flying to Orlando day of cruise

supercrew1962

Well I wouldn't think that weather would be an issue then.

If the plane lands at 10:15... you will probably be off the plane with bags collected by 11:15. It's a nonstop, so they shouldn't lose your luggage anywhere. Driving time from Orlando to Port Canaveral is an hour, so assuming you run into no traffic, you'd be at the port around 12:15.

Do you know when the boarding cut-off is?

It looks doable.

Airport to cruise terminal is at worst 35 minutes..., unless you hit traffic on the BeachLine (BeeLine to us old O-town folks)... It is a straight run.

Are you going to use the Carnival transportation or something on your own?

You should be good on the time. For my (many) times in the Orlando airport, the luggage comes out quickly. So, an hour from touchdown to getting your bags is a long-time.

Since I have family in the area, I tend to come down early for two reasons. One to visit. Second to make sure I am down there for the cruise. You never know when a travel incident may occur and having an extra day built in makes me feel better... Would rather be an hour from the cruise port than 2+ hours by plane. My 2 cents :)

Steve

Our first cruise we had a direct flight Flint, MI to Tampa due to land at 10:45am in June. We were diverted to Orlando as Tampa airport was closed down due to severe storms we had to sit and wait until Tampa opened back up, we only made the ship as the last Carnival shuttle leaving Tampa was nice enough to let us jump on. The bus pulled into the port and they closed the gates behind us, it was such a stressful day for the sake of a cheap hotel room we always fly in the day before now.

No matter what time of your you are flying you cannot predict the weather.

Weather is only one small thing in a long list of things that can delay or cancel your flight. As an Airline Pilot, I would NEVER, EVER fly on the day of the cruise. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You'll be fine. Flights are rarely delayed, checked luggage is seldom lost and usually makes it on the same plane as you are on, and ground transportation is usually efficient and on time.

What's the worst that happens? You miss the ship and go to Disney World instead. Still a great vacation.

Weather is only one small thing in a long list of things that can delay or cancel your flight. As an Airline Pilot, I would NEVER, EVER fly on the day of the cruise. Period.

I second this! After 25 years working in the airline industry, I have learned that just about anything can happen to delay a flight even when you least expect it.

Nothing in the world would convince me to try this.

Airport to cruise terminal is at worst 35 minutes..., unless you hit traffic on the BeachLine (BeeLine to us old O-town folks)... It is a straight run.

Are you going to use the Carnival transportation or something on your own?

You should be good on the time. For my (many) times in the Orlando airport, the luggage comes out quickly. So, an hour from touchdown to getting your bags is a long-time.

Since I have family in the area, I tend to come down early for two reasons. One to visit. Second to make sure I am down there for the cruise. You never know when a travel incident may occur and having an extra day built in makes me feel better... Would rather be an hour from the cruise port than 2+ hours by plane. My 2 cents :)

Steve

35 minutes?? How fast do you drive:eek:

Any time you fly in the day of a cruise, there is always a risk of missing the ship, however small. As long as there are no long delays, you should be fine with that flight.

Prior to moving to Florida, I always flew in the day of. I have had some close calls. I once had a flight cancel due to mechanical issues. The airline tried to rebook us on a later flight which would have caused me to miss my cruise. Once I explained I had a cruise to catch, they did find me another flight on a different airline. I have also had delays. In the end, I have always made it.

You just have to decide how much of a risk you are willing to take.

You'll be fine. Flights are rarely delayed, checked luggage is seldom lost and usually makes it on the same plane as you are on, and ground transportation is usually efficient and on time.

What's the worst that happens? You miss the ship and go to Disney World instead. Still a great vacation.

Need I say more. You plan for months, pay off the cruise, count down the days, then take a chance on the above. Not me.

35 minutes?? How fast do you drive:eek:

I was about to say the same thing. I've been that route many times and it most certainly takes longer than 35 minutes to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando unless you're speeding the entire time.

Fly in at least the day before if at all possible OP. Weather is not the only thing that can delay your flight. A few years ago security checks delayed our flight and we landed 40 minutes off schedule.

Something to consider. Weather should not be a problem in May, but here is what we just experienced. We had the early ( 6:35 am ) flight in the morning to Fort Lauderdale on recent Saturday. Our cruise was on Sunday { Allure ). Due to some mechanical error, we did not leave till 1:30 pm. There were about eight people who were scheduled on different cruises for Saturday. They obviously missed the cruise as we did not land till 4:15. I won't EVER fly the day of. Felt terrible for the people.

Please tell me this was meant to be a funny, joke post. :o

Edited by Tapi

Something to consider. Weather should not be a problem in May, but here is what we just experienced. We had the early ( 6:35 am ) flight in the morning to Fort Lauderdale on recent Saturday. Our cruise was on Sunday { Allure ). Due to some mechanical error, we did not leave till 1:30 pm. There were about eight people who were scheduled on different cruises for Saturday. They obviously missed the cruise as we did not land till 4:15. I won't EVER fly the day of. Felt terrible for the people.

Weather can be a problem, even in May. Thunder storms have delayed and cancelled many flights during the spring and summer months. Brother and sister in law spent the night in Miami International because of a thunder storm. They had a flight out the day before us from the same airport and we got home before they did. Our flight wasn't cancelled and they had to wait for openings on other flights.

It really comes down to peace-of-mind. If you are ok with flying day-of-cruise, then stay with that. If not, book a room near the cruise-port for the day before and fly in one day early and sightsee.

Worst case, if you see a storm coming a few days before, rebook the plane tix if possible. Had to do that once and was glad I did. We made it out one day prior to a major snow/ice storm coming in. Was possible we "could" have gotten out... but for a few dollars more, wife/I got out one day early and was thankful we did. My wife will tell you I would have been a "nut-case" in the airport with the huge delays.