Anniversary Cruise

baflagg

Need some help. My husband and I are considering taking a cruise for our 10 year anniversary during the summer of 2015. We are thinking of the Gem NY/Bahama crusie. We've sailed on both the Jewel and Breakaway, had a great time on both.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money to book an aft penthouse w/large balacony (SF) vs a midship balcony (BA). The difference is about $1600. We've always had the BA class room so I'm wondering if the extra suite perks are worth the additional money.

We would add in the beverage package and my travel agent today also mentioned a new ulitimate dining package that would be an additional $119 per person. I'm not sure that is something we would want as we kind of perfer to just go with the flow and dine when we are ready and not have to worry about reservations.

For those of you that have had suites before I'd appreciate any feed back.

Of course the biggest decision I have to make is if I'm able to go a week without our daughter. Grandma is more than happy to take her, I just don't know that I could go a week without her so I may be adding in the 3rd person cost :confused:

OMG, you would SO love an aft penthouse! My favorite location, I've had two now, and aft balconies before that.

The suite perks are wonderful on NCL, and I've fit into the saying, "once a suite, always a suite!"

Go for it. Especially if it's an anniversary.

And time to loosen those apron strings; let Grandma have a wonderful week with her granddaughter! (Speaking as a grandmother.)

I haven't done the dining package, but we did dine in 4 specialty restaurants and do the Chef's Table on the last cruise. If you want to do Chef's Table, don't do dining package, as it is not included, and still costs over and above, but worth it. I won't do less than two dinners in Le Bistro, my favorite specialty restaurant on any cruise.

So my opinion is to take the aft penthouse suite and enjoy!

We did an anniversary cruise in December; the ultimate dining package wasn't available at the time. But we did go often to the specialty restaurants, and also did the chef's table and jazz brunch. (Review below if interested in the details).

We also prebooked the anniversary package, which we really enjoyed. Our cabin was BA and it was certainly very comfortable, but then we have not had a penthouse to compare it to! I think I would be scared to try it because then nothing else would compare!?!

All the best wishes to you for your anniversary!

As you daughter is most likely under 10 and possibly still a very young child please do not feel guilty if you take her WITH you.

People always went blah blah blah and said you need to get away without the kids.

Now the ones saying this either had no kids or were not on speaking terms with their kids!

Oh and we had 4 kids under age 13 at the time. No grandparents or responsible aunts to leave them with. But they still said we should go away without them.

Oh and be ready for many posters to tell you you are overprotective. You will not hear this from me because we have made the best memories taking our kids on all of our anniversary vacation celebrations

10 year disneyworld
15 year Disney cruise
20 year med cruise
24 year
Retirement cruise and graduations med cruise

25 year anniversary. Disney. But this time only with the 2 youngest as the older ones grew up too fast and can't make it!!!!!

Oh and the apron strings will loosen on their own so if you don't want to untie them just don't. Mother Nature is a great lady and takes care of stuff like that for you so you don't need to. You won't even notice and it will be painless. Trust me. Lol

Happy anniversary! Edited by Crusin6

[quote name='Crusin6']...People always went blah blah blah and said you need to get away without the kids.

Now the ones saying this either had no kids or were not on speaking terms with their kids!...[/QUOTE]

We took many vacations with the kids. And many without. I am in the boat that says to go [B]without them[/B]. Gram will love it!

Our kids are now 30 and very close to us. They are also very close to their Gram. And [B]they are indeed speaking to us[/B], often daily.

[quote name='garycarla']We took many vacations with the kids. And many without. I am in the boat that says to go [B]without them[/B]. Gram will love it!

Our kids are now 30 and very close to us. They are also very close to their Gram. And [B]they are indeed speaking to us[/B], often daily.[/QUOTE]

The ones that keep preaching to us to go without the kids didn't seem to care that we had nobody to leave them with. Now go figure. Why would someone keep telling us that knowing that we didn't have a responsible babysitter?

Our kids are very active and there would be 2 or 3 activities per day. My 80 year old mil who doesn't drive was supposed to do this?

Not sure why this person kept telling us we "needed" to go without the kids as we never complained and certainly were not on the verge if a breakdown either.

It was funny to listen to her though and what finally shut her up was when I asked when she was taking vacation from work so we could give her the kids schedules and she could care for them during her vacation week. So we could go on vacation without the kids as she suggested.

Btw. She has grand kids now and wants them to travel with her.

We seemed to have drifted a tad off-topic...
OP, a suite on NCL is a very special experience, very fitting for a special occasion. The breakfast and lunch perk as well as the care you will get from the butler are amazing. We are booked in an aft suite for our next cruise. I've had an aft balcony and loved it so I'm sure I will love the aft penthouse even more.

