I cant beleive I ate the whole thing !

Hawaiidan

A question, I have booked La Reserve connoisseur evening... and have a serious worry, about the sheer quantity of food served 7 courses...of which any 2 or 3 would appear to be an entire meal. I am no Ferdinand Ponte.

Has any one run into this problem...

I hate to waste great food and worry that half way through the service I would be stuffed to the gills.

Even when dinning at Michelin star places I seldom ever have more than 3 courses.... 7 scares me a bit as I am not a big eater any more.

Whats your experience...

Ron is right; the portions are so small he ate half of Angela's food:p

Seriously though, the portions are just the right size that you don't feel stuffed. I did a Chef's Special Dinner on HAL and the portions were larger and I did start to feel too full before the end of the meal - not that I complained:D

CJ

That sauce on the kobe beef ... I'm salivating at the memory. And the wine they served with it wasn't half bad neither.

Dan, believe the others. These are small portions of each course.

I will say that there was one young lady who had problems at our table, but she was very young and very slender and I think the problem was that she had too much to DRINK ...

Mura

Too you all.....I appreciate it. The whole concept came up this week while on a trip to So Cal and eating out each meal.

Each meal I found I could eat less and less...to the point our last night at a hotel my wife and I split a hamburger and it stuffed us..... and is was normal size too !

Too I can skip the desert....I know... however I am a fan of savory not sweet

You will be full. You don't have to eat the full portion. You will be served a lot of wine, and the dinner is about wine pairings. So you want to eat at least part of everything to enjoy the pairings. Remember, you will be getting a lot of wine, so along with food going into the tummy: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. ;)

You will be fine. I am not a huge eater at all. Just stay away from the bread. There were a couple of courses where I only ate a bite, to taste with the wine pairing. But I did not feel that a lot of food was wasted. Just pace yourself---and don't eat the bread.

Don't overdo in the beginning--it gets better and better. Just have some of each portion...that way you can make it.

I also favor certain wines, so I only sipped the ones I was not sure of.

It is a LOT of food. The flavors are wonderful, so don't skip it...just a little goes a long way.

I found the tastes to be quite petite. If you put them all on one plate, they would not be the size of a main course served in one of the restaurants. The wine, on the other hand, is plentiful. When we know that a lot of food will be served at a dinner/tasting, etc., we eat a light breakfast and lunch and are more than ready for the fabulous tastes that accompany the wine.:)

But You Vill Enjoy it! :eek:

SWMbI and I had a thoroughly grand evening at La Reserve on Riviera last year even if they did end up sweeping our table occupants out with the trash late in the evening. :D

The staff are incredibly tactful and fun - and you will see them again at other dining venues since the food service staff rotate around the ship.

JMBobB :rolleyes:

That sauce on the kobe beef ... I'm salivating at the memory. And the wine they served with it wasn't half bad neither.

Dan, believe the others. These are small portions of each course.

I will say that there was one young lady who had problems at our table, but she was very young and very slender and I think the problem was that she had too much to DRINK ...

Mura

That Amarone is indeed divine...

And DW is the "young" lady. Should not have gone to happy hour... :o

Say hi to Howard for us...or Mr. Mura as he puts it I think... :p

A question, I have booked La Reserve connoisseur evening... and have a serious worry, about the sheer quantity of food served 7 courses...of which any 2 or 3 would appear to be an entire meal. I am no Ferdinand Ponte.

Has any one run into this problem...

I hate to waste great food and worry that half way through the service I would be stuffed to the gills.

Even when dinning at Michelin star places I seldom ever have more than 3 courses.... 7 scares me a bit as I am not a big eater any more.

Whats your experience...

It was just o.k.

Service was fine.

Some of the wines were not top of the list,one was from a winery owned by one of the corporate owners of Oceania. This wine comment was from one of the people we were seated with us who were serious wine people. One was featured in Wine Spectator for his wine cellar.They were not impressed. Overall they liked the presentation,but, thought everything was a little "off".

The food: Some of it very good,but,it needed to be served hot, this was a problem.

Conclusion: La Reserve: Nice to try for an evening,but, not a repeat for our next cruise in July.

Still worth a try for the first time.