Super Star Virgo

little poppett

My husband and I cruised on the Virgo, and had a terrible time, the food was terrible, and catered mainly for indian/asian passengers.That was possibly because about. 90% of passengers were either Indian/ asian. People pushed and shoved where ever you went, we had aterrible time, and everyone I hav met since our cruise said the same thing they wouldn't cruise on virgo again

If I remember your posts along these lines before you even booked the cruise - you were told what to expect - clearly it looks like would be happier on cruises that cater for and carry mainly Australian passengers.

Hi all Virgo lovers - myself included.:D

It seems that Star Cruises jaunt into the Indian market is really affecting the style of passenger they are attracting nowadays. It is unfortunate that the Indian culture is slightly different to that of other nations with respect to their disregard for others and the manners they seem to lack.

What people must remember is that these people are brought up with a different set of values in our eyes and there are also passengers from other countries who can be rude and condascending.

Please dont see Virgo differently because of its passengers and have a thought for the wonderful crew who also have to deal with different attitudes from different cultures. Not everyone is perfect and a little bit of understanding is needed when the Indians jump into the pool without bathing first, push into the queues, be rude to staff and passengers, spit

into the pool, demand priority and return late to shuttle buses with no regard to timelines or fellow passengers.:mad:

This is just part of the wonderful experience you can gain from travelling and Superstar Virgo and its staff are still the best at sea. Dont blame the ship or its staff for some passengers behaviour.

On our last Virgo voyage we met a lovely Indian couple who were just as disgusted at their fellow countrymen who showed a total lack of respect for everyone and put it down to the volume of people in India and the class values which go hand in hand with this.

All cultures have good and bad within them it just seems India is lacking in the manners department when it comes to the way we view them.

The asian crew are just too polite to say anything and to pull them into line which is something that may help. I must admit though when we last cruised a poor waiter had to endure a terrible tirade from an Indian passenger because the ice ordered had melted slightly in the ice bucket.:eek:

I would also be hesitant to say anything to the passenger from the way I saw them act which was fairly arrogant and not very nice to see.:o

Keep enjoying Virgo everyone as she is truly a wonderful ship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lucky you! I've went on the ship for more than fifteen times, so I am familiar with every nook and cranny on this vessel.

There is no compulsory tipping, but childcare services do charge a fee. Places for your little one to have fun include the children's pool at Deck 10, right outside the arcade, and activities that usually cater to families. Check the daily newsletter onboard the ship, the Star Navigator, for activities including crafts making and parties.

The main dining room is Bella Vista which is free of charge. Other complimentary dining areas include the Meditarrenian Buffet, a buffet-style cafeteria, the Pavilion Room, which serves food from the orient, and Galaxy of the Stars, which sometimes serves buffets for early risers.

It is advised to take some swimming gear for the beaches at Penang and Phuket. Although the counter does provide shore excursions, one could find tour operators after disembarking the ship which offer very affordable rates. Penang and Phuket are popular family destinations - you may read in the ports section.

Terri Parad is a famous juggler who performs at the Moulin Rogue in France. He has fantastic future for both adults and children. Although there are some sexual references, these are minor and most laugh them off. It is very humorous. Sometimes there is children entertainment onboard. The last time was in 2008 when (the animated) Mr. Bean from Britain stepped onboard the ship.

That's what I could tell you. And here's an interesting note: Star Cruises OWNS Norweigian Cruise Line.

Hi all Virgo lovers - myself included.:D

It seems that Star Cruises jaunt into the Indian market is really affecting the style of passenger they are attracting nowadays. It is unfortunate that the Indian culture is slightly different to that of other nations with respect to their disregard for others and the manners they seem to lack.

What people must remember is that these people are brought up with a different set of values in our eyes and there are also passengers from other countries who can be rude and condascending.

Please dont see Virgo differently because of its passengers and have a thought for the wonderful crew who also have to deal with different attitudes from different cultures. Not everyone is perfect and a little bit of understanding is needed when the Indians jump into the pool without bathing first, push into the queues, be rude to staff and passengers, spit

into the pool, demand priority and return late to shuttle buses with no regard to timelines or fellow passengers.:mad:

This is just part of the wonderful experience you can gain from travelling and Superstar Virgo and its staff are still the best at sea. Dont blame the ship or its staff for some passengers behaviour.

On our last Virgo voyage we met a lovely Indian couple who were just as disgusted at their fellow countrymen who showed a total lack of respect for everyone and put it down to the volume of people in India and the class values which go hand in hand with this.

All cultures have good and bad within them it just seems India is lacking in the manners department when it comes to the way we view them.

The asian crew are just too polite to say anything and to pull them into line which is something that may help. I must admit though when we last cruised a poor waiter had to endure a terrible tirade from an Indian passenger because the ice ordered had melted slightly in the ice bucket.:eek:

I would also be hesitant to say anything to the passenger from the way I saw them act which was fairly arrogant and not very nice to see.:o

Keep enjoying Virgo everyone as she is truly a wonderful ship.

I may not be an Indian, but I do say that due to the amount of Indians of the ship, there would be some rude ones that jump into the pool or complaint. Others are quite friendly, though, based on my observations.

