Scooter, wheelchair, walker rentals @ Ft Lauderdale?

AlexandNessa

On our 2nd and 3rd cruise with HAL, I also left my scooter in the elevator lobby area on our deck, closest to our stateroom. No problem, or so I was told by my Room Steward....Leave it there and make sure to plug it in so it can charge, just make sure you take the key with you, he said.........That is until the 3rd cruise at 3 a.m. (3rd morning on the ship) when I woke early and went to get my scooter so I could go get some coffee in the Lido and then to drink it while enjoying a cigarette without disturbing hubby......

Scooter was MISSING!!!!! I was frantic and called the front desk literally in tears because it had been "Stolen.":eek: Front Desk calmed me down and told me that they'd received notice from Security that they, Security, had removed the scooter from the Elevator Lobby and taken it to Housekeeping to charge and keep it safe. She said they'd have it brought up to me immediately.

When the Night Steward and the Security Officer brought it to me, the Security Officer told me that it was a big no no and to do what my hubby (Crew News) suggested above.

The only reason they did know who it belonged to was the card that Special Needs at Sea had attached to the handle. Thank Goodness I'd left the tag attached.

Moral of this story is that no matter who says you can do it, or how many times you've done it in the past, all it takes is one time to have it disappear and it AINT a pleasant thing to go through.

Joanie

I was just reporting what I have seen on various ships.

I know that Yonnie:) As I said even my cabin stewards on the 2 cruises said it was OK to do so, so I did. But once Security said No and removed it, and scared the heck outta me, I try to let everyone know what can happen if Security takes a notion to follow the safety guidelines and ..........

Joanie

You are absolutely correct, KK. It seems to be the norm. I used to be under the impression that it is a no-no, but you will see scooters over-nighting in the elevator lobbies on most cruises. They aren't blocking anything, so I guess why not?

A 4 wheel scooter is less likely to tip than a 3 wheel scooter. Better for people that are new to scooters.

A three wheeler is easier to manipulate around the bottom of the bed. There is not room to park it anywhere else but on the window ( balcony) side.

A three-wheeler does a great 3 point turn on the elevator,

Which prompts an important question:

what's the best way to enter an elevator with a scooter? Back in, so you can drive straight out? Or drive in, then try to back out without hitting anyone?

I have used scooters in such places as grocery stores, but never in the more narrow confines of a ship, so I will have some learning to do.[

Edited by RuthC

We have left our scooter in the lobby during the day when we were in/out of the cabin but always brought it into the cabin at night.

Don't know if this makes a difference or not. Scooter was too difficult to get in and out so we opted to just do it once in the am and pm.

I will be more careful in the future after hearing of cords and scooters disappearing.

Which prompts an important question:

what's the best way to enter an elevator with a scooter? Back in, so you can drive straight out? Or drive in, then try to back out without hitting anyone?

I have used scooters in such places as grocery stores, but never in the more narrow confines of a ship, so I will have some learning to do.[[/size]

If the elevator is empty, I drive in, do a 3-point turn, and I'm ready to drive straight off. When others are on the elevator it gets more complicated. If DH is with me, he plays Traffic Director. If I'm alone and the elevator looks too crowded for me to comfortably get myself in, I usually ask the others on it to please continue without me and wait my turn for an empty one. One thing I will say about HAL passengers, no matter how many are on the elevator, they always say something like "come on in, we'll make room for you." If I feel unsafe doing that I smile that they might like to come away with their toes and tell them I'll wait.

The one thing I have nightmares about regarding backing out of the elevators when alone is that I might be near a staircase and back right down it.

Ruth, the small 3 wheel scooters are so much easier to steer and navigate than the grocery/big box stores.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Having been on HAL since 1988, I have these observations. Luckily, many of us older folks are now able to cruise due to mobility aids. What I have observed is a little interesting. Folks who have scooters -- there are veterans who have their own, and others who have new rentals. It is obvious that that those with the new rentals are less familiar with their tools at the beginning of the cruise. By the end of the cruise they are experts. So when you get on the cruise ... remember it takes time to accustom yourself to a new machine and allow time for maneuvering.

Thanks, Linda. Maybe I can learn something from your experience.

I know that backing out of an elevator has no real risk of falling down stairs, as the staircases are far enough away (with the possible exception of the interior mid-ship on Vista/Signature ships).

My concern backing out of the elevator is making my way into the crowd trying to get on. It's bad enough trying to walk off before others try to pile in!

I also have vivid memories of being with a friend who was pushing her mother in a wheelchair. No matter how long she was waiting, people would push right past her to get in the elevator first.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, Linda. Maybe I can learn something from your experience.

I know that backing out of an elevator has no real risk of falling down stairs, as the staircases are far enough away (with the possible exception of the interior mid-ship on Vista/Signature ships).

My concern backing out of the elevator is making my way into the crowd trying to get on. It's bad enough trying to walk off before others try to pile in!

I also have vivid memories of being with a friend who was pushing her mother in a wheelchair. No matter how long she was waiting, people would push right past her to get in the elevator first.

I almost always go head into the elevator(s). When preparing to exit, I say loud enough for a deaf person to hear, "Coming Out!!! It works every time, as the crowds part to make sure their toes are not rolled upon:) It also helps because someone inevitably holds the door(s) open so they do not close on me.

Joanie

I have a question, can you bring your own scooter or rollator, instead of renting them?

You should be able to if you have them, and can transport them. That can be a major problem with a scooter.

There will be a form to complete to be sure it will pass muster as to dimensions, weight, and some other info. Your TA can complete the form for you if you provide the info.

I have a question, can you bring your own scooter or rollator, instead of renting them?

I have lots of people in line waiting to get into the terminals with their own scooters and walkers.

If we didn't have to fly I would bring my own walker/rollator. But I have seen how the air lines just throw them into the luggage hold.

You should be able to if you have them, and can transport them. That can be a major problem with a scooter.

There will be a form to complete to be sure it will pass muster as to dimensions, weight, and some other info. Your TA can complete the form for you if you provide the info.

Thanks Ruth.

I have lots of people in line waiting to get into the terminals with their own scooters and walkers.

If we didn't have to fly I would bring my own walker/rollator. But I have seen how the air lines just throw them into the luggage hold.

Awe, good point KK, thanks! So I would guess the only time it works out, is if you lived close to your port and could just drive there yourself.

I just took my personal scooter on the Zuiderdam for 11 days. I happen to have the same scooter that the rental companies use as their smallest model. There was a form (SRI) to fill out for HAL and HAL e:mailed me 2 different documents with information on cabin door sizes, tips for using the scooter on a ship, etc. I have not flown with the scooter - and I'm not sure I ever will. I would not want it to be damaged on a flight.

FYI - One of the documents specifically says "Mobility equipment needs to be securely stored and charged in the guest's stateroom, and not in hallways or elevator lobbies on board Holland America Line vessels."

I wouldn't think Hal would have any requirements for walker/rollators or wheelchairs, only for scooters, right?

I think that would be correct for walker/rollators. I "think" you are supposed to fill out one of the SRI forms if you are bringing a wheelchair. It will ask if you need assistance getting onto/off the ship. They may send you something about door sizes for you information - to make sure your wheelchair fits.