22 Day Mediterranean & Adriatic Exploree

Stratheden

Has any one been on this cruise or any other Mediterranean Cruise with HAL. Without the search function it is a bit difficult to find any threads.

It is on the MS Noordam - I have been on the Zuiderdam and really enjoyed that. It don't particularly enjoy land based tours and was hoping to get a taste of the Mediterranean with a cruise.

We did the Iberian Adventure (Rome to Rotterdam), but the Med is well known to us, because we have vacationed all over it in the past 10 years.

I suggest you find the roll call for that specific sailing or look at the boards that contain the ports you want to visit to see what others are doing for trips and excursions and if that appeals to you.

Are going to do the Med because you want to enjoy the food, the culture, the languages? Are you going to do the Med because you want to enjoy the sea? Without knowing what you are looking for in your cruise it's hard to give advice.

I did a 24 night Med cruise last August with HAL on the Nieuw Amsterdam and had a great time. There were a number of Aussies on board, along with other Commonwealth cruisers so there was a Commonwealth brunch during one leg and a Commonwealth lunch during the other leg plus poolside cocktail parties for the Aussies and Kiwis. With HAL's new On Location program there were more themed sailaways than I have seen on previous cruises.

I also found that the NA generally spent longer in port than other cruise lines so you should certainly be able to get a little taste of the place.

I have booked again, this time going on the Noordam for 37 nights later this year as for once the fares are much more competitively priced for Aussies than for North American cruisers. I also found that last year HAL Australia honoured fare drops so I got a really good rate after 3 fare drops - so maybe the same might happen again this year.

I was on the Zuiderdam several years ago so if you enjoyed that, I'm sure you will enjoy the Nordam.

I did 11 nights of this cruise last year on the Noordam. It was very port intensive which I found ideal and the variety of ports was great. We didn't manage to dock at Santorini or Ketakalon however due to the weather but Heraklion in Crete was substituted for Ketakalon ....a trip down memory lane for me as I once lived there.

The ship was lovely and clean, good staff and generally seemed to be a very chilled out cruise.

I did a 21 day Western and Eastern Collector's Cruise last April/May. It was great but very busy. We missed only one port - Tunisia - due to wind conditions. I'm glad we did it but I'm one who prefers a balance of port and sea days. Of course, when one travels far from home, one wants to take in all that one thinks they can. We did end up staying on the ship for the last day in Naples (the only repeat port between the two segments) just because my DM needed the rest.

Has any one been on this cruise or any other Mediterranean Cruise with HAL. Without the search function it is a bit difficult to find any threads.

It is on the MS Noordam - I have been on the Zuiderdam and really enjoyed that. It don't particularly enjoy land based tours and was hoping to get a taste of the Mediterranean with a cruise.

We did the 20 day Med Collector cruise on the Noordam a few years ago - one of the best cruises we have been on...made many friends, some of whom we continue travelling with. The ports were fabulous and we did a lot of independent private excursions. try and join your roll call.

Carol

I think we had only 4 formal nights for our 21 day cruise. Our documents said there would be 6, but we had only 2 for each segment (one was 10 days, the other 11 days).

Thank you, that's a good help!

As we are coming all the way from Australia, I am hoping to get away with taking only 2 formal dresses! Then can wear black pants n sparkly top for some formal nights.

It helps to know what to expect so thank you!

Cheers

Amanda

The Med is one of our favourite places to go - we love Europe so we have been a few time and going back this fall.

If you don't like land based tours, then a cruise is the ideal way to do it. You won't see everything of course - and don't try to - just enjoy what you do see and soak in the ambience.

We love them - they can be a reasonable way to travel in Europe where food and hotels can be expensive.

Try to get there a couple of days early at the least and explore your port of call you are embarking from and get over any jet lag and relaxed for your cruise.

Have fun - you are in for a treat!