was a new pen in with the other amenities that it was expected that the pen would go with the last guest. I wonder if your cabin steward did this also but since your pen was still in the cabin he just put it with the other things to be re-stocked.

What I know is this: The cabin steward had a bin on his cart that morning full of the pens he was collecting, so it wasn't just some unique treatment of my room. It's also important to remember that the last full day of a cruise is a very important one for pen usage, with the debarkation tags, the customs form, and (formerly) the customer satisfaction survey to fill out. If nothing else it was strange and inconvenient that he took them the morning of the last full day. I had my own pens with me so it wasn't a big deal for me beyond the perception it caused.

I don't know for sure that it was to prevent theft, but that was the perception and (fairly or unfairly) an unrebutted perception is quite powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

What I know is this: The cabin steward had a bin on his cart that morning full of the pens he was collecting, so it wasn't just some unique treatment of my room. It's also important to remember that the last full day of a cruise is a very important one for pen usage, with the debarkation tags, the customs form, and (formerly) the customer satisfaction survey to fill out. If nothing else it was strange and inconvenient that he took them the morning of the last full day. I had my own pens with me so it wasn't a big deal for me beyond the perception it caused.

I don't know for sure that it was to prevent theft, but that was the perception and (fairly or unfairly) an unrebutted perception is quite powerful.

On the Reflection Inaugural in Europe...the cabin steward removed the pen and umbrella and binoculars on the last night. It made us feel like they didn't trust us to leave them in the cabin....very strange.

I love his response. It's judt the perfect answer to a list of complaints like the OP's letter.

I wished more businesses would be honest enough to tell a complaining customer to just walk away if it makes them more happy than to keep kissing their a$$.

Kudos to AG or his team for this response.

Being in the customer service industry I totally agree. No one is holding a gun to your head. Some of the a** kissing I've seen to keep a customer is nauseating.

The Problem is with giving perks to loyal cruisers they create some feeling of entitlement and in the case of RCI we can read a lot about this entitlement on these boards. Some People start to feel like they own the cruiseline and the cruiseline Needs to cater to their needs. This leads up to a certain Point where it doesn´t make sense from a Business standpoint to Keep These customers.

Exactly. In the OP's case, he gave a long list of complaints, and then...

We currently have six cruises booked on Royal Caribbean though March of 2015 (we leave on the next one in two weeks) and will become Diamond Plus before year end.

If the cutbacks are that bothersome, why book one, let alone six more cruises with RCI? Cut your losses, book with another cruise line, and start earning the free perks with someone else. Six cruises is surely enough to get some sort of status on another line.

I was fiercely loyal to a certain airline for years before a series of operational mishaps (likely caused by cutbacks) bothered me enough that I decided that it was time to fly with someone else. This is no different from what all of the big airlines are doing. Thank goodness that there's some competition remaining between airlines and cruise lines (for now at least).

Edited by alligeek

On the Reflection Inaugural in Europe...the cabin steward removed the pen and umbrella and binoculars on the last night. It made us feel like they didn't trust us to leave them in the cabin....very strange.

Glad / sorry to hear that we were not alone... It really leaves a bad taste in your mouth at the end of an otherwise wonderful (and expensive) vacation.

At least yours was the last night though rather than the morning of the last full day!

Edited by Dave85

I guess you are right, it must be about the perception and if a Person in General has a more positive or more negative perception of life.

As I said I had this happen on almost all Cruises, including what Elizanessie described and I´ve never seen it as a negative, cost cutting, not trusting me issue.

But then I don´t buy into any conspiracy theories and I don´t see every move as a negative.

I guess you are right, it must be about the perception and if a Person in General has a more positive or more negative perception of life.

As I said I had this happen on almost all Cruises, including what Elizanessie described and I´ve never seen it as a negative, cost cutting, not trusting me issue.

But then I don´t buy into any conspiracy theories and I don´t see every move as a negative.

If you're insinuating that I have a "negative perception of life" that's absolutely asinine seeing as you've never met me. But I do hope I simply misread your posting.

