Gold Coast Cruiser's Queen Mary 2 Blog

Tuesday 04 March

At Sea

This morning we awoke to a moderate breeze and the Captain advised we have waves of 4 – 7 feet, not that we have noticed any difference on the ship. The temperatures remain in the low 30’s centigrade and the sea temperature is 27.6C…..not that any of us intending testing it….

Today is Shrove so in the English tradition the ships company had teams made up teams from various departments for the annual Pancake races. They were all dressed in various ‘getups’ and the challenge was on.

Of course the ‘Galley Hobbits’ won, they definitely know how to run a relay tossing a pancake in a frypan without dropping it. They get more practice at it than the Pursers, The Cabin stewards or the Barmen. There was a huge crowd up on deck 13 to cheer them all on and a good laugh was had by everyone, including the Captain and his wife. She presented the trophy to the winning team as it is her Birthday today. She shares it with our daughter-in-law Donna. HAPPY BIRTHDAY again Donna.

After a light lunch up in the buffet we had a very lazy afternoon before meeting our table colleagues for pre-dinner drinks up in the Commodore Club which overlooks the bow of the ship. Four of us disembark in Fremantle and the other four continue onward. I have taken up enjoying a Pimms again. I hadn’t had one for about 30 years when it used to be every woman’s favourite drink.

Our weather has gone from being reported as ‘smooth with wavelets’ to ‘rough with a Force 6 wind speed’ and some of the outside decks have been closed due to the strong winds. Having said that that, the ship still has very little movement in our stateroom which is toward the aft of the ship. Every now and then I can see our curtains move a bit. This ship does definitely live up to its title of being the most stable ship at sea. The wave height is reported at 7.5 to 12 foot waves or 2 – 5.4 metres.

We’ll sleep well tonight.

Jill

And the port after Fremantle is Adelaide. :p. Five more sleeps. But I'm not counting ......more than three times a day.

Thanks for the blog of the trip. It makes great reading.

Stop counting Pushka - I am so jealous. I've got a week and a half to go before I board too :p

Edited by Aussieflyer

Thanks for the blog of the trip. It makes great reading.

Stop counting Pushka - I am so jealous. I've got a week and a half to go before I board too :p

We'll make up for that in Brisbane. ;)

And the port after Fremantle is Adelaide. :p. Five more sleeps. But I'm not counting ......more than three times a day.

On the Indian Pacific heading for Adelaide, never will complain about small bathrooms on ships! Really it's quite cosy. Looking forward to QM2 but only onboard to Sydney.

The Indian Pacific trip is great - a wonderful way to unwind. The bathrooms are amazing, so much in such a small space! I would go again at the drop of a hat. Enjoy your time on the train and also on QM2.

I'm going on the Maharajas' Express in just over two weeks time. If the pictures are accurate it has the biggest bathrooms I've ever seen on a train. :)

On the Indian Pacific heading for Adelaide, never will complain about small bathrooms on ships! Really it's quite cosy. Looking forward to QM2 but only onboard to Sydney.

Safe travels then. Some warm weather in Adelaide this long weekend. 30, 34, and Monday for our departure, 34. Should be a great sailaway. Melbourne looking a bit showery though.

It's WOMadelaide, Fringe and Festival of the Arts here right now so a little bit crazy on the tourist front.

The hot weather has caused a last minute change to the wardrobe on departure too. Hate being hot when dealing with "travel" issues.

I love cruising that much, I am happy to read about others enjoying their cruising. I loved all the Cunard ships although happy to spread my wings to others.

Thanks again, enjoy :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good morning from Fremantle. After a night of Force 8 gale force winds we are here in Fremantle. This ship is a most stable ship.....it didn't keep us awake last night. Hope you have enjoyed my daily ramblings. Didn't do one yestetday as I ran out of my free onboard internet.

Jill

Safe travels then. Some warm weather in Adelaide this long weekend. 30, 34, and Monday for our departure, 34. Should be a great sailaway. Melbourne looking a bit showery though.

It's WOMadelaide, Fringe and Festival of the Arts here right now so a little bit crazy on the tourist front.

The hot weather has caused a last minute change to the wardrobe on departure too. Hate being hot when dealing with "travel" issues.

Safe travels to you too. Pushka. Have a wonderful cruise. I'm expecting temps in the 30's in most of the places we'll be visiting in India. I am packing accordingly ;)

I've just randomly met a whole group of people embarking in Adelaide for the Adelaide - Hong Kong sector. I'm thinking a lot of people disembarked in Fremantle today so many small sectors sold Fremantle to Adelaide so as to free up staterooms for Adelaide onwards. QM2 didn't port at Adelaide first time round so interesting there is (was) availability for anyone to embark here. Beautiful days ahead weather wise. Autumn is the time to visit Adelaide.

Gold Coast Cruisers trip seemed to go so quickly.

And safe India travels to you TripleJ. ;)

Edited by Pushka

Thanks Jill for your blog. We have loved reading it. We are on QM2 next year and are on deck 5 in 5103. Glad you said deck 5 was in a good position. Did you find the sheltered balcony OK.

Cheers, Janet.

Thanks also from us Jill have enjoyed travelling along with you, we are looking at the easy way home from Edinburgh next Jan have considered the Aurora but we aren't overly impressed with the P&O UK product...... so might have a closer look at what the Cunard Queens are doing... :)

Today there are 2 international cruise ships in Fremantle...... the massive QM2 which all but fills the webcam screen and behind her totally obliterated from view is the not so little yet no so large Arcadia.......

I'm going on the Maharajas' Express in just over two weeks time. If the pictures are accurate it has the biggest bathrooms I've ever seen on a train. :)

Have a wonderful trip. I would love to hear what you think of the Express. We have looked at it at different times but somehow have never managed to go. The other train trip DH wants to do is a trans Siberian though it ain't cheap!

Now that trip looks amazing and it seems expensive, not that that would stop me. Will we get to hear more about your trip :)

I have just add a more detailed look at The Heritage of India journey and it includes mostly everything and the excursions sound wonderful. Darn I will have to put it on my list... We are not stopping in India on next years half world cruise so this maybe by.. Someone was telling us to go there separately.... Not sure my husband will see it that way :) Thank you I think.....

Whoops off track a bit, sorry...

Edited by jcruizer