Sun Tips needed plus balcony room ??

Ellura

My family is headed out in Jan on the Sun. I am new to NCL (only Carnival and Princess) . This will be my hubby's first cruise. Any tips, suggestions, overlooked things.

I also need advice for the best BC or BD cabin. I looked at 0201 but read that it didnt have a sliding glass door. We like a decent size balcony and quiet. Thanks a ton!!!!!!!

Edited by Ellura

My family is headed out in Jan on the Sun. I am new to NCL (only Carnival and Princess) . This will be my hubby's first cruise. Any tips, suggestions, overlooked things.

I also need advice for the best BC or BD cabin. I looked at 0201 but read that it didnt have a sliding glass door. We like a decent size balcony and quiet. Thanks a ton!!!!!!!

I believe the Sun's balcony rooms have a large glass door that swings, not slides. I thought they were great and seemed much more solid than a rattling sliding door. The Sun has a free spa area, small, but many people don't know it exists.

I believe the Sun's balcony rooms have a large glass door that swings, not slides. I thought they were great and seemed much more solid than a rattling sliding door. The Sun has a free spa area, small, but many people don't know it exists.

oh tell me more about this small free spa.... what's in there?

We just got off the Sun last week and we had an aft facing balcony on deck 8. We had a sliding glass door. We sailed on the Sun in 2005 and also had a sliding glass door.

If they are available the two BD or BC (sorry but I can't remember which category) balcony rooms on the pool deck, deck 11 are IMHO the BEST standard balconies in the fleet. They connect to the Owners Suite in case anyone booking the suite needs a second bedroom so the furniture and finishes are like the suite. They are sized like penthouses on other NCL ships and have a HUGE balcony. The only thing "standard" about them is the bathroom, it is just like all the other balcony staterooms. The stateroom has a full size sleeper sofa and two occasional chairs in the living area. The Cabins are on the bow and forward facing which is a plus for me but some complain that it is too windy while underway.

In my experience, all of Sun's balcony doors re sliders.

My secret about Sun isn't that big a secret, the Great Outdoors and it's grill/serving are is my favorite place for lunch or breakfast and is usually underutilized the first few days of the trip.

Thank you for confirming my belief.

Must have something to do with the movement of the ship - - -

Sliders would open and close with the forward-aft movement of the ship if not latched.

The sideways (Port-Starboard) movement is not usually a factor thus the sliders would work here.

Sliding doors have less maintenance requirements and the swinging doors may have pneumatic

cylinders or dampening device to regulate the closing of the door so it does not slam shut (ouch) !

The forward and aft facing cabins all have sliders. The rest are swingers :D

Oops, sorry for misleading anyone, I hadn't realized that when we have sailed in a balcony on Sun, they've always been on the bow or stern. Our other sailings on her have been insides and one upgrade fairy provided ocean view.