One piece of advice for new cruiser

ltjdennis

Plan, but don't over plan. Go with the flow.

You may never see your fellow passengers again (or you may make lifelong friends) so do things you wouldn't normally do.

Is there only one best piece of advice?

It's what you make it! Go with the idea of having a great time, and don't let it be wrecked by weather, a wrong food order, or a crew member who doesn't bend over and personally kiss your behind. Try food you've never tried, or do something you've never done. It will be an unforgettable experience.. You will have a fantastic time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have a passport make sure you have the correct birth certificate~ certified from the state ( https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates if you need to order one) and 16 and up need a government issued photo ID card~

And remember not to leave your manners at home~ smile, say thank you, excuse me when the situation calls for it~! Most of all have a blast!! :D

What would be your one most important advice for a new cruiser? Going on Carnival Ecstasy to Key West and Cozumel in April!

Hi! Noticed this is your first post and also your first cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Wonderful World of Cruising! :)

The most important thing is to take all of the documents you are required to have to board the ship. Also, go on line and print your boarding passes and luggage tags.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions. Someone here will be happy to reply. We were all "first time" cruisers once.

Expect to have a fantastic cruise! :D

LuLu

~~~~

What would be your one most important advice for a new cruiser? Going on Carnival Ecstasy to Key West and Cozumel in April!

Don't expect a 5 star experience on 3 star prices. If you do you may find yourself disappointed with your experience. If you don't you may find yourself pleasantly surprised and have an awesome vacation.

Eat at least a few meals in the big dining room -- ya did pay for it in your fare. Read the listings they put in your cabin for the next day and pick something new. Couples can get separated and still have fun -- perhaps more. Eat your veggies.

I guess it was more than ONE idea. Too bad.

Prepare to be hooked. :)

One thing I like to do is check out the ports in Google Earth. You can sometimes see exactly where the ship might dock (because there's one in the picture) and where things like restaurants, tourist areas, shops, etc are located. Can help you decide if you want to take an excursion or if you can just stroll around the area on your own.

First, as other posters have said, do eat in the main dining room and try something new. If you don't like it, they will bring you something else if you ask. If all the appetizers look good, your meal can be all appetizers.

Second: take the stairs as much as possible - it's often faster and you will burn more calories.

Have to add a third: check out the deck plans before you go, there are outdoor bars and indoor bars tucked all over. We found a favorite on each of our two cruises. Hope you come back hooked on cruising like all of us.

you have the perfect itenerary to enjoy my favorite Port Pastime -

"The Watching of the Pier Runners!"

Grab your favorite beverage and head up top to watch all the people who in the words of one Captain "tell time with a calendar, not a watch".

Cheer if they run - boo if they walk - throw things if they saunter. (ok not the last one).

Be sure and bring binoculars for when you pull away - you might get a rare sighting of someone being handed their safe's contents by the cruise agent; OK I don't really hope that happens but it does.

Seriously - be the one watching not being watched - be sure and get back to the ship an hour before she sails.

Edited by alexspepa

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Make sure you check your luggage if you are taking more than a carry on. We learned this the hard way, lugging heavy bags through the Windjammer:eek:

Also, the Windjammer is not the only onboard place to have lunch on embarkation day.

You can eat all 3 meals in the main dining room if you want. We try to have breakfast and lunch at least once in the main dining room. If you don't like something don't hesitate to order something else.

Don't feel like you have to do everything. Take some time to relax too, unless you like to be on the go, then do everything you want. It's your choice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Mist_ynight

Let your credit card company & bank if you use an ATM or debit card that you are leaving the country

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

..........and make sure they won't expire during your vacation.

Bring a small med kit--including Immodium.

You will love cruising and will probably go many times after this first one. Don't feel like you have to do everything nor buy everything such as every picture you have taken, the huge sale at the shops etc. Relax and have a blast and know you will soon be addicted to cruising like the rest of us. : )

Many good suggestions.

I always advise people to get to their embarkation port at least a day early (unless they live very close -- we're an hour's drive from the Port of LA but even then we always leave in the morning by 10am).

As soon as you're thinking about taking a cruise, find out what documentation you need and if a passport, get it ordered (sometimes it might only take a few weeks, but it's worth getting it). Double check you bring it and your driver's license, credit card, etc.

Do check out the cruiseline's website. Lots of good info there, including about your ship. I believe Carnival does have a FAQ on their site. Many people here will refer to names of places on the lines they go on (I notice someone mentioned the Windjammer, but that buffet is on Royal Caribbean ships and not on Carnival).

Don't overplan. Some people feel they need to figure out what they're going to do every second of the vacation. Sometimes just taking it easy is good. You'll get a daily newsletter every night for the next day that will list activities and entertainment so there's no need to think about these ahead of time.

For ports, you can read up on them with guidebooks and by googling each port and look at the ports' and tourism sites. Don't feel you have to go on excursions in each one -- you can even just go to a beach, if that's what you want or tour the port. Just be sure to be back on the ship by the time listed in the ship's newsletter (that's not the "sailaway time" btw). I always take the newsletter and we both check our watches against the ship's time before getting off the ship.

Before you head to the pier, put any valuables, passport/other docs, medications, a bottle of sunscreen in your carry on. Give your suitcase to a porter with a tip when you get to the cruise terminal and eventually that day it'll get to your cabin. It used to be that on Carnival, cabins were available when first boarding, but that may have changed, so you'll have your carry ons to watch over until your cabin is available.