Make-Up for Formal Night

NewCruiserMPC

I'll be on the Caribbean Princess in March. I know I can get my nails done on the ship, but do they have any make-up artist? I'm not good with that stuff and would like to get my makeup done if its a service offered. I haven't seen any info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be on the Caribbean Princess in March. I know I can get my nails done on the ship, but do they have any make-up artist? I'm not good with that stuff and would like to get my makeup done if its a service offered. I haven't seen any info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not the answer you are looking for, but you will find formal night is not so formal. Most men wear a suit or sport jacket with tie, some without a tie. Not so many in black tie. Women wear dresses or dress up slacks. Not so many in gowns. This dress is for the DR's only. Many skip the DR on formal night and dine in one of the Crown Grill, Sabatini's or the buffet to avoid the dress up. Some passengers change after they dine back to causal clothes.

If you have a makeup counter near you, a department store or even a drug store, your $$ would be better spent on a makeup lesson and purchase of cosmetics prior to leaving for your vacation.

It's not all that difficult and the person teaching you can show you simple tricks that allow you to have just a bit of makeup, not a whole face full. A more natural look would be better than a fully painted face, especially since no one would recognize you with a fully made up face.

Good luck and have fun with it :)

I would ask at the beauty salon and spa when you board. There will be ladies from those areas around the ship pushing their services on the day you board. Someone might agree to do it for you.

I agree, that personally I'd see it as a waste of time and money. Why not just "practice" doing whatever you want at home. Go to a Merle Norman or dept store where a salesperson can give you hints for applying their products. :o

But if you are looking for some kind of special experience, work on it as soon as you board.

You ask a simple question.....

To bad some have to turn this into a dress code thread. :(

Have to agree. To the OP, there will be some people dressed up as well. My husband always takes his tux and I wear at least a cocktail dress. Maybe we are showing our age. Do what will make you feel good about yourself and will allow you to enjoy the evening.

Not the answer you are looking for, but you will find formal night is not so formal. Most men wear a suit or sport jacket with tie, some without a tie. Not so many in black tie. Women wear dresses or dress up slacks. Not so many in gowns. This dress is for the DR's only. Many skip the DR on formal night and dine in one of the Crown Grill, Sabatini's or the buffet to avoid the dress up. Some passengers change after they dine back to causal clothes.

It's not even an answer to the question. Are you implying that the OP doesn't need make up if she doesn't eat in the MDR on formal night. I think she just wants to look special for the special night. My mom is the same way. The only thing she wears on a regular basis is lipstick. Like the OP she is not good with applying make up so when there was a special occasion she would go to the department stores and have the cosmetics person apply it for her and she would just buy some lip stick and hand and body cream. Sometimes she would come back all made up and would wonder what corner she was working that night.

The best thing to do is go to a cosmetic dept. and buy the right color of make-up for your skin color and type of skin, buy some eye make-up, face powder, blush, eye brow pencil, etc. You can buy all of these items at

any dept. store. A sales gal will help you choose what you need.

You make an appointment with one of the ship Spa gals to apply your make-up. Choose the gal that is wearing lots of make-up on her face because she will know how to apply your make-up just right. She will not put it on you extra heavy. She will follow your orders on how much you want on your face.

Now.... here is the reason for taking your own cosmetics. It is not sanitary to use other peoples cosmetics, especially lipstick because it can have a virus on it. Mascara will also have germs that will cause your eyes

to turn red from germs.-

I think you will look amazing and beautiful if you wear make-up.

I always wear really nice make-up to have my professional photo taken on the ships. I have learned how to put make-up for having my photo taken on the ship.

Handy hint for you other ladies who do know how to put on your make-up. Put lots of blush on the edges of your face because it will make your face look really healthy and nice. I learned this from the photos that have been embellished to look better. The blush looks normal on my face.

Thanks everyone! Think I'll try buying my own stuff and maybe then just going to the Spa Ladies and ask if they offer the service. If not, then I'll attempt to just do the basics which I'm ok with (blush, lipstick and mascara). I wont even try to do eye shadow. The whole "blending thing" with the brushes is not my thing. LOL

Have to agree. To the OP, there will be some people dressed up as well. My husband always takes his tux and I wear at least a cocktail dress. Maybe we are showing our age. Do what will make you feel good about yourself and will allow you to enjoy the evening.

I completely agree with your post. My husband wears his tux, and most were dressed up last week on the Royal. To the OP, please do what ever makes you feel beautiful on formal nights.

You make an appointment with one of the ship Spa gals to apply your make-up. Choose the gal that is wearing lots of make-up on her face because she will know how to apply your make-up just right. .

:D LOL Just strikes me funny.

When I was on in 2007 the spa offered this. I had my hair and makeup done for formal night. Was roughly $85 if I am remembering correctly. Word of caution though...I wasn't paying much attention to what she was doing and ended up with way too much makeup on. I looked like I belonged on stage with the princess dancers. I don't wear a lot of makeup or hairspray which both were used a lot. I just sat down and told her what I was wearing and to do what she thought looked nice.........then I vegged out........should have paid attention the the amount she put on...although I am surprised she didn't ask is this too little would you like more or just enough...but I just sat back and enjoyed being pampered.. lol:D As soon as I got on board I jetted up to the salon to book the appointment because they said they had to see me, my hair etc to give a cost for the service. Hope this helps.

Oops! You're on the Caribbean, in March. Sorry, unless, you change to the Crown, in April I can't help, hands on.

My suggestion: Go to a good makeup counter like you'll find in Nordstrom's or Macy's, even JC Penney has a good makeup counter and sells Sephora products; have one of the makeup gals help you make the right selections for you and your coloring; bring it all with you and go to the spa or hair salon onboard, ask if they have someone who can help with your makeup. I bet the folks in the salon can help you or, at least, direct you.

Good luck. Have a wonderful and beautiful cruise. ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

When I was on in 2007 the spa offered this. I had my hair and makeup done for formal night. Was roughly $85 if I am remembering correctly. Word of caution though...I wasn't paying much attention to what she was doing and ended up with way too much makeup on. I looked like I belonged on stage with the princess dancers. I don't wear a lot of makeup or hairspray which both were used a lot. I just sat down and told her what I was wearing and to do what she thought looked nice.........then I vegged out........should have paid attention the the amount she put on...although I am surprised she didn't ask is this too little would you like more or just enough...but I just sat back and enjoyed being pampered.. lol:D As soon as I got on board I jetted up to the salon to book the appointment because they said they had to see me, my hair etc to give a cost for the service. Hope this helps.

We met some nice folks onboard and later on the wife went for a makeover or something. Sounds like what you had done. When we saw her next we thought she had maybe been to clown school - she had a TON of makeup on. It really wasn't flattering. The woman looked fine before hand but afterward it was hard not to stare because she looked soooooooooo "unusual".

Thanks everyone! Think I'll try buying my own stuff and maybe then just going to the Spa Ladies and ask if they offer the service. If not, then I'll attempt to just do the basics which I'm ok with (blush, lipstick and mascara). I wont even try to do eye shadow. The whole "blending thing" with the brushes is not my thing. LOL

Just a tip--I find blending eye shadow with a sponge applicator much easier than using a brush. You might want to try that at home before the cruise.

I love doing makeup.......what ship are you on? I'll do it for the fun of it! I promise when we're done you'll be spectacularly beautiful!!!!

Your so sweet! Thank you. Too bad we are on different ships. hehe. Hmm... maybe I can ask my roll call! :D

Thanks everyone! You have all been helpful with your suggestions!