It's not about being a "cheer leader"; like Pauly and AZMich, we cruise RCL frequently, but we take lots of other cruises and trips. I recognize what RCL offers and when I pay my cruise fare, I adjust my expectations. When I take other trips or cruises I may (do:p) pay more and I have higher expectations, and they are usually met. I still can't understand why people will pay bottom dollar and expect a top product and then complain about it during their precious travel time with loved ones, and then keep coming back for more when they were disappointed:confused:

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

I sincerely hope that I was not being accused of being an RCI cheerleader. I haven't even been on an RCI cruise yet. I was pointing out from a business standpoint that companies are in business to make money. If they can't raise base fares to maintain a profit margin along with their expansion plans, the capital has to come from somewhere. Like it or not, most companies do this.

"reflected in the highest customer ratings we have generated in many, many years"

I had to chuckle when I read this because the crew hounds you to death about how everything has to be excellent when filling the surveys out. One time we had a CA say that he will actually see our survey and know what we put down. He was very good and deserved excellent ratings, but he was scared to death of not getting it. Because of that time, we stopped filling them out.:p

I looked in all the odd number threads and did not find his email one time. It must have been in all the even threads. Dang it…just my luck.

Not all the 'odd' threads are in that order. You may have missed some. :D

If you're insinuating that I have a "negative perception of life" that's absolutely asinine seeing as you've never met me. But I do hope I simply misread your posting.

The answer to this........

well it´s all about your perception.

The answer to this........

well it´s all about your perception.

My perception is that you're a cheerleader whose feedback on the rare and measured criticism I offer of the lines I enjoy sailing is of no value or importance to me. Just being honest. Happy sailing Paulxyz!

:D Just my 2 cents. "The old saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time" is true,, but should include " some people can never be pleased and its a waste of time trying. The bottom line for most cruisers I believe is to have a break and a good time, period, if the weather holds out then I'm going to make the best of any cruise. I have worked hard to save for my cruises and I dam well intend on having a good time and I'm not going to let any 1 person or incident keep me from doing that. Negative people drag you down to their level if you let them,,, I would rather stick with positive folks and enjoy!!!

I second your response. I find it hard to believe that even though a few points might have some validity, no pen & paper, chocolates?? Really????

Chocolates went away a few years ago. Pens and paper went away a few months ago.

After June 1, 2015, those cabins become D2's.

So isn't that better for you? Royal Caribbean forces people that want to buy a cabin that holds more then 2 people book a higher category cabin that only holds 2 people, even when they are right next to each other? I'm not sure why you are complaining -- you can get a cabin that used to be a D1 for a D2 price.

If anyone should complain, it would be those who want to book a cabin for more then 2 people (or a connecting cabin) and end up having to book a D1 in a worse location then a cheaper D2.

I was very surprised when I was looking at deck plans when booking my first RCCL cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. This is our first cruise w/o the kids, so it worked out OK for me this time around, but if I ever want to travel with my kids it seems like I could end up paying more money for a cabin in a worse location.

I booked The Oasis for October 24, 2015 and booked a D1 on the hump. Not sure where you are getting your information.

I tried to book a D1 aft for 2 on the Navigator through RCI and was told that I could not. The first and only time I was told I couldn't. So it happens.

I think the response would have been quite different if the OP and created a list of why he likes sailing with RCI while pointing out his disappointment with the booking policy.

Today things were pretty hectic in the office I had a new patient that was very sarcastic and rude when I walked into the room because he had been waiting a bit. And believe me we try very hard to run on time but the weather here has created havoc with getting people in. I simply was not in the mood for the attitude and told him that since he was clearly unhappy with me and I was most clearly unhappy with his attitude that he needed to find a new doctor. And that was the end of that. Sometimes it is better to just cut someone loose.

way to go OB!!! awesome.

and maybe this patient had a lot of crap going on in his life, that you couldn't fathom, and getting to your office was a hardship, and waiting a "a bit" was a really long time to him. sad all around.

I agree and many Doctors totally disregard a patients time as if their time wasn't just as valuable. when Walking in had the doc said I'm really sorry about running late it would have diffused the antagonist behavior.

Edited by cruzsnooze