Golden Questions

jewel825

I have a few questions regarding the Golden Princess. I'm hoping to stay in shape during my next cruise and was wondering about the work out facilities.

Is there a running track on the ship?

Are there separate hot tubs or saunas in the gym?

Are there shower facilities to use or do you have to go back to your cabin for that?

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a few questions regarding the Golden Princess. I'm hoping to stay in shape during my next cruise and was wondering about the work out facilities.

Is there a running track on the ship?

Are there separate hot tubs or saunas in the gym?

Are there shower facilities to use or do you have to go back to your cabin for that?

No running track, i usually run on board and you can run the upper decks pretty much any time during the day, and the promenade early morning.

there are 2 hottubs outside, adjacent to the gym. there are M and F hot and dry saunas a few steps away.

there are shower facilities adjacent to the spa area and gym

to clarify, when running on the upper decks, i usually run on deck 15 all the way in front of the spa, then all the way back to the stairs up to the shuffleboard area and around the aft bar on 16 then back forward. some joggers may find the windscreens annoying but i think they provide a little more of a workout since you can work in some side to side movements.

Is there a running track on the ship? No, you can try to run on the Promenade deck, but it is very difficult unless you go very early in the morning. There are too many walkers. There are treadmills.

Are there separate hot tubs or saunas in the gym? No, Steam and Saunas are located just outside the fitness center next to the Lap Pool. Hot tubs are also there as well as at Neptune's Reef Pool, Calypso Reef Indoor Pool and on deck 16 aft the Oasis area.

Are there shower facilities to use or do you have to go back to your cabin for that? Don't know, but for me I would go back to the cabin, it's just easier.

See above

FYI, try the free hour long Zumba sessions each day.

When using the Promenade deck (we walked it sometimes -- I just can't get into jogging), you have to go up a deck and then down at a couple of spots. If it's really windy, the bow may be closed off for safety reasons (even when it's not closed, it can be very windy).

There's also the gym (treadmills, stationery bikes, weights) and zumba classes without any charge. (there are some fitness classes that do have a charge such as spinning)

to clarify, when running on the upper decks, i usually run on deck 15 all the way in front of the spa, then all the way back to the stairs up to the shuffleboard area and around the aft bar on 16 then back forward. some joggers may find the windscreens annoying but i think they provide a little more of a workout since you can work in some side to side movements.

Thanks runner! With your screen name, I can only guess that you would be one who likes to work out. :)

I like the idea of your obstacle course to change the pace a little bit and see new things. I hope I don't get blown over in the wind though on those upper decks!

See above

FYI, try the free hour long Zumba sessions each day.

Thanks sknight. I'm not a big fan of treadmills (I don't mind other work out machines) but for some reason I can't seem to get a running rhythm on them and have fallen off in the past. No issues walking but sheesh, I'm clumsy running on them! I'll see how it works out on the top decks for running in the wind.

I plan on showering back in the room but hubby usually gets sent to the gym to shower and get ready each day because my 2 daughters and I never share that teeny tiny shower bathroom with him! Yes, we travel with the 4 of us in one room so he usually gets kicked to the curb when it comes to bathroom time.

When using the Promenade deck (we walked it sometimes -- I just can't get into jogging)' date=' you have to go up a deck and then down at a couple of spots. If it's really windy, the bow may be closed off for safety reasons (even when it's not closed, it can be very windy).

There's also the gym (treadmills, stationery bikes, weights) and zumba classes without any charge. (there are some fitness classes that do have a charge such as spinning)[/quote']

Thanks Cruisin Chick. I've always wanted to try Zumba. Maybe I'll give that one a try on this cruise. I can drag hubby with me for a good laugh!

I'll probably end up walking on the Promenade deck instead of jogging if it's too crowded with people. I doubt that I'll be up that early to go jogging before the masses come out for the day. I love to sleep in!

I agree, use the Promenade deck early. ;)

I guess I'll have to skip a couple of lazy sleep in mornings and start my day early before it gets too crowded. Or maybe I can find some steps to run up and down. I did that on the Allure last year and it was quite a hike up 17 flights of stairs. You could feel the burn!

I guess I'll have to skip a couple of lazy sleep in mornings and start my day early before it gets too crowded. Or maybe I can find some steps to run up and down. I did that on the Allure last year and it was quite a hike up 17 flights of stairs. You could feel the burn!

Nice views and the possibility of seeing some marine life too!

Thanks Cruisin Chick. I've always wanted to try Zumba. Maybe I'll give that one a try on this cruise. I can drag hubby with me for a good laugh! QUOTE]

My wife asked me to go the Zumba class starting on the 2nd day on the Golden last month. It was hard but a lot of fun. I think I sweated more on those classes than I did climbing the steps around Machu Picchu Peru. Go a little early as a lot of Zumba participants were moving chairs/tables to make room in the Vista lounge since the stage filled up fast.

I'm pretty sure I lost 5 lbs from Zumba alone and my cholesterol and glucose levels dropped to "good" levels after these classes.

Thanks Cruisin Chick. I've always wanted to try Zumba. Maybe I'll give that one a try on this cruise. I can drag hubby with me for a good laugh! QUOTE]

My wife asked me to go the Zumba class starting on the 2nd day on the Golden last month. It was hard but a lot of fun. I think I sweated more on those classes than I did climbing the steps around Machu Picchu Peru. Go a little early as a lot of Zumba participants were moving chairs/tables to make room in the Vista lounge since the stage filled up fast.

I'm pretty sure I lost 5 lbs from Zumba alone and my cholesterol and glucose levels dropped to "good" levels after these classes.

How funny! I'm going to have to try that class! I'm sure you were able to eat guilt free the rest of the cruise!

On my last cruise (Golden Dec 2012/Jan 2013)' date=' there was a Zumba Gold class for us klutzes (it followed one of the hula classes so I stuck around to try that out).[/quote']

A hula class would be so fun! If I ever go on a Hawaiian cruise, I'm trying that out! We are actually thinking of just doing a land vacation to Hawaii one of these days. However, a cruise always seems to win and we end up cruising instead. It's hard to give up the cruise!