What's the one cool thing you would recommend to a new HAL cruiser?

POA1

Based on my sole cruise on Holland America, here is the one cool thing I'd recommend to a first-time cruiser:

* During the day, check out the Crow's Nest. It's the best place for viewing scenery.

And here are a few more cool things:

- The Dive in has excellent burgers (including chicken and veggie)

- The Taco Bar (next to the Dive in) is terrific.

- The Showtime at Sea is great but get there early to get a good seat

- Try out all of the lounge entertainers.

- Eat in the main dining room at least a couple of times - it's very elegant.

- The indoor pool area is a good place to eat if the Lido buffet is crowded.

- For relaxation the Exploration Cafe can't be beat.

- See a movie in the theater (Culinary Arts Section) and get free popcorn

- Get great deals in the shops on the last couple of days of your cruise.

And even more cool things that I didn't do but I will do on my next HAL cruise:

- Take cooking and wine tasting classes

- Go to the 3pm tea

- Attend a session at the Digital Workshop

Edited by cruisernewbieman

It isn't formal at all, but of course swimming togs are not the dress of the day, just casual wear.

The tea consists of table service in the MDR with linens, etc. The crew brings around nice little tea sandwiches, desserts that include mini tarts, profiteroles, eclairs, etc. It is quite nice, you arrive and fill in at the next available table.

I did feel a bit rushed when not arriving at the appointed time, I think the crew is hoping for a rest before dinner time. Ryndam, last Fall TA ) IMHO

THE Indonesian tea is spectacular with a posh centerpiece and if I remember correctly, you take your goodies off the centerpiece table which is just inside the MDR ENTRANCE. It is exotic and represents a major effort by the chefs and the dining staff. The only thing I noticed first time around is that it is ill timed for the passengers who have early dining, and on my two HAL crossings the tea started before the main trivia session was over ( why I would be late). I guess the Cruise Director doesn't think that the sharks at Trivia care about a relaxing tea time.

SusanM

it's all the little things added up that make HAL so special -

the varied ambiance of the Crow's Nest (a lot of ships have no inside forward viewing area)

it is relaxing during the day to read or watch the sea

it is elegant for before dinner cocktails while watching the sea

it is wonderful for music and late drinks while watching the sea

the history of the sea as viewed from the art tour - you can get a printed copy and take your tour or use the audio tour given out in the library area

the fresh flowers everywhere - large displays in public areas, flowers on every table - MDR, Lido, pool deck, bars, room service tray - public restrooms with fresh flowers and cloth towels

the helpful crew who pamper you - from room cleaning, MDR waiters, bar stewards who make an effort to learn your name and your drink, cooks in the Lido who make your special requests - I could go on and on

bathtubs in OV and above - don't see this on a lot of lines

the understated elegance and ambiance just all add up to something special, and in spite of some cutbacks, it is still there

we have only had one cruise that didn't quite meet all of our expectations - so that's a pretty good batting average - all the rest were wonderful vacations, seeing lots of new places and meeting lots of nice folks

:):):)

Amen Sista!!!!!!

...oh yes, and don't forget the beautiful orchids in the diningroom area at the buffet and in the washrooms.

Yes, I love the gorgeous flower arrangements here and there. Real.

The beautiful and COMFY beds especially. The cabin seems to be larger than other cruiselines we've been on.

The crew and staff are so friendly and accommodating. Always working hard and keeping the ship clean.

I have a secret hidden nook I bring a hot chocolate or tea to after the evening show and I watch the waves go by. It's cool to sit so close to the water and have nobody realize you're there. I've heard some interesting conversations and even some passage of wind (human, if you know what I mean). lol I'm not revealing it, but maybe one day you'll happen upon it. If so, hide a note for me somewhere, like a geocache. haha

We will be on the Eurodam Nov 30 2014 and will HUNT for that special space AND I will leave a little note for you OR anyone else that stumbles upon it!!!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif