What's the one cool thing you would recommend to a new HAL cruiser?

POA1

Just looking for ideas... If you could recommend one thing to someone who is cruising Holland America for the first time - something unique to HAL - what would it be?

I'm thinking about something like the bread pudding, for example.

This is for a Caribbean cruise on the Noordam. Thanks in advance!

Just looking for ideas... If you could recommend one thing to someone who is cruising Holland America for the first time - something unique to HAL - what would it be?

I want to know too. We're doing our first HAL cruise next March.

I just did this, my best friend took her first cruise a few months ago. She's an avid walker, so of course I told her about the wrap-around teak decks unique to HAL. She loved it!

The crew on board. Spend time getting to know the crew- it is a remarkable group of people.

A nap in a chair at the front of the Crows Nest on a sea day.

Spend some time looking at the on board art- it's amazing.

Stretch out on a teak lounger on the Promenade Deck- it is like stepping back in time.

Edited by frankc98376

Room service breakfast are wonderful. Be sure to indicate everything you want and feel free to write in other items not on the room service menu as they may be available if you order during main dining room breakfast hours.

The crew on board. Spend time getting to know the crew- it is a remarkable group of people.

Bingo! Main reason we have not tried other lines is the crew. A few well placed one dollar tips in the beginning doesn't hurt. Controversial? Yes, but effective.

When it comes down to the nitty gritty. A great cruise usually equals a lot of pre planning, research and knowledge gained from being a member here on Cruise Critic.

When you read cruise reviews so many complaints are related to being naive to cruise policy's or recent changes.

Edited by aliaschief

Not cool, hot. Buy a spa pass and spend 30 minutes (or more or less, depending on your personal desires) in the hydro therapy pool and then go on the heated ceramic loungers.

Heaven!

In where the ceramic loungers are, there is a eucalyptus scented steam room and a citrus scented steam room and the one that everyone thinks is broken, is a cold room. One of the staff told me it was intended as a quiet meditation space. So I guess that would be the cool thing.

Go by the movie theater at movie time for the popcorn. (You don't have to stick around for the movie.)

On the ships I've been on, there's been a large electronic map with the location and course of the ship displayed, I think it's cool to look at as the cruise progresses. (I think it's on every ship but not positive.)

My favorites/tips:

Fruit soft-serve ice cream in a waffle cone.

The cookies at the ice cream station in the Lido.

If you don't like any of the options at dinner, the waiters will create a plate for you from just the side dishes if you ask.

Hot cocoa in the Explorations Cafe (for a charge).

Specify Chocolate Croissants on the room service breakfast menu.

Bran muffins in the Lido for breakfast.

Schnitzel day in the Lido.

Ask for sweet potato fries at the Terrace Grill.

it's all the little things added up that make HAL so special -

the varied ambiance of the Crow's Nest (a lot of ships have no inside forward viewing area)

it is relaxing during the day to read or watch the sea

it is elegant for before dinner cocktails while watching the sea

it is wonderful for music and late drinks while watching the sea

the history of the sea as viewed from the art tour - you can get a printed copy and take your tour or use the audio tour given out in the library area

the fresh flowers everywhere - large displays in public areas, flowers on every table - MDR, Lido, pool deck, bars, room service tray - public restrooms with fresh flowers and cloth towels

the helpful crew who pamper you - from room cleaning, MDR waiters, bar stewards who make an effort to learn your name and your drink, cooks in the Lido who make your special requests - I could go on and on

bathtubs in OV and above - don't see this on a lot of lines

the understated elegance and ambiance just all add up to something special, and in spite of some cutbacks, it is still there

we have only had one cruise that didn't quite meet all of our expectations - so that's a pretty good batting average - all the rest were wonderful vacations, seeing lots of new places and meeting lots of nice folks

:):):)

Thank you all. This is really helpful. We are cruising with some HAL newbies and wanted to make sure that we pointed out some of the things that make Holland America special. We had a list started, but thanks to your suggestions, it's much larger now. :)

Keep 'em coming!

Be out on deck when the ship arrives at a port.

The Happy Hour from 4 - 5 is nice -- buy one drink and your second one is a $1.

But better yet -- Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest serve appetizers with cocktails from 5 - 6 and 7 - 8. Now these times may have changed as the ships are now changing the fixed dining times. Ask in the lounges.

The library -- go on the first day and check out the New York Times best sellers that you've wanted to read but haven't -- great for sea days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And don't forget to get that mocha at Explorations Cafe - and a lounger so you can look out at the sea.

DSC01420_zps9daf69c0.jpg

When we were on the Noordam we especially enjoyed getting up early and watching the sun rise from the Lido.

Then we waited for the Waffle station to open- excellent waffles!

Love the Library- one of the nicest we have seen on a ship.

Have fun-the Noordam is great-in our opinion.

You picked a great ship for your first HAL cruise! The Westerdam is the happiest ship. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. :)

Thanks mollyanne, I am sure we will enjoy the Westerdam and HAL. We have wanted to try HAL for a long time and so glad we will in just 7 days. :)

Not specific to HAL, but for a new cruiser -- take your morning beverage of choice to the aft deck, early in the morning before most cruisers are up and about, gaze at the wake and the horizon, and for a few minutes, just BE. (As in "I'd rather be a human BEing than a human DOing")

And don't forget to get that mocha at Explorations Cafe - and a lounger so you can look out at the sea.

DSC01420_zps9daf69c0.jpg

This photo reminds me of my embarassing moment on our first HAL cruise... I sat just like that feet up lovely and relaxed. It had been a heavy night with our new found friends the night before ...way too many 'wang wang's' ...I fell asleep and next thing I knew I woke up having crashed to the floor when somehow falling out the chair. A guy in the next chair was laughing and then he said "well at least that stopped your snoring" :o