Where do I keep my cruise card?

AandBmom

keep them away from cell phones. Your cell phone will deactivate the sea pass card and you won't be able to access your room.

However, there is no problem if you want a beer. Charges to your deactivated sea pass card don't seem to be an issue.

Picture this, you are whooping it up late at night on the Allure, as you head back to your very AFT cabin, when you try and get into your cabin at midnight, the lock won't turn green so you'll need to walk all the way back to Guest Services.

Yup, been there done that. ugh

Where do you keep your hotel key? Same thing....if you're a man, put it in a pocket. If you're a woman, carry a small purse, so you'll have your lipsticks, comb, tissues,...whatever...

If you want to look like you're at a convention, put it on a lanyard and carry it around your neck!

Are these things more sensitive than hotel keys? The mag stripe card type that is, not the old fashioned key ones. ;-)

I've carried my hotel keycard next to my cellphone with no issues, cased or not. No different than my credit card.

If they are this sensitive then I feel really sorry for the cruiselines, cause even the cheapest hotel (Motel 8, & local rattraps) I've stayed at has a better card system than a multi million dollar ship system. 8-(

keep them away from cell phones. Your cell phone will deactivate the sea pass card and you won't be able to access your room.

The bigger danger is cell phone cases, which often have magnets in them to douse the screen when the phone is in it. The phones themselves aren't usually a problem.

To answer the original question, though, lanyard with convention badge holder on it. The only challenge is you tend to have to buy them in packs of 50...

Edited by hellsop

I use a lanyard , but rarely put it around my neck.. usually I have a pocket.. but I find the lanyard with Canadian Flags on it stands out enough I don't leave it behind.. and once It fell to the ground and I didn't notice it.. but someone else spotted the lanyard.. and took it to the pier gate... so the security had some fun teasing me when I "tried" to board without my I.D ... as they already had it..

This from the Toronto Sun article..

Hotel key cards are not created equal. Just ask Richard Portuguese of Onity, a firm that specializes in electronic locking systems.

A key card with a brown stripe on the back -- the kind used by most hotels -- is the one most likely to give guests trouble, and prompt a return to the lobby to have it re-encoded, Portuguese says. These are the cheapest cards to make, and easily become de-activated if they're placed too close to anything magnetic.

A card with a black stripe on the back is better. These cost hotels a bit more, and use a different type of magnetic technology. But the data contained on them won't be erased by your cell phone or other devices, so travellers encounter fewer problems.

Are these things more sensitive than hotel keys? The mag stripe card type that is, not the old fashioned key ones. ;-)

I've carried my hotel keycard next to my cellphone with no issues, cased or not. No different than my credit card.

If they are this sensitive then I feel really sorry for the cruiselines, cause even the cheapest hotel (Motel 8, & local rattraps) I've stayed at has a better card system than a multi million dollar ship system. 8-(

Nah, they're on exactly the same card blank stock as all the hotels, etc. People are just more likely to have OTHER magnetic cards around in other places, so they treat hotel keys with the same care.

I use a lanyard as well. When we sailed on Rhapsody recently, our Seapass cards already had a hole punched in the corner when we were given them at the check-in counter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Royalty X

Nah, they're on exactly the same card blank stock as all the hotels, etc. People are just more likely to have OTHER magnetic cards around in other places, so they treat hotel keys with the same care.

I don't know how good or cheap those cards are but DW has had 3 cards deactivated over the years and I've had none. She never carries it close to other cards or a cell phone so unless it's her magnetic personality, we really don't understand what the problem is...not that it's a big deal. I've carried mine with cell phones and other cards and never had a problem. I think it's just random bad cards.

(

I kept mine next to my cellphone. After a couple of days the card stopped opening the cabin door. But I think hellsop's post could be closer to the mark. There is a magnet on the closing flap of my phone case, so that could have been the issue.

I kept my card in my purse along with my Kindle. After my third card, I realized that my problem was the magnetic closure on the cover of the eReader. Duh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have sunglasses with no ear pieces that attach to the front of my glasses with tiny magnets. When I'm going in and out (like shopping in a port) I seldom put them away in my purse, but rather just slip them in the pocket of my jeans or shorts…where I often have my Sea Pass.

We had 3 consecutive port days. As we came back to the ship each day from whatever we had done, we did a little shopping in the immediate pier area. Finally after coming back to the ship on the third day, as I stood in line on my third trip to GS to get a new card, I had one of those DUH! moments…it was the sunglasses.:eek:

Judy

Do you recommend having a lanyard for teenagers? Do they sell RCI lanyards on the ship? ]

In my little opinion, it would depend on the teenager. My son was 13 at the time and absolutely did not want a lanyard around his neck. He was responsible and kept it in his pocket. He did have to get it reactivated about 3 times before the service desk asked if he was keeping it next to his phone. After that, no problems. EXCEPT, when he was taking it out of his pocket while on the gangway and it fell in the water :eek: But again, no problem, they checked him in and told him to go get another at the service desk.

They do sell lanyards on the ship, and I have seen them in the port before boarding the ship. You will pay more for these than if you buy one at Walmart, etc.

Hubby and I just keep the cards in our pockets or a small cross-body bag or billfold for me.

DW prefers a lanyard, I prefer my pocket. To me either fishing it out of the plastic pouch or taking the lanyard off when the card is needed is a pain in the neck [sometimes literally]. On the other hand, I have to remember to put my money clip [with the magnetic closure] away when we get aboard.

Personally, I do think the ship cards are more sensitive -- I have had to get new ones way more often aboard ship than any other place [except for one hotel in Mystic Ct].

Edited by mjldvlks