Super Star Virgo

little poppett

If our departure time is midnight on the two night cruise would I have time to board if I took the later flight from Perth that arrives in Singapore at 2050 pm or the earlier flight gets in at 1700hrs

I would prefer the later but don't want to risk missing cruise

HELP

The cruise departs at 2359 with the gate closing to boarding around 60 minutes in advance at 2300.

It will take you min two hours to get through Airport after arrival and taxi to Singapore Cruise terminal . So you need to be on the 1700 arrival in Singapore day of cruise departure at the latest . Better still take an earlier flight and stay overnight in Singapore to allow for any airline stuff ups / delays .

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing our first cruise on Virgo, the 3n to Penang and Phuket. We are planning to skip the shore excursions to Penang and spend some quite time on board...

In Phuket does the cruiseline offer any good excursion or is it better to book something on our own? James Bond island seems like a good option..

Any suggestions?

Thanks....

Try

http://www.starcruises.com/newweb/our_fleets/ssv_phuket_cruise.aspx

It will show you the Shore excursions available incl. prices etc.

Also check out the link on my signature below; it will lead you to various useful tips on the superstar virgo.

Hope this helps :)

P.S.: When are you sailing?

Hi Do you get a dining credit on the 2 night cruise

thanks

If you are sailing in a Balcony Class (cabins with balcony) or Admiral Class (suite) cabin then YES, you have SGD100 of Dining Credit. If you are staying in a World Cruiser (OceanView Stateroom with porthole/window but no balcony or Inside Stateroom) then no dining credit. :(

If our departure time is midnight on the two night cruise would I have time to board if I took the later flight from Perth that arrives in Singapore at 2050 pm or the earlier flight gets in at 1700hrs

I would prefer the later but don't want to risk missing cruise

HELP

For the 2N Malacca/Port Klang cruise check in starts from 8:00 p.m. and Gate closes at 10:30 p.m. It would be better to take the earlier flight so you can get used to any changed of time zone, relax and get onboard early, refreshed and ready for a great cruise!

Hope this helps :)

P.S.: For more info click on the link on my signature.

-cruiseaddict6583

Georgetown the capital of Penang is a delightful centre . Suggest do the Penang highlights tour which visits all the key spots . Certainly would not stay on board. you may as well stay at home .

With Phuket - the day trip to James Bond Island was sensational, great trip through Thai countryside, lunch at Riverside Hotel, boat trip down the river to James Bond Island . A great day trip .

• 1 month later...

This site has gone very quiet for some time now, so I have a question please. We are booked on Virgo 7th March and understand the new wharf is now being used in Penang which will be great, no moe wasted time in tender boats. I suppose the dozens of taxi and van people still crowd the exit pressuring you to hire them for a tour. Has anyone had recent experience with this and what is a fair price for the hire of a good van (for 6 people) for say 5 to 6 hours?

Also I understand that Prangin Mall is an interesting place to shop, previously we went to Gurney Plaza which was also good.

Thanks

Home from Virgo 5 days, had wonderful time. Yes terminal in Penang is open but going into Phuket by tender was very easy, they use 4 of their own boats and there were 2 other boats come out from the island( which we got on one) and got great photos of the virgo during the 10 minute trip into Patong Beach. It was obvious how really well organised the crew were, absolutely everything worked like clockwork.

There were dozens and dozens of taxis and mini vans waiting to jump ot at you outside both Phuket and Penang, we walked past the main lot of them and got a taxi for 4 hours for $100 ringit. The driver was lovely and full of information without being in your face pushy

Early on in the cruise there was a talk in the Lido theatre about Phuket and Penang, what the buy, where to go, what you should pay etc. Even though we had been to both places before we went and still found it helpful.

Thanks for the information. Where did you go to in Penang when you hired the taxi and was it interesting and relative stress free.

I prefer Phuket to Penang, but we went up Penang Hill, which is the highest point, then to the Reclining Buddha. We then got dropped off at the Queensbay Mall, their largest shopping mall, which was a bit disappointing only because it was just like any other shopping mall. We then went back to the ship for a swim and with everyone off on their tours it was really quiet. Getting through the first lot of drivers who all stick maps in your face and dont want to take no thank you for an answer was annoying but after that no stress and would recommend a day out to anyone. Also at the talk I mention about Phuket and Penang, they recommended the Snake Temple, a Trishaw Ride and a Cable Car ride as other things to do. The drivers all seemed to have excellent english and the ones we had happily chatted proudly about their town.

If you are travelling Balconey Class it is worth getting to the Lido 15minutes before the show so you get a seat up in the balconey seats, where they will bring you drinks and nibblies (off you $400 cabin credit of course)

Maestro and the Muse which was a mix of acrobatics and singing

A crew Show with was a bit of fun

Love Bites that was a adults show at 11.30 that they charges sgd$50

and a magic show with Charles Bach (we didn't go to this)

Charles also did a underwater escape show in the Parthenon Pool twice. The first time we made the mistake of standing back just a little and of course everyone pushed in front of us (some nationalitites do that naturally) and the second time we learn't and sat on the side of the pool 10 minutes before the show and got great views and photos

Hi everyone,

I have read quite a few posts but still have a few questions and was hoping you lovely people could help.

My husband, 16 months old son and I were thinking of going on the 5 days cruise in Aug. We are just a bit worried about the saftey of our son, as it will be his first overseas trip, we don't want to put him in any danger.

