Small things that add up

DeckLife

We were on our first NCL cruise Feb. 3-13 on the Sun. We were very pleased. Some of the small things we liked:

1. Napkins and utensils were stocked on the tables in the buffet areas.

2. Extremely smooth method for dispatching people on shore excursions at most ports. I wish all cruise lines would follow suit. We went to the theater according to the time given on our excursion tickets, and the excursion staffer called out the tours in order, so there was no confusion or crowding getting off the ship. And, once off, we were (magically) at the right place because we weren't there with a bunch of people from other tour groups.

3. Learning from Cruise Critic, we didn't wait to complain here but rather complained on board about a particular excursion. We were unhappy with the Best of St. Thomas tour, which lasted 2 rather than 3 hours, with minimal narration. The excursion agent listened to us graciously and actually seemed interested. (We didn't ask for it, but we did get a small credit.)

4. There were numerous antibacterial dispensers, not just at food venues, but also at lounges, the theater, and at the elevator banks. This is impressive. The only complaint I have on the cleanliness front is that paper towel dispensers in public bathrooms were slow to dispense and gave little toweling, meaning that it's likely people skipped using a towel to leave the bathroom.

5. The library was impressive.

6. The outdoor space at the stern past the buffets was wonderful.

7. Embarkation was very smooth. Debarkation was rather amazing. We were told in the Daily that we could choose our own debarkation time! We collected our colored tags for the earliest time then available. The deadline for putting luggage outside our door was midnight, allowing us plenty of time to enjoy the evening entertainment and pack. On debarkation morning, we had a fairly leisurely breakfast, followed by a wait in the comfortable chairs of the Sports Bar.

8. Our cabin was 9205, high up but with a window rather than a balcony. We were pleased that our thick luggage fit under the bed! Storage space was ample, though not in the bathroom. There was only one bedside table but we managed.

I have very few complaints. 1. The bed was a little firm for my taste. (I didn't think to ask if anything could be done; is that something that could be fixed? Do tell.) 2. We played bingo the first day on a lark and thought the cash payouts were dinky - 3 games paying between $120 and $150. But maybe this is typical, for all we know as non-Bingo regulars. 3. Poolside chair hogs don't have anything to worry about.

Over all, we were well pleased. We liked the dining flexibility and not needing to dress up too much. We even ordered pizza one time, delivered via the Sports Bar so we could eat outside.

I get the feeling that Norwegian must have a policy or "core value" of getting rid of irritants that mar a cruise. (Forgotten utensils? Put them on the tables. Mixed up crowds awaiting excursions? Stagger the times, and have the waiting done in comfort. Etc.)

My signature to be: Cruising is like a long picnic with no prep and no bugs.

LOL I like your (soon to be) signature tag! :D

The SUN is a special ship and she has her own cheering section, I'm glad your cruise on her was good. As to the bed situation, you can ask your steward for an egg crate mattress topper, it might soften it a bit. I rather like a hard bed, so they were fine for me.

As to bingo....well, it is a dinky payout and for me, not a really fun time. I just avoid it now after my first time playing on NCL.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Thanks for your review! We have found that bingo prices are high and payouts low, on all the cruise lines we have tried, so we don't spend much time with it. Agree that the beds are a little firm, not as luxurious as we've had on say HAL, but still okay.

Everything else was pretty nice!

We really enjoyed our two cruises on the 'Sun', particularly the after decks and the promenade deck for walking, something we will miss on some of the more modern (and so much larger) ships. As for the 'Bingo', I guess its a big 'earner' for NCL, the seemingly incessant announcements to that effect, which get particularly aggrivating as the cruise goes on. Got to the stage I was putting my fingers in my ears to shut them out, only partially successful! :D Went along the lines of "B I N G O, Bingo was his name O"! :eek: Other than the PA announcements (far to many IMO) whilst onboard, cruises were a great experience!

Edited by Macadian

Thank you for taking the time to review your cruise. We fell in love with the Sun this past summer. Mostly because of the crew members who made the trip so nice.

I love reading all of these positive reviews of the Sun. Our first ever cruise will be on the Sun this coming June. Getting excited, especially with all of the miserable weather we've had this winter. Ready to get away!...

Jim

Thanks for egg crate tip and the pointer to the User CP!

I have a question about how bathroom towels are handled. We would try to reuse towels but our steward would triple-fold them over the towel rod, and they then would not dry. (I spread out my towel, so it might not look that good, but it does dry out.) I got a little creeped out knowing my towel had been handled, but I suppose it was handled when fresh as well. Is the neatening up typical for NCL? I haven't seen this before, at least not that I recall.

Thanks for egg crate tip and the pointer to the User CP!

I have a question about how bathroom towels are handled. We would try to reuse towels but our steward would triple-fold them over the towel rod, and they then would not dry. (I spread out my towel, so it might not look that good, but it does dry out.) I got a little creeped out knowing my towel had been handled, but I suppose it was handled when fresh as well. Is the neatening up typical for NCL? I haven't seen this before, at least not that I recall.

I never noticed it before but on my last cruise on the getaway my steward did the same. Although I never had the problem that the towel was not dry. It was just completely confusing having to find out which one of the towels was already used and how often.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I disembarked the day you embarked. I had a wonderful 11 days. (day 12 started coming down with a bad cold/possibly flu, however, such is life).

If the beds are too hard you can ask for an "egg crate". One couple we were traveling with had requested this.

FYI, one day when getting ready to do "organized" shuffle boad, the cruise staff memeber doing the game removed 2 towels from a deck chair. He stated sometime regarding not liking that folks "reserved" chairs, and proceeded to pick them up and lay them on the deck next to the chairs.

Edited by debnjoe1438