directions from yokohoma cruise port to

bcnvcanada

Please to assist, we have never been to the cruise port in Yokohoma, and would like to spend the day in Tokyo. If we get to the train station, what line would we use to get to the Imperial Palace? Is it possible to do? Any

help would be most appreciated.

You should read the other posts on this page that already give most the instructions you are looking for.

After taking the Minato-Mirai line from Yokohama to Shibuya, you can take any number of trains, subways, buses, or taxis from Shibuya to Hibiya, Ginza, or Otemachi - which border the Imperial Palace.

You can also take the JR from Shin-Yokohama station directly to Tokyo Station, which is a short walk from the Imperial Palace.

I wouldn't recommend visiting the Imperial Palace. You have to walk across a large parking lot for a glimpse of a building you don't even have a good view of. The gardens, however, are supposed to be nice if the cherry blossoms are in bloom though it was closed when I was there.

Please to assist, we have never been to the cruise port in Yokohoma, and would like to spend the day in Tokyo. If we get to the train station, what line would we use to get to the Imperial Palace? Is it possible to do? Any

help would be most appreciated.

First, thanks again to all the members that frequent this thread. We were like you...quite apprehensive before our first visit to Yokohama.

The Yokohama cruise port is perhaps one of the most amazing structures you'll visit. Make sure to be in your balcony or outside when sailing into the cruise port.

At the cruise port, there will be plenty of friendly, English speaking, and helpful Japanese that will assist you. They will give you specific directions and maps.

Outside the cruise port, there will be (at least in our case), a free shuttle to the train station. (This shuttle was provided by the city of Yokohama.) Please make sure you know what time of the last shuttle that will take you back to the ship.

We were a bit overwhelmed at the train station. The best thing we did was to take a picture of where the shuttle dropped us off and a picture of were we entered the train station. We showed these photos to locals who helped us find our way back to the shuttle.

Note: Our train ride from Yokohama to Tokyo was right in the middle of heavy commute. If you are in anyway claustrophobic...or don't like being touched, or don't like being in close-quarters,...you know what I mean, then riding the train is NOT for you. It was an experience we will never forget. Imagine being slowly shoved into the train...literally packed like sardines, with someone's briefcase digging into my back, and squeezed so tightly you cannot move.............I am saying this with a smile and not complaining. We fully expected it and we wanted to experience this first hand. We did.

I'll say this...we may have been uncomfortably packed too tightly...but everyone were polite...no one complained...no one said a word...everyone were nice and calm.......it was a way of life.

Coming back was easier...no crowds.

We decided to walk around the unique cruise port in Yokohama...and discovered a lot of surprises. One surprise was a spot where they will take a photo of you wearing a kimono. (It was being ignored until passengers discovered it was for free!) They took our photos wearing kimonos and gave us the pictures for free. In addition, they had a table with two Japanese women who volunteered to write your name in Japanese...what a great souvenir...again for free. At another table, they had miniature kimonos...again ignored by passengers...until we asked and found they were free! Incredible...

It didn't end there. During our sail away, we heard music from the outside and decided to walk out to the balcony. Hundreds of Japanese were there...waving flags of all nationalities. A large group of Taiko drummers and dancers performed while our ship slowly sailed away.....a memory of a lifetime...all in one port. :)

(Oh, I haven't even mentioned the wonderful day we spent in Tokyo!)

Thank you for that Bonsai.

Did you spend any time in Yokahama?

Our flight is not until later the night we disembark and I am considering what to do with the time.

If Yokahama has some intersting sites I will see if it's possible to leave our bags at th station while we explore.

Otherwise we'll go into Tokyo for the day. Bet we have time pre cruise there so would rather something different.

Thanks.

First, thanks again to all the members that frequent this thread. We were like you...quite apprehensive before our first visit to Yokohama.

The Yokohama cruise port is perhaps one of the most amazing structures you'll visit. Make sure to be in your balcony or outside when sailing into the cruise port.

At the cruise port, there will be plenty of friendly, English speaking, and helpful Japanese that will assist you. They will give you specific directions and maps.

Outside the cruise port, there will be (at least in our case), a free shuttle to the train station. (This shuttle was provided by the city of Yokohama.) Please make sure you know what time of the last shuttle that will take you back to the ship.

We were a bit overwhelmed at the train station. The best thing we did was to take a picture of where the shuttle dropped us off and a picture of were we entered the train station. We showed these photos to locals who helped us find our way back to the shuttle.

Note: Our train ride from Yokohama to Tokyo was right in the middle of heavy commute. If you are in anyway claustrophobic...or don't like being touched, or don't like being in close-quarters,...you know what I mean, then riding the train is NOT for you. It was an experience we will never forget. Imagine being slowly shoved into the train...literally packed like sardines, with someone's briefcase digging into my back, and squeezed so tightly you cannot move.............I am saying this with a smile and not complaining. We fully expected it and we wanted to experience this first hand. We did.

I'll say this...we may have been uncomfortably packed too tightly...but everyone were polite...no one complained...no one said a word...everyone were nice and calm.......it was a way of life.

Coming back was easier...no crowds.

We decided to walk around the unique cruise port in Yokohama...and discovered a lot of surprises. One surprise was a spot where they will take a photo of you wearing a kimono. (It was being ignored until passengers discovered it was for free!) They took our photos wearing kimonos and gave us the pictures for free. In addition, they had a table with two Japanese women who volunteered to write your name in Japanese...what a great souvenir...again for free. At another table, they had miniature kimonos...again ignored by passengers...until we asked and found they were free! Incredible...

It didn't end there. During our sail away, we heard music from the outside and decided to walk out to the balcony. Hundreds of Japanese were there...waving flags of all nationalities. A large group of Taiko drummers and dancers performed while our ship slowly sailed away.....a memory of a lifetime...all in one port. :)

(Oh, I haven't even mentioned the wonderful day we spent in Tokyo!)

Can you advise how far the kimono photo stop was? We are disembarking in Yokahama and will then travel to Tokyo. Our driver meets us at 10 am, hopefully we can see the "freebies" you mentioned.

Gail and Nels

Thanks for this really useful train info.

We are doing a cruise round Japan and will pass through Yokohama 3 times. We really want to see Mount Fuji and want to know if it is possible to do this independently or if we should take the cruise ship tour. :confused: We are on Diamond Princess in Sept/Oct this year.

Hope somebody can answer this.

Cheers

Thank you for that Bonsai.

Did you spend any time in Yokahama?

Our flight is not until later the night we disembark and I am considering what to do with the time.

If Yokahama has some intersting sites I will see if it's possible to leave our bags at th station while we explore.

Otherwise we'll go into Tokyo for the day. Bet we have time pre cruise there so would rather something different.

Thanks.

We came back in the afternoon after a wonderful day in Tokyo. We spent the rest of the day near the port...there was an international triathlon and I wanted to watch the elite athletes practice. We were lucky and met the USA triathlon team! :)

Attached is a photo of the triathletes during the swim practice with the Diamond Princess in the background. Yes, I'm a triathlete and this was a perfect ending to our day in Yokohama.

Yokohama1.jpg.fb54c15d9802d330e1eb0f9fc3013b90.jpg

Can you advise how far the kimono photo stop was? We are disembarking in Yokahama and will then travel to Tokyo. Our driver meets us at 10 am, hopefully we can see the "freebies" you mentioned.

Gail and Nels

All the freebies were inside the cruise port...a short walk from the ship. They are the most polite, courteous, and friendliest people we have ever met. :)

• 2 weeks later...