Make-Up for Formal Night

NewCruiserMPC

I'll be on the Caribbean Princess in March. I know I can get my nails done on the ship, but do they have any make-up artist? I'm not good with that stuff and would like to get my makeup done if its a service offered. I haven't seen any info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughter and I both got haircuts in the spa on the Ruby Princess. It was the worst haircut I've ever had in my life. My daughter cried on and off for days. As soon as we got off the ship we made a beeline to a Sportsclips for me and a Wal-Mart for my daughter. You know it's bad if my daughter is getting her hair cut at Wal-Mart. She cried some more.

Moral. Put your own makeup on and do not allow these buffoons near your body.

Thanks everyone! Think I'll try buying my own stuff and maybe then just going to the Spa Ladies and ask if they offer the service. If not, then I'll attempt to just do the basics which I'm ok with (blush, lipstick and mascara). I wont even try to do eye shadow. The whole "blending thing" with the brushes is not my thing. LOL

You don't need to do a lot of complicated blending with brushes for eyeshadow.

Smooth a light colour under your brow, and a medium colour over the socket. If you're feeling really brave smudge a little dark colour along the roots of your eyelashes. Now get a cotton bud (q-tip in the US?) and gently blend the edges and areas where the colours join, just to soften them. It only takes a couple of seconds. It really is easy. :)

I rarely wear makeup in the daytime, and only wear it in the evenings when dressing up - smart casual through formal.

My daughter and I both got haircuts in the spa on the Ruby Princess. It was the worst haircut I've ever had in my life. My daughter cried on and off for days. As soon as we got off the ship we made a beeline to a Sportsclips for me and a Wal-Mart for my daughter. You know it's bad if my daughter is getting her hair cut at Wal-Mart. She cried some more.

Moral. Put your own makeup on and do not allow these buffoons near your body.

Too bad...The stylists go through rigorous testing. I just got the best haircut on the Royal last week. I've gotten two others in the past on other ships. I just may have to book another cruise when I'm due for a touch up.

Too bad...The stylists go through rigorous testing. I just got the best haircut on the Royal last week. I've gotten two others in the past on other ships. I just may have to book another cruise when I'm due for a touch up.

I am sure it wasn't the hair dresser. Sometimes, especially with women if you change their style or if they have great expectations and the cut doesn't met those expectations, the hairdresser is a butcher. My wife took my 79 yr old mother to her hairdresser. That was the first mistake. My mother told the hairdresser that she wanted something easy to manage on her own. That translated to a short hair style. In my opinion it was short but very stylish. It was a lot better than the Betty White hair style she went in with. However, my mother had been looking in the mirror at the same hairstyle for years so it was a bit of a shock for her. Two years later and she is still going on about it. Every time she brings up the story I tell her that next time I'll take her to my barber. His name is Sweeney Todd. My poor wife, she was only trying to do a nice thing.

. Choose the gal that is wearing lots of make-up on her face because she will know how to apply your make-up just right. She will not put it on you extra heavy.

I totally disagree with this statement. The person wearing lots of makeup will definitely put lots of makeup on another person…it's what they know. I think most makeup artists overdo the work anyway, take a look at brides who have their makeup done for the day, you can practically peel it off of them.

Only you will know what feels comfortable on your own face. If you don't ever wear foundation, I'd skip that step altogether. No eye shadow, no problem. You could wear just a bit of lipstick, maybe blush and mascara, still look like you, only a little more dressed up.

One thing I will say about makeup is that the quality of the brushes makes a huge difference. Cheap brushes are harder to use and don't get the same effect. I've invested in really good brushes, I take good care of them and they last for years, with the plus of making the application quicker.

When I was in high school the boys would sing here comes the clowns when they would see girls with lots of make-up on.

I used to wear really red lipstick and I felt I looked like Minny Mouse. My mom never taught me how to do my make-up. I had to learn on my own and I also learned to cut my own hair at the age of 13yrs.old because

every time I went to a hair dresser they would give me a lousy perm or cut my hair really bad news.

Even today I still have to cut my own hair because the last time the gal

cut my hair too short and it was a terrible cut and perm.

Now my hair looks beautiful like BETTY WHITE. I am an old senior now.

I prefer the old style of the 1950's. I even watch movies on how Bettty Davis used to comb and style her hair for the movies. lol. LucyR.

