Nothing concrete, but talk of adding to the fleet

uktog

I can only imagine what type of fares the "Suite Class" will have. :eek: :eek:

We have almost the same set up on our NCL cruise. I undertand Celebrity is adopting the suite idea fom NCL. The cost of our suite on NCL is less than an inside on Azamara. We had the Royal Suite on the Millenium several years ago....less than a balcony on Azamara. The deals are out there if you're willing to surf the net.

I can only imagine what type of fares the "Suite Class" will have. :eek: :eek:

Hi Midwestchick,

That's what most everyone on the Celebrity forum is wondering as well. My guess is, prices will rise significantly for Suites, as long as the general economy remains relatively positive, and cruise demand remains strong. If we get a economic downturn, I have to believe they wont be able to obtain the price increases they are obviously hoping for. Time will tell.

Legitimate questions are (1) when will Azamara proceed with the full renovation of its two ships, as planned two years ago; (2) whether Azamara has the financial wherewithal and the parent company backing to expand its fleet when for seemingly financial reasons it backed away from the full renovation of its two ships; and (3) whether an expansion of the Azamara fleet would adversely affect the on-board experience about which everyone raves.

I know nothing about the Celebrity "ship within a ship" plans. But for a good portion of its market share, I would think that Azamara does not compete against Celebrity as much as it does against other lines, especially Oceania.

Hi Reggiefan,

Question #1 is a good one, and something we'd all love to know the answer to. It's very odd that Azamara made big plans to renovate their ships, and not only did they significantly scale it back... but we haven't heard much if anything about future upgrades in ages.

As for Question #2, there is zero doubt that Royal Caribbean has the finanical means to give Azamara everything they need to take the brand to the next level. However, it's not going to happen unless Azamara is meeting their financial goals. Whether they are or not, is anyone's guess, but the fact that we aren't hearing anything is not encouraging. Let's hope that the wheels are turning. That's all we can do for now.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Midwestchick,

That's what most everyone on the Celebrity forum is wondering as well. My guess is, prices will rise significantly for Suites, as long as the general economy remains relatively positive, and cruise demand remains strong. If we get a economic downturn, I have to believe they wont be able to obtain the price increases they are obviously hoping for. Time will tell.

It would be interesting if someone kept a spreadsheet with the prices and then compared it when all the "suite" changes are in effect. I also wonder if the cost will go up for just the regular staterooms as well to help balance out a huge price increase for just the suites.

The Century is going to become part of Croisieres De France in April, 2015.

Also part of RCCL

Hi Ozark,

FWIW, this is unconfirmed by Celebrity. What we DO know for a fact, is that Century is leaving the fleet in April 2015. Where she is headed, is another matter. Some say she's going to Croisieres De France - their FB page made that "announcement" several weeks ago. However, I just disembarked Century yesterday, and was told that Pullmantur execs were all over the ship taking measurements and photos, during her drydock 2 weeks ago.

I even heard some rumors onboard, that Century might be headed to Azamara. Yes, Azamara - but I totally discount that one, as I've previously been told that it's highly unlikely that would happen. I realize that Century is probably too big for Azamara, but she's an absolutely beautiful ship, in major need of some TLC. Under the right circumstances, and if in fact Azamara were not going to be adding newbuilds anytime soon, I'd love to see Azamara take a chance on her, but only if she were to be renovated.

Right now, Century is tired looking, but we had a very nice 11 days onboard. Where Century lacked, was in training service - at least on this sailing. While there were many fine crew members onboard, I've never seen so many crew who appeared untrained and uninformed. As I've said repeatedly, nothing beats Azamara's Officers and Crew.

Edited by Host Andy

I know nothing about the Celebrity "ship within a ship" plans. But for a good portion of its market share, I would think that Azamara does not compete against Celebrity as much as it does against other lines, especially Oceania.

I disagree this will make upmarket seasoned cruisers think twice about cruising Azamara. Considering the ship within a ship strategy will work positively for Celebrity I would really look hard at cruising X with a suite designation if the pricing was competitive to that of a AZ balcony fare.

Trust me, Larry Pimental is not excited about these changes at Celebrity. He wanted a full over haul of both ships when at dry dock last year and got the veto. Not only is he competing against Oceania and Crystal, now Celebrity.

My guess is he is working hard in getting RCI to commit for 2 new builds. If you want to be competitive and remain viable you need new ships. The R ships are old and showing signs of wear and tear so Larry knows what has to be done in order to keep AZ sailing.

It would be interesting if someone kept a spreadsheet with the prices and then compared it when all the "suite" changes are in effect. I also wonder if the cost will go up for just the regular staterooms as well to help balance out a huge price increase for just the suites.

Hi Midwestchick,

It certainly wouldnt surprise me. I think we will have our answers, at least initially, when Celebrity rolls out the bulk of their 2015/2016 deployment in March.

One of my first thoughts when Celebrity announced that for the 15/16 season all Celebrity ships would have a "ship within a ship" for suites with separate dining room and lounge that RCI has decided not to expand Azamara and instead will use Celebrity as its premium brand.

Anyone else think this is where they are headed?

I don't think so. Celebrity and Azamara are far apart in terms of product. Creating a ship within a ship on Celebrity can't be compared to Azamara because the ships are so much larger and the service delivery less personal. Chalk and cheese. I just hope Azamara remains and the talk of expanding the fleet, which has been going on since I first sailed with them in 2011, actually happens. That would give me more confidence that Larry Pimental is banging the drum loud enough that the bosses at RCCL can hear it. If it's all down to economics that might be quite a struggle. Anyone know if Azamara has made a profit since it started? Genuine question of interest rather than being rhetorical.

Phil

Hi Ozark,

FWIW, this is unconfirmed by Celebrity. What we DO know for a fact, is that Century is leaving the fleet in April 2015. Where she is headed, is another matter. Some say she's going to Croisieres De France - their FB page made that "announcement" several weeks ago. However, I just disembarked Century yesterday, and was told that Pullmantur execs were all over the ship taking measurements and photos, during her drydock 2 weeks ago.

I even heard some rumors onboard, that Century might be headed to Azamara. Yes, Azamara - but I totally discount that one, as I've previously been told that it's highly unlikely that would happen. I realize that Century is probably too big for Azamara, but she's an absolutely beautiful ship, in major need of some TLC. Under the right circumstances, and if in fact Azamara were not going to be adding newbuilds anytime soon, I'd love to see Azamara take a chance on her, but only if she were to be renovated.

Right now, Century is tired looking, but we had a very nice 11 days onboard. Where Century lacked, was in training service - at least on this sailing. While there were many fine crew members onboard, I've never seen so many crew who appeared untrained and uninformed. As I've said repeatedly, nothing beats Azamara's Officers and Crew.

I guess no one will really know until it actually happen.

Croisieres De France is a subsidiary Pullmantur so that may explain why they were there checking it out.

Edited by ozark74

With regard to the parent company approving the refurbishing of the current ships as planned 15 months ago or the adding of a new ship or ships to the Azamara fleet, what effect, if any, will the recent Journey incident and cancellation of at least one cruise have? I have no idea what insurance Azamara has. But without insurance the repair expenses, the reimbursement and other expenses, and the loss of revenue will be substantial.