As to the dining package, I would probably do it for a 7 day but we are on a 10 day and honestly it feels like a bit of a rip off for that duration so we will probably pass. The other thing to consider is with suite lunch, you might not be so hungry at dinner. I seem to remember a couple of nights where we just grabbed a few nibbles from the buffet and called it dinner.

I suggest you book a suite that can hold 3 so you will be comfortable about being able to take your daughter if you choose to later. Summer of 2015 is quite aways away :) Edited by j-9
Typo

We usually get aft balcony rooms but have had aft penthouses twice and loved them. It depends to us on the difference in price. If it isn't totally out of line I'd go for it.
As far as the dining package, that too depends on your preference. Some days we are busy and don't get lunch so dinner is important. Other days dinner is just ice cream. Guess it wouldn't work for us.:D
Breakfast in Cagney's is very nice BUT DH isn't an early riser so he didn't make too many of them since they close earlier than other places. We don't usually eat a big lunch, except for departure day, so that wasn't a big seller either. Guess you have to decide if the perks you would use are worth the difference in price. Congrats on your anniversary.

I am probably a minority of one, but I personally feel that the perks that go with the penthouse suites are overblown (now the Haven, that's a different story). This is not sour grapes -- we were upsold from our aft balcony to the penthouse suite next to it on one of our cruises. We had a butler who we never saw but were expected to tip, nonetheless. He did deliver five bite size canapes sometime in the afternoon when we were not in the cabin, but since the ship provides food 24/7 it seemed rather pointless. Oh, and there is a bowl of fresh fruit in the room, but again, fruit can be found at the buffet. The Lavazza coffee maker was very nice and we did use it for that first cup in the morning, but I don't think it would be worth an extra $1600. Some people have the butler serve them dinner in the cabin, but to my thinking that is like ordering takeout.

However, you will have access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, which is a nice perk.

You also have a concierge at your service, but since we are quite capable of making our own dinner reservations he was rather superfluous as far as we were concerned.

It really is up to you to decide if the perks that go with the penthouse suite are worth the extra money. For us it would not have been worth it, but as an upsell it was an interesting experience. Edited by suometar
add more information

[quote name='baflagg'].....For those of you that have had suites before I'd appreciate any feed back.

Of course the biggest decision I have to make is if I'm able to go a week without our daughter. Grandma is more than happy to take her, I just don't know that I could go a week without her so I may be adding in the 3rd person cost :confused:[/QUOTE]

Presumably you are aware the 3rd person cost would be a basic amount i.e. the child inside price, and that she would receive all the suite benefits also. That makes the suite an even better deal.

I was on the GEM in an aft penthouse last summer and booked again for this coming summer. Loved it and all of the perks. Try to get a room on the 10th deck as the balconies are the biggest. Our butler was great and did more than just bring the usual afternoon treats. Had a bad butler in my first suite, but did not realize how bad he was until I had a great one on the Gem. We never waited on line for anything the entire cruise thanks to the concierge. Although we were in the lowest suite, we felt totally spoiled. Anywhere on the ship workers treated us special when they saw our suite roomcard. (Sorry people, it should not be that way, but it was.) It was great to have Cagneys for a quiet place for breakfast and lunch. The concierge found us at dinner every night to check in with us, even on the nights that we did not have reservations. Don't know how he found us. Love the coffee maker and used it many times a day as I am a coffee addict and snob. I only like certain coffees and preger to make my own over even Starbucks. The coffee on the ship served in dining rooms is terrible. Loved getting off the ship to the private island quickly and stealthily through the concierge. Love the priority embarkation and debarkation. No waiting and through customs in a flash. I choose to cruise once a year in a suite over twice in an inside/ocean view. My first cruise in a suite was only $150 more than a balcony with the offered OBC. I was instantly hooked, even with less than stellar suite services on that cruise. Last years cruise was heavenly and I hope for a repeat this summer. Take the suite and don't be afraid to take your child. The butler will cater to him/her and there is plenty of room in the suite for three. Enjoy whatever you choose.

[quote name='suometar']I am probably a minority of one, but I personally feel that the perks that go with the penthouse suites are overblown (now the Haven, that's a different story). This is not sour grapes -- we were upsold from our aft balcony to the penthouse suite next to it on one of our cruises. We had a butler who we never saw but were expected to tip, nonetheless. He did deliver five bite size canapes sometime in the afternoon when we were not in the cabin, but since the ship provides food 24/7 it seemed rather pointless. Oh, and there is a bowl of fresh fruit in the room, but again, fruit can be found at the buffet. The Lavazza coffee maker was very nice and we did use it for that first cup in the morning, but I don't think it would be worth an extra $1600. Some people have the butler serve them dinner in the cabin, but to my thinking that is like ordering takeout.

