Verizon Cell Phone Service

disneylover89

I have read that Verizon cell phones do not work in Europe and that you can call Verizon and they will mail you an international phone to use. The thread was old. Is this still true? I don't plan on using the phone much but I want to have at least two phones that could be used when our group splits up as well as for any airport/tour issues that may occur.

I have read that Verizon cell phones do not work in Europe and that you can call Verizon and they will mail you an international phone to use. The thread was old. Is this still true? I don't plan on using the phone much but I want to have at least two phones that could be used when our group splits up as well as for any airport/tour issues that may occur.

Some phones with Verizon service will work. My husband has a smart phone and Verizon made some change to his plan (business phone) to allow him use of his phone in Europe. I do not have a smart phone, and my phone would not have worked in Europe. I paid only $20.00 for the shipping (includes return) of an international phone, and changed my Verizon plan for the month to include international service. As soon as you get the phone you must activate it here in the States, and it works with your regular phone number. It was very easy. I did this last August.

Thank you. My kids have smartphones so they are set. I guess I will get the rental for myself. I usually never use my phones on vacation but this is our first family trip to Italy and not having a working phone in an emergency is unsettling. I will just feel better knowing I have one if needed. I watch too much TV. Lol

Thank you. My kids have smartphones so they are set. I guess I will get the rental for myself. I usually never use my phones on vacation but this is our first family trip to Italy and not having a working phone in an emergency is unsettling. I will just feel better knowing I have one if needed. I watch too much TV. Lol

Re your kids having smartphones....not all smartphones work in Europe.They are on a different system than ours so make sure to ask if their phones will work over there and beware roaming charges....can be VERY high.I won't even use mine in Mexicao or Canada re the charges.

Make sure to turn off data and stress emergency use only. Even on a discounted plan, you will be lookinbg at $.50 or more per minute, $.10 to $.25 per text and scary $ per data used. Assuming your phone works.

Make sure to turn off data and stress emergency use only. Even on a discounted plan, you will be lookinbg at $.50 or more per minute, $.10 to $.25 per text and scary $ per data used. Assuming your phone works.

Agree. Even with the smart phone, call Verizon first to check make sure the phones will work and you have the plan in place. But turn off the data/3G....that is expensive to use. We just always looked for wi-fi spots to use the internet. And the calls on Verizon were $1.00 a minute, so it adds up quickly. I think texts were 25 cents to send and maybe 10 cents to receive. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Verizon so I would not have any surprises when I got home!

Re your kids having smartphones....not all smartphones work in Europe.They are on a different system than ours so make sure to ask if their phones will work over there and beware roaming charges....can be VERY high.I won't even use mine in Mexicao or Canada re the charges.

I just purchased a T-Mobile plan today. $80 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data including unlimited international texts and data. 20 cents a minute no matter where you call internationally. I used my previous smart phone. I still have my Verizon plan but since there is no contract after my 14 days of travels I am simply going to cancel and then renew for my next trip. No worries about roaming charges or hunting down wifi spots.

Just another possible option.

Let's just hope it works. So far it works fine from home.

I just purchased a T-Mobile plan today. $80 a month for unlimited calls, texts and data including unlimited international texts and data. 20 cents a minute no matter where you call internationally. I used my previous smart phone. I still have my Verizon plan but since there is no contract after my 14 days of travels I am simply going to cancel and then renew for my next trip. No worries about roaming charges or hunting down wifi spots.

Trying to be sure I understand what you plan to do. Do I have this correct? You bought a T-Mobile plan using a phone you own and you plan to cancel the plan upon your return from the trip. Is that true?

• 1 month later...

Laminator - you might want to check your plan carefully. We have unlimited data, texts and calls internationally also but this only works for calls from the US (meaning I can call my relatives in Luca, Italy any time I want from the USA - but not if I was calling them from Italy)

Cool fact for WiFi though: Every McDonalds in the world is a WiFi hot spot. ;) The last place I would EVER eat while I was in Italy is a McDonalds ... but its good to know you can get the connection if needed.

