Newbie question about buying Rum as Souvenir

onyx007

As the search function is disabled I didn't found any thread about buying

Caribbean Rum as Souvenir and bringing it on board. (only about smuggling it on board ;-)

As I will be in the Caribbean I will visit between 2 or up to 4 rum destilleries on different Islands and I like to bring home some liquid gifts.

What I have to do when I board the ship after such a visit? Show it to the security and they will hold it form me till the last day ? Any experience ?

When you come back onboard after a day on an island you will have a security checkpoint where you will go through a metal detector, and your bags will go through a scanner. Security will then direct you to a table, or you will be walked to the table. They will give you a receipt for the booze. They will deliver your booze on the last day of the trip so you can get it packed up.

I do this just about every trip, and never had a problem with their system.

Since you'll presumably be flying, don't forget that you can't take it through security in your hand luggage so will have to pack it in your cases so you may want to take some padding or bottle carriers to pack it in.

As the search function is disabled I didn't found any thread about buying

Caribbean Rum as Souvenir and bringing it on board. (only about smuggling it on board ;-)

As I will be in the Caribbean I will visit between 2 or up to 4 rum destilleries on different Islands and I like to bring home some liquid gifts.

What I have to do when I board the ship after such a visit? Show it to the security and they will hold it form me till the last day ? Any experience ?

For my personal enjoyment and gifts the Caribbean is the place for high end and rare (in Europe) Rums as the prices a half the price of what is overcharged in the UK. I buy, surrender at the X-ray (held secure-delivered to stateroom on last night), pack and fly home.

But at least once every two years I do a transatlantic back to the UK with a stock of the cane's finest. Even fine Cognacs are cheaper than the UK in the Caribbean and are included in the transatlantic stock.

Also Springbank malts can be found at a reasonable price.

Enjoy:)

1. There is a limit per person I think 1 liter per if i remember we had 4 of us and had 16 bottles, it was a 14 day

2. Not sure what islands you going to but if you like baily's look for charisma it is 10 times better think we got in Barbados

There is no "limit" per person. Just that customs may choose to tax you on anything over one liter.

Thanks for all your answers. Yeah, I know about flying (done it before and never got a broken bottle) and I know that I am allowed tax free only 1 liter, that's a big bugger, as this means that I have to choose carefully or hope to have smaller bottles available. I don't like to pay taxes...(or smuggling)

Thanks for all your answers. Yeah, I know about flying (done it before and never got a broken bottle) and I know that I am allowed tax free only 1 liter, that's a big bugger, as this means that I have to choose carefully or hope to have smaller bottles available. I don't like to pay taxes...(or smuggling)

Just to suggest from personal experience

Pyrat Cask comes with it's own sturdy wooden box (suitable for suitcase)

Zacapa XO is a flat bottle with it's own sturdy presentation case (okay for suitcase)

I have no doubt other CC members will also make great suggestions:)

Just to suggest from personal experience

Pyrat Cask comes with it's own sturdy wooden box (suitable for suitcase)

Zacapa XO is a flat bottle with it's own sturdy presentation case (okay for suitcase)

I have no doubt other CC members will also make great suggestions:)

Great for other CC members but just to say the 4 destilleries I might visit:

Bacardi in St.Juan

Cruzan Rum in Frederiksted/St.Croix US Virgin

Mount Gay in Barbados

and one in Martinique (don't know the name)

Great for other CC members but just to say the 4 destilleries I might visit:

Bacardi in St.Juan

Cruzan Rum in Frederiksted/St.Croix US Virgin

Mount Gay in Barbados

and one in Martinique (don't know the name)

Sorry, just noticed in cabinet. Don Q in San Juan also comes with it's own strong presentation case. Also it is only about $50.00

For Barbados I favour Plantation XO

For Martinique Rhum Clément Tres Vieux X.O just opened

Sadly, not yet discovered any Cruzan

For a Barbados tour consider the St. Nicholas Tour, as it's a small family style business producing good quality rums and not a clinical production line tour

Hope this assists

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Sorry, just noticed in cabinet. Don Q in San Juan also comes with it's own strong presentation case. Also it is only about $50.00

For Barbados I favour Plantation XO

For Martinique Rhum Clément Tres Vieux X.O just opened

Sadly, not yet discovered any Cruzan

For a Barbados tour consider the St. Nicholas Tour, as it's a small family style business producing good quality rums and not a clinical production line tour

Hope this assists

Sorry, may I suggest rums on value for money. For 20 something dollars it is Pyrat XO, then for 30 something dollars Zacapa 23