What's the one cool thing you would recommend to a new HAL cruiser?

POA1

Oh! I almost forgot, and I don't think it's been said! The TACO BAR!!! In the afternoons near the Lido pool, they set up an awesome taco bar. You can make nachos, tacos, burritos, etc. with all sorts of toppings. Yum!

The Taco Bar on the Vista-Class ships is open for lunch BUT it is our experience that the melted cheese for nachos appears at 2:00 PM. A platter of nachos on a sea day helps tide you over for a late dinner in the MDR.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the great tips...really enjoying this thread!!

We are cruising on the NA in May, first time on HAL.

We are wanting to know the best location for a group to meet up for sailaway out of Venice...preferably close to a bar, lol!!:p

I thought the aft Lido deck might be OK???

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Amanda

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the great tips...really enjoying this thread!!

We are wanting to know the best location for a group to meet up for sailaway out of Venice...preferably close to a bar, lol!!:p

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Amanda

Lido deck aft or if weather isn't great the Crows Nest- just like being on The Bridge

The aft Lido Deck would work, and is my favorite spot for most sail-aways. But I have to tell you, for Venice, a forward-facing view is better. It's a thrill to sail down the canal, with the city right there, and head out.

I would suggest the Crow's Nest if you want to be inside, and right at a bar. Better still, I would suggest getting a drink, then heading outside to one of the open forward-facing decks. There are several to choose from, including some deck space immediately over the Crow's Nest.

Hi Amanda! (I should post this in Roll Call)

BEST sailaway spot, sailing out of Venice, is the Crow's Nest. Amazing view of St Marks on the way out.

Although this may have changed, weren't there some changes as to where cruise ships are routed/docked in Venice?

T

I would suggest the Crow's Nest if you want to be inside, and right at a bar. Better still, I would suggest getting a drink, then heading outside to one of the open forward-facing decks. There are several to choose from, including some deck space immediately over the Crow's Nest.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ruth - I would prefer an outside location I think and like your idea of a forward facing location, thanks, great tip!

On the deck plan, it looks like there is a deck area with tables right outside the crows nest and around the Explorations Cafe at the front of the ship on Deck 11; is this where you meant??. Can you get to this area easily enough, ie just take the forward lift to deck 11? Is there a door that takes you inside to the Crows Nest where you can buy drinks?

If you can suggest a forward deck location, that would be great! We want somewhere near a landmark/bar etc so it is easy to tell people where to meet!:p

Thanks again for all your help!:)

Cheers

Amanda

On the deck plan, it looks like there is a deck area with tables right outside the crows nest and around the Explorations Cafe at the front of the ship on Deck 11; is this where you meant??. Can you get to this area easily enough, ie just take the forward lift to deck 11? Is there a door that takes you inside to the Crows Nest where you can buy drinks?

If you can suggest a forward deck location, that would be great! We want somewhere near a landmark/bar etc so it is easy to tell people where to meet!:p

Amanda, I'm not the best one to ask this question, as the Nieuw Amsterdam is one of two HAL ships that I haven't sailed. I can't be positive that things are the same as on the E-dam (same class of ship), or the Vista ships (almost identical).

I do know that if you come up the staircase/elevator to the Observation Deck (deck 11), then there is an exit to the outdoors; that's where the Cabana Club is, and it is a private area.

If this ship is like her sister, and the Vista ships, there should be a public staircase outdoors that will take you to the roof of the Crow's Nest. That's the place I was referring to as giving a great view for a Venice Sailaway.

That's where I went when I sailed from Venice on the Westerdam.

An alternative is the forward area in front of the gym on Lido Deck. That should be an open deck, facing forward, accessible for sailaway, too.

There are other open forward decks, but they usually aren't open. Sometimes they are opened for scenic cruising, which sailing out of Venice is. They weren't on my cruise, though, which is why I went over the Crow's Nest.

I know you'll find a great spot. This is a spectacular ride. Have fun.

• 2 months later...
A Wang Wang is an cocktail made with many different alcohols. IT is the Filipono equivalent to a Long Island Iced Tea. Very good and very powerful.

Copper 10-8 (who is 10-8 on the Noordam as I type this) posted the recipe a while ago.

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

As someone stated, it's pretty much a Long Island Iced Tea sans Cola.

Copper 10-8 (who is 10-8 on the Noordam as I type this) posted the recipe a while ago.

what - no amaretto?

I'll have to pass on it then....or pass out with it!!

I really like the Lido buffet on HAL ships. For dinner they cook the same food as in the MDR the same night, but it's more relaxing and quicker than MDR if you're tired from excursions etc. I like that especially during dinner almost every dish, but also during breakfast and lunch some dishes, are made to order. Waiting for the preparation is worth it. There's usually both a menu and a plated dish on view, so you get an idea what the food will be like, for the made to order options.

It was like this on Zuiderdam to Alaska 2011. I really hope this hasn't changed, since I look forward to this for our Med cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in July :D

For comparison - on Celebrity the dinners in the Lido seemed to be the same dishes every night, which got boring. The food was served ready and heated, not made to order.

Princess had interesting themed dinners in the Lido every night, which was good for variety. But again the food was served ready and heated, not made to order. During breakfast there was even ready made soggy omelets and already toasted heated bagels...

I really like the Lido buffet on HAL ships. For dinner they cook the same food as in the MDR the same night, but it's more relaxing and quicker than MDR if you're tired from excursions etc. I like that especially during dinner almost every dish, but also during breakfast and lunch some dishes, are made to order. Waiting for the preparation is worth it. There's usually both a menu and a plated dish on view, so you get an idea what the food will be like, for the made to order options.

It was like this on Zuiderdam to Alaska 2011. I really hope this hasn't changed, since I look forward to this for our Med cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam in July :D

For comparison - on Celebrity the dinners in the Lido seemed to be the same dishes every night, which got boring. The food was served ready and heated, not made to order.

Princess had interesting themed dinners in the Lido every night, which was good for variety. But again the food was served ready and heated, not made to order. During breakfast there was even ready made soggy omelets and already toasted heated bagels...

I agree! I liked that we (while being in the late seating dinner) were able to get a preview of what kinds of things would be awaiting us in the dining room prior to ordering! It gave us a better idea of what we'd be getting instead of just guessing what would show up on our plates! :D

Thank you for that. I have now googled Long Island Iced Tea (which I have never seen over here - we don't even drink iced tea over here).

I recommend you attending as many Afternoon Teas as you can, especially the themed ones. Try all the themed ones plus a regular one. They're all different!

Totally agree, the Afternoon Teas are wonderful, especially the Indonesian Tea and the Dutch Tea.:D

We are leaving for our first HAL cruise on Friday. We have done two other Med cruises and another RCCL Caribbean cruise. Celebrating our 40th anniversary. Thanks for all the great info and we are looking forward to our cruise.

Have a great time!

My wife and I are thinking about trying HAL, but haven't decided when just yet. We have cruised on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess so far. I think we are ready to try something a little more elegant, sedate, dignified, and laid back. It sounds like HAL is all that and more.

Thanks for this wonderful thread. Happy cruising everyone! It's a wonderful way to explore the world!!