Is a jacket required on formal night?

AandBmom

You are rude.

Royal is not a high tier cruise line so please stop acting like you are better then other people.

I don't think you kow what board your on! These people here are the Royal Snobs, think they are on the Queen Mary and complain about how somone not in a tux will ruin thier night of dress up and lets play make beleive that they are on a traditional cruise. See how many people here start thier comments with " I am a diamond member". But none of them can EVER give any justification or logical reason of how someone not dressed up in a tux ruins thier dinner in the MDR on Royal Caribbean, and then try to compare it to eating at a 5 star reaturant in Manhattan. Maybe they are used to Applebees being thier big night out in thier hometown.

IT"S ROYAL CARIBBEAN PEOPLE, A FAMILY CRUISE LINE FOR VACATION!!!!!!!!!!

No offense taken. The old "disaster in the desert" game. I was there. I think we set a school record for missed tackles that game.

I HONESTLY have never heard the phrase "disaster in the desert" before! :) Obviously a different perspective of the game than yours... :D

As for record for missed tackles - I think the highlight I've seen replayed more than any other for that game was Tommy Frazier's touchdown run, and I think there were probably at least 10 missed tackles on that play alone. Although, in all fairness, he was GREAT at making people miss tackles...

I have a couple other "favorite moments" from that game too, but won't make you suffer the agony of listening to my recount of them... :)

On past cruises my husband typically wears dress pants with shirt and tie.

I read that RCCL has formal night, smart casual and casual.

Does he really need a jacket for formal night?Nope Will most men be wearing a jacket?Some will, some won't We're on Freedom if that makes a difference.No difference.

Now, I wonder what the other 4 + pages I didn't bother to read were about? :confused:

But none of them can EVER give any justification or logical reason of how someone not dressed up in a tux ruins thier dinner in the MDR on Royal Caribbean, and then try to compare it to eating at a 5 star reaturant in Manhattan.

Good point. I've noticed this rather interesting trait as well.

We were just on Freedom last week. DH brought his tux and I wore a gown on formals. There were a lot of men in MDR in khakis and polo shirt. Did they ruin our dining experience? Nope. We could care less what anyone had on. We dressed up because we found it fun and something we don't do back home. I rarely even looked at the other people in the MDR each night, because what they wear doesn't effect what we do. I more just glanced around in formal night due to all the controversy on the subject.

I am sure others have thought of this, but for those who have not here is way to get around the "packing a jacket takes up too much room in the suitcase" issue. Dh just wears his jacket/blazer on the plane as his outerwear coat. Inflight it goes in the overhead neatly folded. :D

DH always wears a sportcoat on the plane too. However, he also packs his suit in the suitcase. He wears the suit on formal nights and the sportcoat to the alternative dining venues, even on Carnival.

Our experience is closer to the 85% number wearing at least a jacket and tie on RCCL formal nights. We were surprised on our Dec. Princess cruise - probably more like 95% of the men had on jackets and 50% of them were in tuxes. It was the most formalwear we have seen in years.

For me a suit does not feel complete without the jacket and tie. On my last cruise I brought along the jacket and tie and it was dandy.

Well... Umm... That's probably because without the jacket & tie it's NOT a suit, it's just a pair of dress slacks! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I don't think you kow what board your on! These people here are the Royal Snobs, think they are on the Queen Mary and complain about how somone not in a tux will ruin thier night of dress up and lets play make beleive that they are on a traditional cruise. See how many people here start thier comments with " I am a diamond member". But none of them can EVER give any justification or logical reason of how someone not dressed up in a tux ruins thier dinner in the MDR on Royal Caribbean, and then try to compare it to eating at a 5 star reaturant in Manhattan. Maybe they are used to Applebees being thier big night out in thier hometown.

You must sail quite often on Carnival huh?....:rolleyes:

We should worry less about what someone else may be wearing at dinner than how they behave. I've been seated near people dressed to the nines who loudly brayed like mules all through dinner. Another time I was seated next to a smartly dressed couple who were a couple of bigots and he farted all through the meal. You can put lipstick and a formal on a pig and it's still a pig.

That's a great point and should have been the final comment in this thread.

And if part of the vacation experience involves formal night at dinner, they should be able to get the experience they paid for.

Therefore, Royal should enforce the MDR dress code, and let those who choose to not dress, do as they please in the Windjammer or other dining venue.

And if part of the vacation experience involves formal night at dinner, they should be able to get the experience they paid for.

Therefore, Royal should enforce the MDR dress code, and let those who choose to not dress, do as they please in the Windjammer or other dining venue.

It is not a dress code. If you are uncomfortable with that fact may I suggest that maybe you should be the one to avail yourself of other options like room service so as not to be offended by those not in formal wear. You have no grounds; absolutely none whatsoever; to tell people to skip the dinner they have paid for. How utterly obnoxious of you to believe otherwise.

Casual dressers - what do you do at home when attending functions where "dress-up" is expected - weddings, funerals, church functions, dances, etc. Is it your goal at these events to be dressed more casually than most? If so, why?, and don't you ever feel underdressed? I'm guessing most of you dress as you expect to be the "norm" at an event.

Why then is it so difficult to throw a tie and sport coat into your suitcase so that you can dress as most expect in the MDR on certain nights. No, you won't be thrown out of the MDR and you won't be thrown out of that funeral either, but just can't understand why so many of you are intent on pushing the "lower limit" on MDR dress. Most of your posts indicate it because its "your vacation", i.e. its all about you. Sad.

You know. Your right. It is all about me. I paid my money to go on a Cruise. Therefore I will always wear what I want to. I really hate the elitist posts like this. Posts like this ruin this forum.

Ignoring the posts by people with their minds made up discussing their position with other people whose minds are made up, I think there is a slow realization that the popularity of both traditional dining and formal nights is shifting. Neither will disappear but both are becoming more optional to an increasing number of people. I expect cruise lines will shift via the alternate restaurants to increasing theme nights such as the Prohibition Party on the Allure of the Seas. I think one formal night will be kept on seven day cruises but I think the two formal nights on a seven day cruise will be ending within a few years. The trend is away from just dress up and towards theme/role play parties instead of nights.

I will predict Renaissance Festival style theme parties to happen as well.

Of course, I could be wrong and they just convert the old main dining rooms into Windjammer II locations and we all eat in our swim suits. :)

Edited by LoneStarJeffe