Stratford Upon Avon day trip; soccer dreams

hsaroya

DH, I, and our two mid-to-late teens will have 5 days post cruise in London this Aug., giving us some opportunities for day trips. Would a full day in Stratford, by train, be viable? I'd like a slow paced day, leisurely strolls, taking in the ambience, relaxed pub lunch, getting my fill (as an English and Social St teacher) of the history of the place. Is there something else we should do between Stratford and London or will this be more than enough to occupy us for a day? I'm picturing an idyllic English village. Will Stratford live up to my romantic vision?

If you had to choose between York or Stratford for a day trip, which would you choose and why?

My son is desperate to see all things football related. If we were to spend a half day indulging him, what should we do? I will, of course, also check on trip advisor, but would like the opinion of CC experts.

Thanks! As you can see from my other threads on this forum, I have MANY questions about the London portion of our trip, having spent the last 3 months getting the Med cruise portion squared away. Thank you for indulging me, as I will have many more ;)

I certainly think you could spend a day there. You could visit Shakespeare's birthplace and the church where he is buried. There might be a backstage theatrre tour that you could book n advance. And there are nice walks along the banks of the River Avon and probably boat tours as well. If you decided didn't want to spend the whole day there, you could go to nearby Warwick and visit the castle.

However, I must point out that Stratford-upon-Avon is not by any stretch of the imagination an idyllic English village. It's certainly very English, lots of half-timbered houses etc. But it's not a village, its a town with a population of over 25,000. It is always busy with tourists and in August it's going to be packed.

DH, I, and our two mid-to-late teens will have 5 days post cruise in London this Aug., giving us some opportunities for day trips. Would a full day in Stratford, by train, be viable? I'd like a slow paced day, leisurely strolls, taking in the ambience, relaxed pub lunch, getting my fill (as an English and Social St teacher) of the history of the place. Is there something else we should do between Stratford and London or will this be more than enough to occupy us for a day? I'm picturing an idyllic English village. Will Stratford live up to my romantic vision?

I'd vote for a day-long visit to Bath, a place of historical and architectual importance in both the Roman and the Georgian periods. However, there is nothing of an idyllic English village about Bath. It's deservedly popular with tourists. The Cotswolds are very, very close to Bath and you could certainly have your leisurely, idyllic experience in one of those places but, like Stratford the region will be filled with tourists. I also think you'd need a car to reach the least visited villages.

One of my husband's and my favorite experiences visiting England was our time on the English-Welsh border. We loved the walled cities and the castles really reminded us of the original purpose of a castle -- defense for the area residents. None of the opulence of a palace! (Incidentally, Bath is one of the walled cities, but only fragments remain.)

We hopscotched via train for a couple of days to several cities/towns so I don't know if it is possible or worthwhile going as a single day-trip out of London. If I had to pick one city to visit, I think that would be Chester since the walls are essentially intact and the variety of architecture over the centuries is amazing. The city lies along the northern end of the English-Welsh border, closer to Liverpool than to London on the River Dee.

I certainly think you could spend a day there. You could visit Shakespeare's birthplace and the church where he is buried. There might be a backstage theatrre tour that you could book n advance. And there are nice walks along the banks of the River Avon and probably boat tours as well. If you decided didn't want to spend the whole day there, you could go to nearby Warwick and visit the castle.

However, I must point out that Stratford-upon-Avon is not by any stretch of the imagination an idyllic English village. It's certainly very English, lots of half-timbered houses etc. But it's not a village, its a town with a population of over 25,000. It is always busy with tourists and in August it's going to be packed.

Totally agree. Stratford-upon-Avon is my nearest large-ish town, so to me (and many locals) it is a shopping centre, not a tourist centre, too. There are tours (front and back of house) at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre (rsc.org.uk), but again remember this is a modern (and pretty ugly, IMHO) theatre. I have a friend who works there and just about every day they get tourists turning up expecting to see something contemporary to the playwright (or at least, the modern reproduction, the Globe, which of course is in Central London!)

There are plenty of places you can get off the train and have the English village experience you describe, or you can have the particular Shakespeare history of Stratford. For more about that look at Shakespeare.org.uk.

If you had to choose between York or Stratford for a day trip, which would you choose and why?

If you want the 'Ye Olde England' experience, York. A great, very walkable town.

My son is desperate to see all things football related. If we were to spend a half day indulging him, what should we do? I will, of course, also check on trip advisor, but would like the opinion of CC experts.