Our family seem to think we're carzy taking a baby to Asia and they are starting to put doubt in our minds. Can people please give me their honest opinion about taking a baby on the crusie, will it be a nightmare, is their definitely babysitting, how much does it cost? How will the day excursions work with a baby, is it safe taking him on the buses etc. Will he need any injections? I assume we will just take our own food with us, what have others done?

Sorry I have so many questions but we don't have any friends we can ask as no one seems to have travelled with a child this age.....maybe there is a reason for that?? We have travelled quite a bit before we had our son, so I'd like to think we are fairly experienced travellers, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on what kind of a child you have, we travelled asia lots starting when our boys where 2 and 4. you dont necessarlily get the "adult" holiday you might want but you gain a lot by having kids with you. Plenty of places for families to eat in Singapore doubt you would need to take food. Supermarkets are in basements of lots of shopping centres and you can buy baby food easily. I have even bought same brands that I buy in Australia

There were lots of kids on the Virgo and the Kids pool was really well thought out and the adults seem to have as much fun as the kids, also plenty of places to sit and watch.

They have Charlies kids club that takes from 1 year old. We saw them only once on the cruise when they were brought up to the Tavern and they each made their own pizza. They were very well organised and supervised (about 1 adult to 3 kids). Each child had a bib (like netballbibs) with a number on.

Bella Vista the main westen restaurant seemed to put families with kids all together, which would make it less stress for you. Not having kids with us, didn't see if there was a kids menu or not. Breakfast would not be a problem cause you chose a main meal then there was a buffet of cereals, fruits, toast, pasties etc. Lunch and dinner were a choice out of 3 for entrees, mains and deserts for the adults but dont know about kids.

The Taverna also had a menu that you could find something on too.

We had a balconey room and there was no way anyone could accidently fall over the balconey, but I would not trust children not to try and climb it. The sliding door to the balconey had really good locks and even I had to put a effort into unlocking it.

There was a king size bed in the room and a small sofa that converts into a bed, perfect for kids, I doubt a adult would enjoy sleeping on it.

As for day trips, I would just be careful what I chose, personally would not have issues with taking toddlers to most places, except the stroller would be a pain to use.

Anything else just ask

When we traveled on the Virgo x 2 we did notice some families with children and befriended a couple from the US who were traveling with their 19 month and 4 year old boys , both of whom were very well behaved.

Must admit both parents were full on watching and supervising both though and there wasn't a lot of free time for themselves.

The kids club seemed rather empty on our trips and apart from only seeing a few children at meal times ( they are I believe required to eat before a certain time at night ) obviously your evening entertainment might be curtailed somewhat .

On the excursions our friends managed their 2 children and fold out strollers/small backpacks well , the buses for onshore trips are well used to making sure everyone on board is comfy.

Just bring your bottled water wherever you go , and hand wipes.

My only concern was at the pools , now I know this may offend some people but some nationalities are not terribly hygienic when it comes to their children's nappies / soiled swimwear etc. I saw a few mums wash out dirty swimmers under the pool shower , and change their nappies on tables.

The jacuzzis were often full with just about the whole family in one , frankly these were the only things that put me off swimming/using the pools.

Traveling throughout Asia with a small child is easily done .

Hi there,

Hope I have joined the right message board (sorry am new to this), but just wanting to hear from anyone that has travelled on Superstar Virgo recently. We are taking the 5 night cruise from Singapore next month (a very long awaited holiday), and we were keen to hear the honest opinions (and / or tips) of those that have travelled on this ship recently. Thanks so much!

Hi there,

Hope I have joined the right message board (sorry am new to this), but just wanting to hear from anyone that has travelled on Superstar Virgo recently. We are taking the 5 night cruise from Singapore next month (a very long awaited holiday), and we were keen to hear the honest opinions (and / or tips) of those that have travelled on this ship recently. Thanks so much!

We are also sailing on the Virgo next month, this will be our 4th time. The Virgo is a beautiful ship and you are treated like royalty. Up to 6 meals a day, non-stop activities, entertainment, or sit back and relax, there's something for everybody. One tip would be to avoid the buffet if you don't like crowds. The Bella Vista is also free and is quite classy, plus you get waited on. I don't know if this is your first time on a cruise, but if you have a balcony cabin you receive S$400 food and beverage allowance. This covers all your drinks and any meals at the paying restaurants. There is no tipping on the Virgo and everything is booked to your cabin. You simply fix the bill at the end. Also you hand over your passport when you board the ship and don't see it until the end, with a few extra stamps in it. Hassle free! I'm sure you will become addicted, as we are.

Thanks for the tips graflea, it is must be a fantastic cruise if you are heading back for the fourth time. My husband and I sailed on Superstar Gemini for our honeymoon a good 14 years ago, and this will be the first cruise holiday we have had since then (not as young now, and with 2 kids in tow!). Have a fabulous time next month, and we may just bump into you on the boat (we are on the 26th March sailing) :o

Hi Boeckli,

Thanks for the links to your photos, I have just been viewing the beautiful pictures of your most recent Virgo trip and am starting to get really excited about our upcoming holiday. It is really encouraging to hear from people that have enjoyed traveling on Virgo so much that they have returned for further holidays! We traveled on Gemini years ago, and it was definitely the most memorable holiday we have had to date. :o

Hi Boeckli,

Thanks for the links to your photos, I have just been viewing the beautiful pictures of your most recent Virgo trip and am starting to get really excited about our upcoming holiday. It is really encouraging to hear from people that have enjoyed traveling on Virgo so much that they have returned for further holidays! We traveled on Gemini years ago, and it was definitely the most memorable holiday we have had to date. :o

Glad you enjoyed the photos :)

Archived