3*, 4* or 5* Mariner - experiences with the new PG menu and the upcharge items

kazu

KK - Do you happen to know what they do if you've booked Le Cirque online prior to your cruise? The online system doesn't give the mariner discount.

We only had problems a couple of times getting our discount once on the ship for pre-booked Pinnacle, Le Cirque and Tamarind. More so when HAL started the new Star program with the various discounts.

It is too bad that HAL won't give us our discounts when we book on line.

We are also 5 star Mariners and so far we have not had problems getting our entire refund when we pre-booked for our 2 free Pinnacle dinners.

The menu that I saw showed the price of Caviar being $45 and the Crab Legs being $20.

Boy, they are both a rip off. I can buy King Crab Legs here in Vancouver (frozen) for $20 Canadian a pound. You sure would not get a pound for dinner. I don't buy caviar but imagine I could for $45 a jar which would probably amount to 4 servings on HAL. They can keep their high price stuff. I'll eat crab ashore when I sail to Alaska.

Edited by solocanadian

We did have to pay $20 for my crab legs and there was NO discount applied to them. This was when we were on the NA Jan 26/2014.

Ahh, thanks. I think it was your post I remembered reading. :)

Sorry I didn't fully remember. :o

We did have to pay $20 for my crab legs and there was NO discount applied to them. This was when we were on the NA Jan 26/2014.

Thanks very much - how were they? Better than the ones in the MDR or the same?

Jacqui, as we all know food is very subjective. :rolleyes: I enjoyed them. Are they worth the extra charge...I have to agree with solocanadian. Are they better than the one in the MDR? I'd have to say the same. They were all plunked on a plate also with the butter a piece of parsley and a quarter lemon. It still took some work to get all the meat out of their halved shells. To be fair I don't know what I was expecting....Would I order them again, probably not. Than again I was not impressed with the PG. We both much preferred the older menu. We will give this menu another try on our upcoming Panama Cruise and hope that it will change our minds..Everyone in life has to allow for a one off.JMO

Boy, they are both a rip off. I can buy King Crab Legs here in Vancouver (frozen) for $20 Canadian a pound. You sure would not get a pound for dinner. I don't buy caviar but imagine I could for $45 a jar which would probably amount to 4 servings on HAL. They can keep their high price stuff. I'll eat crab ashore when I sail to Alaska.

My DH ordered the crab. I'm pretty sure he had a pound of crab legs on his plate! They were reportedly absolutely delicious! Well worth the $20. I couldn't convince him to order the caviar, though he does love that stuff too!

Jacqui, as we all know food is very subjective. :rolleyes: I enjoyed them. Are they worth the extra charge...I have to agree with solocanadian. Are they better than the one in the MDR? I'd have to say the same. They were all plunked on a plate also with the butter a piece of parsley and a quarter lemon. It still took some work to get all the meat out of their halved shells. To be fair I don't know what I was expecting....Would I order them again, probably not. Than again I was not impressed with the PG. We both much preferred the older menu. We will give this menu another try on our upcoming Panama Cruise and hope that it will change our minds..Everyone in life has to allow for a one off.JMO

My DH ordered the crab. I'm pretty sure he had a pound of crab legs on his plate! They were reportedly absolutely delicious! Well worth the $20. I couldn't convince him to order the caviar, though he does love that stuff too!

Thanks very much both of you:D

I am going to try the caviar. I was going to wait until the Prinsendam cruise but unless DH says no I think I will try it on the Maasdam and then I can compare on the Prinsendam :) We have 3 PG's so I suspect another night (or maybe even the same night) I will ask about the crab legs and possibly try them. It will depend upon what's on the menu, what appeals and the mood ;) Appreciate you both taking the time to share;)

the PG on the Maasdam is a nice venue (unless things have changed).

We can get Alaskan King Crab legs here for much cheaper as well.

I certainly won't pay HAL's prices -- especially if the Crab legs are the tiny ones like served in the dining room.

Were they the tiny ones like served in the dining room.

No. They were absolutely beautiful. King crab legs. I was really jealous of my DH. I just recently developed a shellfish allergy, and so could not partake. But I was definitely drooling!

My only true disappointment in the pinnacle was the Caesar Salad. There was a dollop of dressing in the bottom of the parmesan bowl, and the bowl was soggy-ish, not nicely crisped. The bowl tasted good, but the texture was "wrong". I heard many other negative comments about this salad from tables near us too.

also my volcano cake was not warm, but that could be because we had an 8:30 dining reservation, and we are leisurely diners... Truly a first world problem ;)