If you're planning on a day trip up north, I don't think your son would ever forgive you if you didn't go to Old Trafford and/or Anfield. In London, Wembley and Stamford Bridge are of course musts.

hsaroya ~

Lots of excellent information already posted here by Twickenham, Cotswold Eagle, and co. So many places to visit; so little time!;)

I agree with everything that's already been said, but I'll just add another tuppence 'orth of mine to the mix:

If you decide to visit Bath or York (both of which I can't recommend highly enough, although neither of them are "quaint villages") or anyplace that's any distance from London, you'll do yourself a huge favor and save £££ galore by purchasing your rail tickets in advance. If you haven't done so already, bookmark the journey planner page at National Rail website and play around with it frequently--it's an absolutely essential tool:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Also, to give yourself some ideas about places to visit as day trips from London, I strongly suggest a guidebook such as Frommer's Best Day Trips from London and/or Days Out from London (an Ordnance Survey Leisure Guide). Both of these, as well as several other similar guidebooks, provide a wealth of practical information, and are available at discount prices from your favorite friendly online bookseller.

Sorry I can't help with football stadia suggestions. I've been despondent ever since the old Arsenal Stadium was torn down.:(

On the other hand, I can direct you to some superb cricket grounds.;) You'll thank me later.:D

Edited by Post Captain

hsaroya ~

Lots of excellent information already posted here by Twickenham, Cotswold Eagle, and co. So many places to visit; so little time!;)

I agree with everything that's already been said, but I'll just add another tuppence 'orth of mine to the mix:

If you decide to visit Bath or York (both of which I can't recommend highly enough, although neither of them are "quaint villages") or anyplace that's any distance from London, you'll do yourself a huge favor and save £££ galore by purchasing your rail tickets in advance. If you haven't done so already, bookmark the journey planner page at National Rail website and play around with it frequently--it's an absolutely essential tool:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Also, to give yourself some ideas about places to visit as day trips from London, I strongly suggest a guidebook such as Frommer's Best Day Trips from London and/or Days Out from London (an Ordnance Survey Leisure Guide). Both of these, as well as several other similar guidebooks, provide a wealth of practical information, and are available at discount prices from your favorite friendly online bookseller.

Sorry I can't help with football stadia suggestions. I've been despondent ever since the old Arsenal Stadium was torn down.:(

On the other hand, I can direct you to some superb cricket grounds.;) You'll thank me later.:D

Laughing about the cricket :D as my husband and I were both born in India and he grew up there. He thinks cricket is the longest, most tedious game ever! I know, ironic, huh? He's been addicted to the Olympic curling (yay, Canada!), so perhaps I need to get him up to Scotland!

Thanks for the info on the advance tickets. I will definitely pre-book once I can get Bath, York, Stratford, etc decided!

York can be done in 2 hours from London by train. For your soccer-mad son, the train goes right by the Emirates stadium.

Ouch. Emirates. You might have sealed the deal. Would we be able to get on and off at that location easily?

Totally agree. Stratford-upon-Avon is my nearest large-ish town, so to me (and many locals) it is a shopping centre, not a tourist centre, too. There are tours (front and back of house) at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre (rsc.org.uk), but again remember this is a modern (and pretty ugly, IMHO) theatre. I have a friend who works there and just about every day they get tourists turning up expecting to see something contemporary to the playwright (or at least, the modern reproduction, the Globe, which of course is in Central London!)

There are plenty of places you can get off the train and have the English village experience you describe, or you can have the particular Shakespeare history of Stratford. For more about that look at Shakespeare.org.uk.

Thanks, Cotswold Eagle. Wish I had some more time, to be able to explore your neck of the woods.

If you want the 'Ye Olde England' experience, York. A great, very walkable town.

If you're planning on a day trip up north, I don't think your son would ever forgive you if you didn't go to Old Trafford and/or Anfield. In London, Wembley and Stamford Bridge are of course musts.

Thanks, Twickenham. I was in York 23 yrs ago, pre-kids and husband. Loved it!

I'd vote for a day-long visit to Bath, a place of historical and architectual importance in both the Roman and the Georgian periods. However, there is nothing of an idyllic English village about Bath. It's deservedly popular with tourists. The Cotswolds are very, very close to Bath and you could certainly have your leisurely, idyllic experience in one of those places but, like Stratford the region will be filled with tourists. I also think you'd need a car to reach the least visited villages.

One of my husband's and my favorite experiences visiting England was our time on the English-Welsh border. We loved the walled cities and the castles really reminded us of the original purpose of a castle -- defense for the area residents. None of the opulence of a palace! (Incidentally, Bath is one of the walled cities, but only fragments remain.)

