What's going on with the Epic??

grandgeezer

I was just looking for a last minute Caribbean cruise going sometime in March. I prefer Celebrity, but I go where the deals are. I was stunned at the low prices for the Epic, all categories, for this period. Oceanviews under $500 p.p., balconys under $600 p.p., and to top it off, mini suites for $649 p.p. In a lot of cases, this is hundreds of dollars less than any of the other lines. I've read the reviews but they don't paint a bad enough picture to warrant these low of prices.

Epic was the guinea pig that failed somewhat and many of her flaws have been fixed in the design of Breakaway class ships.

Many say that because of the contemporary bathroom design she sells better in Europe and that's why she is moving here year-round after summer 2015.

A lot of people don't like large ships and when you are that large it takes more people to fill it up.... so the fares for last minute sailings may be lower.

I would go on an Epic cruise with no reservations - if you want to try it you should enjoy it. But keep in mind that except for the "freestyle" concept it is not like any other cruising experience with NCL.

I was just looking for a last minute Caribbean cruise going sometime in March. I prefer Celebrity, but I go where the deals are. I was stunned at the low prices for the Epic, all categories, for this period. Oceanviews under $500 p.p., balconys under $600 p.p., and to top it off, mini suites for $649 p.p. In a lot of cases, this is hundreds of dollars less than any of the other lines. I've read the reviews but they don't paint a bad enough picture to warrant these low of prices.

I hope you booked!

Sounds like a great deal!

LOVE the EPIC!

Getaway driving down cost of Epic is reasonable, although for April 5 cruise prices across the board have dropped yet another 100 bucks on the Getaway. An ebbing tide lowers all boats.

We were one of those planning on the Getaway and then jumped ship at last minute to Epic for April 6 because prices were so low. We paid $939pp in October 2010 for Epic B3 cabins and same rooms on Epic are now $559. Sorry Getaway - I'll miss that new ship smell but we'll see you maybe next year.

First time on Epic was right after a trip on the new Oasis and we had a great time (of course, because it's a cruise!) but do recall nit-picking alot about how Epic didn't do this or that as well as Oasis. But time heals all and we're back on the Epic soon...

Book it as quickly as possible. Epic is a beautiful ship. I've sailed my fair share of these megaships. Epic remans my favorite.

Getaway driving down cost of Epic is reasonable, although for April 5 cruise prices across the board have dropped yet another 100 bucks on the Getaway. An ebbing tide lowers all boats.

We were one of those planning on the Getaway and then jumped ship at last minute to Epic for April 6 because prices were so low. We paid $939pp in October 2010 for Epic B3 cabins and same rooms on Epic are now $559. Sorry Getaway - I'll miss that new ship smell but we'll see you maybe next year.

First time on Epic was right after a trip on the new Oasis and we had a great time (of course, because it's a cruise!) but do recall nit-picking alot about how Epic didn't do this or that as well as Oasis. But time heals all and we're back on the Epic soon...

Come join our roll call for the April 6 sailing!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1888430

Edited by Ron_L

The Epic seems to be very hit or miss. I've heard people who absolutely loved it (my wife and I did) or just couldn't get into it. We're doing our second cruise on the Epic on the 6th as well and are really looking forward to it. We're in BD, so we're hoping the upgrade fairy pays us a visit :P

Saw those prices a few days ago. My only problem is airfare at this late stage from Michigan. Prices are obscene. Driving down too iffy.

We said the same thing! Although I am still tossing around driving down. I think my hubs may have to talk some sense into me. But the week my kids are off from school I can get a balcony for $529 pp.

We jumped on the bargain too. Bringing our kids for their 1st cruise. We weren't even planning on going away for Spring break until I saw how inexpensive a balcony cabin was. We booked 2 balconies for slightly more than 1 with 4 people in it. Unfortunately, because of the outrageous cost of airfare, we are driving from Michigan. Just give us a few cocktails on board & we will forget the long car ride.

The Epic seems to be very hit or miss. I've heard people who absolutely loved it (my wife and I did) or just couldn't get into it. We're doing our second cruise on the Epic on the 6th as well and are really looking forward to it. We're in BD, so we're hoping the upgrade fairy pays us a visit :P

Welcome to our sailing Dr_Booze! Don't forget to post to our Roll Call:M&G, Slot Pull, Pub Crawl, Cabin Crawl are all going on!! :D

So glad to hear another favorable Epic opinion! We too took advantage of the falling prices and DH and I are now in a B5-family balcony with a large (hopefully) balcony. We'll meet you, Dr_Booze and Ron_L at our M&G! Can't wait for our cruise!!

Sounds high to me, especially for the Epic. The worst ship I have ever sailed on.