However, you will have access to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, which is a nice perk.

You also have a concierge at your service, but since we are quite capable of making our own dinner reservations he was rather superfluous as far as we were concerned.

It really is up to you to decide if the perks that go with the penthouse suite are worth the extra money. For us it would not have been worth it, but as an upsell it was an interesting experience.[/QUOTE]

Ya know...twice we've booked SFs and twice we've cancelled them because of all that you said. To each his/her own. But for us, we just wouldn't use suite service effectively.

Taking or not taking your daughter should come down to what you're comfortable with! Will you be able to enjoy your cruise if you leave her at home? If you'll spend a lot of time feeling guilty or missing her, then take her with! We have & do vacation both ways. As with all of parenting, go with your gut & do what feels right for you & your family :-)

Don't know if financially or with Grandmas schedule it would work but you could always get the type of cabin you usually get & put the extra you'd spend on the bigger cabin towards a cabin for Grandma & your daughter. Then you could have the best of both, time for you & hubby and time with your daughter. We've also done this a time or two with vacations.

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your cruise & have a wonderful anniversary!

Check prices and see if you can get a 2 bedroom family suite or even The Haven Courtyard Penthouse with balcony (your daughter would have the whole living room to herself at night and you would have a private bedroom.) I think you would be thrilled with either of these. Otherwise, go for the Penthouse. NCL does suites better than any other cruise line and I think you will be absolutely thrilled with your decision! Check with various travel agents as onboard credit can equalize the cost of a suite with a regular stateroom. I have actually found online agencies that offer cheaper prices than NCL, so so look around for the best price.

OP: first of all, congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

Having sailed on the Gem and the Jewel in regular balconies, and the Jade in an SF aft-penthouse (in 2010), and having done the NY/Florida/Bahamas cruise (on the Jewel), here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. An aft penthouse would be very special and wonderful for an anniversary cruise if you can afford it. (Pics of deck 10 SF below.) I have to say, though, that the price differential you are quoting for such a short cruise is a huge difference. It's pretty hard to justify (for me), particularly on that itinerary (which to me is not one of the best). And in the summer --- I hope you like hot and humid weather!

2. I think the benefits of a suite on NCL are great (at least they were in 2010) -- particularly getting to have breakfast and lunch at Cagney's, and particularly on the Gem, where the buffet is really badly set up and thus seemed unduly crowded/bad traffic flow. (The Jewel buffet is set up better with separate stations.) If you are sailing on the Gem, having a suite would make it much easier to avoid the buffet.

3. Only you know your financial situation and what matters to you and can make the suite v. balcony decision.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

[URL=http://s922.photobucket.com/user/turtles06_photos/media/NCL%20Jade%202010%20Med%20Cruise/MedCruise20102598.jpg.html][IMG]http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/turtles06_photos/NCL%20Jade%202010%20Med%20Cruise/MedCruise20102598.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s922.photobucket.com/user/turtles06_photos/media/NCL%20Jade%202010%20Med%20Cruise/MedCruise2010630.jpg.html][IMG]http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/turtles06_photos/NCL%20Jade%202010%20Med%20Cruise/MedCruise2010630.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

(photos by turtles06)

• 5 months later...
Not going to comment on the suite vs balcony thing or the taking your daughter thing, as those are personal choices.

However, I am wondering why you are paying (presumably) so much extra for a midship balcony versus a regular balcony. I don't think that's worth it, even if you are a bit closer to certain parts of the ship.

Besides, you can get a regular balcony and just choose a room closer to the midship rooms, and it's almost the same thing for much cheaper.

Anyway, have a great anniversary.

We just returned from our 20th wedding anniversary aboard the Gem and had aft penthouse 8630. It was worth every penny and is probably my favourite cabin layout that we have had so far. I was worried because the itinerary was not that exciting but we ended up with perfect weather and a wonderful cruise.

We did not purchase the dining package and were so happy we didn't. Our first meal in a specialty restaurant was at Cagney's for our anniversary. Although the food was spectacular we ate so much we felt like crap for the rest of the night. The only other specialty restaurant we did was LaCucina and the same thing; the food was very good but very filling.

The main dining rooms had just started on the new menus and the food was excellent. We will definitely stick to them next time. We went to breakfast at Cagney's everyday but 1 and it is a suite perk that we enjoy the most. The lunch menu there is not my favourite so we mainly had salads for lunch from Blue Lagoon.

All in all, it was well worth the extra and you will have a great time!!!