We met some nice folks onboard and later on the wife went for a makeover or something. Sounds like what you had done. When we saw her next we thought she had maybe been to clown school - she had a TON of makeup on. It really wasn't flattering. The woman looked fine before hand but afterward it was hard not to stare because she looked soooooooooo "unusual".

Yup she made my face look oddly angular and not in a good way. Took me forever to get it off and it was my makeup. She wanted to sell me some bronzer stuff and put it on one arm to show me it I said no thanks, she moved on.....I finally asked umm are you going to remove it or at least do the other arm? she did the other one. lol. between the makeup and the hairspray (which I havent worn in years) took me forever to scrub myself clean. Told DH bet I could be drug by the ship through the water and still have it on...lol:eek:

I second the suggestion to go to a Sephora. They have both freestanding stores and some inside JCPenney stores. I recommend them because they'll have many brands to choose from unlike dept store counters, which each sell only one brand. Find a girl whose makeup you find appealing and ask her for a lesson. You can purchase some, all, or none of the products she uses. I would suggest purchasing at least the foundation as it will be a good match for your skin. I also HIGHLY recommend Benefit brand's "They're Real" mascara. Expensive, but an amazing result. Sephora is great about giving samples, so you may be able to get a couple of those that will be enough for a couple of uses. For other products you don't think you'll use often, find similar shades at drugstores to save some money, as buying everything from Sephora will add up quickly! Just yesterday I ordered foundation, powder, lip gloss, mascara, and a face scrub. The total was around $160 US. Could have gotten similar products at a drug store for around $60, but I happen to like the better products and use most of them daily. If you are only going to do makeup occasionally, there's no reason to have that kind of money tied up in it. You can get decent brushes at Target, the drugstores or even walmart. Just pay close attention to the sizes used during the lesson.

Good luck and have fun with it - you may even find you enjoy playing around with the stuff! Let us know what you end up deciding to do!

Here's another idea. Go by the Photography desk and ask one of the female photographers for a referral to a good Spa person for makeup.

I guarantee you the photographers look closely at more faces thru the cruise than anyone. They'll likely know who "gets it right" with cosmetics... If you're lucky one of the photogs will adopt you and do your makeup on formal night (would have to be early as they have a lot of setup for all those formal photo ops)!

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Thanks everyone! Think I'll try buying my own stuff and maybe then just going to the Spa Ladies and ask if they offer the service. If not, then I'll attempt to just do the basics which I'm ok with (blush, lipstick and mascara). I wont even try to do eye shadow. The whole "blending thing" with the brushes is not my thing. LOL
You could watch a few youtube videos on applying eyeshadow or whatever else is difficult. Maybe you'll find some tips to make it worth trying.

I'll be on the Caribbean Princess in March. I know I can get my nails done on the ship, but do they have any make-up artist? I'm not good with that stuff and would like to get my makeup done if its a service offered. I haven't seen any info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I plan on having my make up done on my upcoming cruise as well. I am sorry some folks have trouble focusing on the question.

Answer: of course the spa can apply your make up for you. Your hair too if you like. Just use your voice. If you see him/her going a little overboard say something right away. You are the customer after all.

I wear everyday make up but I don't really get the blending thing either. Nor have I mastered the smoky eye. I want to dazzle my husband not just the usual in a fancy dress. This is part of cruising fun for me. A tux and a gown...a great meal...some wine...some dancing....Heaven!

I do agree with doing a Nordstrom or Sephora run prior to the trip for some quality product.

Enjoy your trip. It will be here before you know it...how exciting!

I don't know if this is how they still do it but years ago I went to the Clinique counter at Nordstroms and they did half my face and then had me do the other side myself so that I could learn how to do it. It worked for me.

OP, you could also go to a CVS drugstore and ask to speak with the head of the cosmetics department. There are some eye cosmetic compacts and brushes that show you what to put where on your eyes. I've done this before also. Whatever way you decide to go, I hope you have an awesome cruise.:D

Also, I don't poster SKNight was trying to turn this into a "dress code thread". I think she was trying to let the OP know that on most ships these days, the dress code on formal nights is much more casual than it used to be and that the OP didn't have to stress out over not knowing how to apply fancy makeup. I think she had good intenions and some people here just misintrepreted her. JMHO;) Edited by mousey