Shoes for Alaska tours

rjeffler

I know this has been asked time and time again but I need clarification. We are going to Alaska this June and didn't plan on purchasing waterproof shoes for the weather. We are, however, doing 3 tours that I'm not sure if I need waterproof shoes for. We are doing a full day Halibut fishing charter in Seward, Whale watching with FISHES at Hoonah and a helicopter to dog sled on glacier at Juneau. Would sneakers still work on all of these?

Any time you're on a small boat, assume you'll get your feet wet. I always pop an extra pair of light footwear & socks into my backpack just in case.

That said, sneakers will do just fine for your whale watch and fishing trip - as long as the soles are still in good shape, give them a spray of a waterproofing solution and they should handle the occasional splash just fine.

I believe the dogsledding folks have 'over boots' (and waterproof top layers if needed) appropriate for the conditions available for everyone taking the tour.

If purchased directly from the vendor, email to them will give you the official answer as to any footwear and outerwear they will provide. We have rain gear we are taking in Aug which will act as wind break also. Hiking shoes will get another coat of waterproofing before we go.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight, waterproof, non slip athletic shoe? I stress lightweight. We will be climbing out of a float plane, be on a whale watch, jet boat up Stikine river and just plain walking all over.

As someone who lives in Alaska, and has a husband who worked in SE Alaska before we were married, I always have waterproof shoes with me when I am in SE Alaska. While much of your footwear needs will be determined by how active you will be, it can also really rain in SE. You are in a Pacific northwest rain forest.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight, waterproof, non slip athletic shoe? I stress lightweight. We will be climbing out of a float plane, be on a whale watch, jet boat up Stikine river and just plain walking all over.

I wear Merrell waterproof hiking shoes almost everywhere even to formal nights (jacket and tie of course). For hiking, I wear high-top hiking boots (OBOZ). When I go to the Caribbean, I exchange the OBOZ for a pair of sandals. Both are waterproof and have great insoles.

My Merrells have been on many whale-watching excursions, float planes, trains, catamarans, and sailing ships in Mexico.

I wear Merrell waterproof hiking shoes almost everywhere even to formal nights (jacket and tie of course). For hiking, I wear high-top hiking boots (OBOZ). When I go to the Caribbean, I exchange the OBOZ for a pair of sandals. Both are waterproof and have great insoles.

My Merrells have been on many whale-watching excursions, float planes, trains, catamarans, and sailing ships in Mexico.

Mind if I ask which Merrell shoe you wear to formal nights? I would love to only take one pair of shoes for hiking and dining on my upcoming Alaskan cruise.

Thanks!

I know this has been asked time and time again but I need clarification. We are going to Alaska this June and didn't plan on purchasing waterproof shoes for the weather. We are, however, doing 3 tours that I'm not sure if I need waterproof shoes for. We are doing a full day Halibut fishing charter in Seward, Whale watching with FISHES at Hoonah and a helicopter to dog sled on glacier at Juneau. Would sneakers still work on all of these?

They will work if sprayed several times with waterproofing. However I would be surprised if your maritime operators did not provide footwear.

Mind if I ask which Merrell shoe you wear to formal nights? I would love to only take one pair of shoes for hiking and dining on my upcoming Alaskan cruise.

Thanks!

I wear beige, Merrell, Moab waterproof, low-cut hiking shoes to formal night. When I used to bring a tuxedo, I brought patent leather formal shoes. I now wear a sport jacket and tie to formal nights. Nobody has ever questioned my shoes but if they would, I will reply that I have foot issues.

It is my experience that less than 10% of the passengers on Alaskan cruises wear tuxedos on formal nights. That means that 90% of your fellow passengers will be dressed in jackets and ties just like you.

On a side note, one Alaskan passenger wore authentic Ben Franklin attire with silk coat, puffed shirt, white stockings, and buckle shoes for both formal nights. Also, one Alaska cruise had a contingent of hog farmers from Southern Michigan with one male passenger wearing bib overalls, sport jacket and tie, and tall leather boots to formal night.

My suggestion is to pack for three days of layered clothing, spend the $7/day for laundry, and bring a single large suitcase (plus a roll-on for meds, cameras, computers, jewelry, etc.). If you need an additional bag for souvenirs, HAL sells an expandable bag for $29 in the Shops.

Edited by Crew News