We hopscotched via train for a couple of days to several cities/towns so I don't know if it is possible or worthwhile going as a single day-trip out of London. If I had to pick one city to visit, I think that would be Chester since the walls are essentially intact and the variety of architecture over the centuries is amazing. The city lies along the northern end of the English-Welsh border, closer to Liverpool than to London on the River Dee.

Bath definitely sounds intriguing. Thank you, Pet Nit Noy!

A side trip to Warwick would be something to consider as well.

Edited by hsaroya

For the football, a ground tour of Wembley Stadium (can be booked in advance) and, if there's a convenient fixture, a night match at one of the London clubs (not Millwall, it isn't safe).

The season will start around mid-August, and the fixtures come out mid-June. Some of the top sides sell out so you might not get a ticket - eg. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham - but a lower division experience like Brentford, Wimbledon or Orient might feel more "authentic".

For the football, a ground tour of Wembley Stadium (can be booked in advance) and, if there's a convenient fixture, a night match at one of the London clubs (not Millwall, it isn't safe).

The season will start around mid-August, and the fixtures come out mid-June. Some of the top sides sell out so you might not get a ticket - eg. Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham - but a lower division experience like Brentford, Wimbledon or Orient might feel more "authentic".

Funny, just before I read this, I was looking for tickets for my 14 yo DD so she could get her One Direction or other such pretty boy band fix in London, and I came across the Wembley ground tour. I will definitely run this by DS. I'm sure he'll be thrilled! Actually, both kids will be - DD has been playing soccer since the age of 4 as well. Her team is going to cities tomorrow and then, hopefully, moving on to provincials. In fact, here in the province of Alberta, Canada, we play indoor boarded soccer in the winter. So, no question that soccer rules in this household!

Edited by hsaroya

I have definitely decided (I think!) on York. Do you think a hop on/off tour bus is necessary or can we walk to most of the important historical sites?

Now that I've settled on York, a few more ???

Why is the train to York the same amount of time as to Bath and Stratford Upon Avon when they appear to be so much closer?

The off peak times appear to be around 35-45 pounds return. Is this reasonable?

As there are 4 of us, would it be better to drive? DH grew up in India, so drove on left til late 20's. Rental from Heathrow appears to be $55 for an automatic for the day. Is there a better place to rent from?

Thank you!

Renting a car from HeAthrow if you're staying in Central London doesn't make sense . Also wouldn't recommend driving to York from Central London as the journey will take hours (4 hrs + minimum and then back again) it will end up being an endurance test rather than a relaxing trip so if you really want to go to York take the train. Trust me we have done it and don't enjoy it all. Other older cities that are nearer include Cambridge, Canterbury and Oxford. At the height of August they will be very busy however.

The Emirates stadium (and Wembley) offer guided tours and are easy to reach when in a London. I'm sure the other big clubs do the same too.

Renting a car from HeAthrow if you're staying in Central London doesn't make sense . Also wouldn't recommend driving to York from Central London as the journey will take hours (4 hrs + minimum and then back again) it will end up being an endurance test rather than a relaxing trip so if you really want to go to York take the train. Trust me we have done it and don't enjoy it all. Other older cities that are nearer include Cambridge, Canterbury and Oxford. At the height of August they will be very busy however.

The Emirates stadium (and Wembley) offer guided tours and are easy to reach when in a London. I'm sure the other big clubs do the same too.

Thank you, Morgans. I'd much rather do a relaxing train ride than a long car drive!

Would you recommend a hop on off tour once there?

Edited by hsaroya

I can't add much to the reason to take the train rather than drive, other than to mention that booking your tickets 11 to 12 weeks in advance wil get you the best priced tickets.

Also, York can be done by walking but as in any city the bus tours will be useful to see the main sights. I don't think anyone has mentioned that York has a wonderful city wall, the Yorvik Viking centre, the Castle Museum (much better than it sounds) and the National Railway Museum and lots more.

If you were to stay there for a night you could even head into the North Yorkshire Moors to the 'quaint Yorkshire villages' by bus, that are nearby.

I can't add much to the reason to take the train rather than drive, other than to mention that booking your tickets 11 to 12 weeks in advance wil get you the best priced tickets.

Also, York can be done by walking but as in any city the bus tours will be useful to see the main sights. I don't think anyone has mentioned that York has a wonderful city wall, the Yorvik Viking centre, the Castle Museum (much better than it sounds) and the National Railway Museum and lots more.

If you were to stay there for a night you could even head into the North Yorkshire Moors to the 'quaint Yorkshire villages' by bus, that are nearby.

Thank you for the info on York - I think we've made the right choice for a day trip!