Edited by LadyStone50

Hi,

Going on a cruise in May. I have a dumb ( matches the owner) flip phone. I am getting a phone from Verizon for a month for $20.00 (shipping fee) for international ( and US) use. Text to send is .50 cents and receive is 5 cents. Per minute charge in Italy, Spain , France is about $1.99. I plan on using the phone very little-for emergency or so that family can get in touch with me , or if I need to contact a tour operator.

Frank

Hi,

Going on a cruise in May. I have a dumb ( matches the owner) flip phone. I am getting a phone from Verizon for a month for $20.00 (shipping fee) for international ( and US) use. Text to send is .50 cents and receive is 5 cents. Per minute charge in Italy, Spain , France is about $1.99. I plan on using the phone very little-for emergency or so that family can get in touch with me , or if I need to contact a tour operator.

Frank

No shame in having a dumb flip phone. I still have my T-Mo Razr that I bought back in 2006!!! It's best feature is that it is quad-band and unlocked. If I want, I can just buy a cheap SIM card wherever I am and use that for local and in-country calls. For data, I have my iPad Mini with 4G. I do the same thing - pop out the US SIM (it's ATT for now, T-Mo next year), and buy a cheap data SIM. Now, with the Mini, I can do everything I want from it and save the Razr for emergencies!

If you have a smart phone, consider downloading Magic Jack or Viber, when you are at a WiFi hot spot you can call back to the US at no cost!

Is it true that you can only call another Viper user?

I've heard T-Mobile does a hard credit pull for new accounts. Please do note that a hard credit pull can lower your credit score for a while and impacts a lot of other financial considerations like car insurance quotes and loans.

Is it true that you can only call another Viper user?

For VIber, yes would only work with someone else who has "joined" viber (for free), Text plus will allow you to text any phone (including between phones on a WIFI connection overseas) and Magic Jack works for voice back to states. From Japan, with a WIFI connection, called land lines and cell phones stateside at no cost (make sure you turn off Data Roaming on the phone). I am sure there are other programs, those are the ones that worked for me.

You said kids and smartphones right? That sounds plural to me so you already have more than one phone

Costs for data and calls are astronomical so do you really need another phone?

Just askin. And be sure to set up an international data calls and texting plan on their phones but seriously just don't use the phones unless absolutely needed

FB can wait

Edited by Crusin6

• 5 months later...

We have been on many cruises and have not felt the need for a phone. However, as we are getting older (isn't everyone?) it seems prudent to have a phone for emergencies. We have a Verizon (Samsung Galaxy 4), and I just checked for possibilities. I was told that with our phone we can make calls for $1.29/minute, or we could purchase a plan for $4.99 (per month, I think) - then calls would be $.99/min. Texts and data are fairly high. He activated the feature, and we will visit the Verizon store for help with actually using the phone internationally (western Europe). We can use wi-fi when available, keeping the global data feature turned off.

I have a samsung Galaxy 3 and Verizon service. Two years in a row I have set up the international service for our trips and both times it did not work.

First time I was given a toll free number to call if it did not work.Must be used on a land line but we were in a hotel so we were able to call and get it to work..Second time I knew to ask for the number

I have a samsung Galaxy 3 and Verizon service. Two years in a row I have set up the international service for our trips and both times it did not work.

First time I was given a toll free number to call if it did not work.Must be used on a land line but we were in a hotel so we were able to call and get it to work..Second time I knew to ask for the number

I have traveled to Europe twice with the Verizon Internation Phone Plan and both times it worked. Once with an Android phone and once with i-phone. The last time i did have some problems in one of the ports wih texting. The person was not receiving them. This also happenned to me on cruise ship in the bahamas last year as well. My friend had at&t and she had similar problem with texting. I think has alot to do with towers that are picking up or not picking up signal and less to do with the phone itself?