• 1 month later...
Boeckli,

How did you enjoy your cruise? We are going in July, 4th time on the Virgo....can't wait! :D

Cheers

Justine

Hi Justine,

We are first time cruising on the Virgo in July '11. Which cruise/dates are you on?

Cheers

Rick

That's great, see you on the ship!:D

This is our 4th cruise on the Virgo....due to work, school and sporting commitments all other cruises are either too long or at the wrong time of the year...LOL.

If you have any questions about the ship or the cruise, just ask.

Cheers

Justine

Boeckli,

How did you enjoy your cruise? We are going in July, 4th time on the Virgo....can't wait! :D

Cheers

Justine

Hi Justine - sorry I haven't replied before now ...

We had a great time, as always on Virgo. This was out 8th time on her and exactly 10 yrs since our first cruise (also on Virgo).

The crew is just as friendly and hard-working as ever - from the Captain right down to cabin stewards, waiters, even maintenance guys like painters etc.

Food is of course very subjective, but we very much enjoyed all we had.

My husband celebrated a special birthday on the cruise and the friendly staff in Noble House made sure we had an evening to remember.

We stayed 5 nights and there was a very definite difference between the Sun-Wed portion and the remaining time in terms of passengers mix.

The ship is in remarkably good condition - spic and span inside and out. We remarked on this to the Captain and that we had some rust on our balcony and he advised that a general balcony refurbishment program was underway or about to begin.

The one negative point worth mentioning is the fact that "Out of Africa" where previously you could enjoy a coffee and some nice cake and where Karaoke was often taking place, is now full of poker machines. These have also been installed on the port side of "The Observatory" (the outer portion of Galaxy of the Stars) with darker window shades drawn at all times.

All up we would have no hesitation in sailing on Superstar Virgo again - provided they come up with an itinerary other than up and down the Straits of Malacca ...

Enjoy your cruise!

If you have any questions about the ship or the cruise, just ask.

Cheers

Justine

Thanks for the offer Justine, no doubt we will start picking your brains as the cruise gets closer. Obviously as first timers we have a whole lot to learn and i expect we may get a little overwhelmed with everything. Certainly will get your opinion on where to eat, and what activities to do on and off the ship. Do know what deck you will be on?

Cheers

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I am new to cruising. I booked a 5N trip on 10th July 2011, using my RW Manila Gaming point.

I understand that 6 FREE meals provided daily. True??

What other expenses that we need to pay during the 5 night?

Skwong76,

Accommodation, meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner,morning and afternoon tea) and most entertainment are included in your fare. I think there is also a late night supper, but we never stay up that late :).

There are 2 inclusive restaurants, the Bella Vista and the Pavilion, plus the Mediterranean buffet.

Alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, some late night (adult) entertainment, Spa treatments, bingo, internet, excursions, child care and all the other restaurants cost extra.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise

Cheers

Justine

Thanks, Justin. But, I booked Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony using my Resorts World Manila, 3680 gaming points.

Therefore, I am curious if the benefit will be the same. I called them many times, and they told me that

6 FREE Meals are provided daily.

What other charges that I need to pay, such as PASSENGER HANDLING CHARGES, Holiday surcharge, etc? http://www.bridgestravel.com/cruises/ss-virgo_6Dflycruise.html

Can I have your MSN? My msn is skwong@hotmail.com

The meals are free in the included restaurants only ie. Bella Vista, Pavilion and the Mediterranean Buffet. Meals in all other restaurants are subject to an extra charge, no matter what cabin you are in. With a balcony cabin you will have SGD400 to spend on food and beverages, this should cover the specialty restaurants costs.

Thanks, Justin. But, I booked Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony using my Resorts World Manila, 3680 gaming points.

Therefore, I am curious if the benefit will be the same. I called them many times, and they told me that

6 FREE Meals are provided daily.

What other charges that I need to pay, such as PASSENGER HANDLING CHARGES, Holiday surcharge, etc? http://www.bridgestravel.com/cruises/ss-virgo_6Dflycruise.html

The fact that you booked with gaming points should not make any difference as to what meals etc. are included.

Not sure if you need to pay things like passenger handling charges, you will need to check that with Starcruises or the RWM people.

When we book here in Australia, these type of charges are included in the fare (but we also pay the fare and not use points!).

And yes, you can really have 6 meals per day for free - :)

breakfast

morning tea at Mediterranean Terrace

lunch

afternoon tea at Mediterranean Terrace

dinner

midnight supper at Mediterranean Buffet

ooo no... I called them and they informed me that, no credit will be given because i booked , using my points. Credit is only give to those who book using cash/credit card. :-(

Anyway, it's fine.

By the way, any smoker here in this forum? How much cigarettes cost on board? :-)

I am considering one of these cruises for either 2012 or 2013.Most likely on the Superstar Virgo ex Singapore that takes in Penang,Phuket,Langkawi and a couple of other little places they do.

If you add in a few days before and after the cruise in Singapore to the holiday plus your flights return it doesn't work out much more expensive to the much inferior P&O Australia product which use much older cruise ships and don't offer really that many variations on the places they go.

Archived