Senior citizens - Priority boarding?

mnsweeps

I have 2 seniors in my party...Do we get priority boarding?

"Priority boarding" is the term used for the special boarding of suite guests, FTTF guests, and platinum VIFP guests.

Any passenger that require assistance boarding, such as wheelchair, are well taken care of by Carnival staff, and are often taken to the front of the line to board more quickly, usually so the wheelchair and staff can return to help the next passenger. So yes, seniors in your party will be get assistance with boarding. You might call Carnival in advance and make sure any other needs for the cruise are noted on your booking.

depends...some seniors are in excellent shape and do not require special assistance. In that case no. If they have health issues that require wheelchairs, etc, yes but arrange it in advance. Honestly though if they can't get around well are you sure you want to choose Carnival instead of HAL? CCL is the "fun" ships and as such aimed at a younger, louder, more aactive crowd.

Boarding the ship is NOT like boarding an airplane....it's more along the lines of checking into a hotel! So, you get in line (if there is a line) and go to the next available check in clerk. Not a huge deal or a long wait!

We've had a long line & long wait on a couple of our cruises because the ship was late getting in to port (or something) and they were not ready to board us. Therefore, it's not always a short line & easy peasy embarkation.

If they have problems waiting in a long line, then try to book FTTF which is priority boarding after Wedding parties & +Platinum & Diamond.

Agreed, 2 cruises ago we had a wheelchair bound senior family member. No head of line privilage, but carnival did help the aboard when it was our turn. Priority boarding is for people who buy it, or have earned the status with carnival.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

As someone said, on some sailings and cruise lines senior citizens can be the majority of passengers (when we sailed on Holland America last summer, the seniors probably outnumbered the younger passengers).

If your 2 seniors are mobility impaired, regardless of age, you can request assistance once you arrive at the cruise terminal.

No. Priority boarding goes: wedding parties first, then diamond/platinum, then FTTF. Depending on port, wheelchairs go next. If a senior citizen happens to be in one of those groups, then they get priority, but senior citizen status in itself isn't afforded priority embarkation.

Not exactly but if you feel there could be an issue with the standing around and waiting then you can:

A) Contact Carnival special needs department for wheelchair assistance

or

B) Don't arrive to the pier until about 2 hours before departure. All the crowds will be on the ship by then and you'll be able to just walk on.

CCL is the "fun" ships and as such aimed at a younger, louder, more aactive crowd.

Wife and I are 65 and we choose Carnival because they are the "Fun Ships". I've seen 80 year olds out there dancing the night away and having a ball. I would classify Carnival as just geared toward people having fun no matter what their age is.

Wife and I are 65 and we choose Carnival because they are the "Fun Ships". I've seen 80 year olds out there dancing the night away and having a ball. I would classify Carnival as just geared toward people having fun no matter what their age is.

We took my grandma on Carnival at 80. She would have hated HAL. Her favorite part was the dining room dances!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what the question was about, it's too vague. A senior according to AARP is 55. Are the seniors in question just up in age, do they need assistance of a w/c, or just think a senior gets priority boarding? (and hoping to board early with them). If they need assist, well, that's another story. Maybe the OP will come back and fill us in.

It would not be fair to the other guests if Carnival allowed everyone over the age of 55 to board after the FTTF--weddings, Platiunum/Diamond, and then FTTF in that order--when many senior citizens are in good health and have good to excellent mobility. Anyone who needs assistance because they can't stand long, walk far, or are wheelchair bound can board after the FTTF's, but please, a healthy 65 year old can wait his or her turn like everyone else. Next we're going to see families with young children wanting to board with the first group because they have children.

One problem Carnival has is the other ports--three I have seen this at Galveston, Long Beach, and New Orleans--is they don't follow the rules very well and once the weddings go, it's a free for all for boards next. In New Orleans last September a whole family group of 15 boarded with ONE wheelchair bound passenger, none had FTTF, Carnival just let them all go. No, the spouse and wheelchair bound spouse can board, not their whole family. new Orleans also let Plat/Dia and mobility issue people all go on at the same time, No, Plat/Dia first please......there weren't many of us that were Platinum or Diamond.....Galveston and Long Beach were a little more organized--they made us line up or go in a group and wait in a group. Long Beach was where the chaos started when the doors opened and the Plat/Diamonds were not the first to be allowed on, all the lines moved inside at the same time....boarding was delayed that cruise......

I am not against those that are older, but please don't use the "I'm a senior" as a way to get on earlier, IF you are in good health and have no mobility issues....We all have aches and pains, but most of us just grin and bear it and be good little lemmings and board when our group number is called....yes, mine happens to be #1, Platinum and I earned it the hard way, one seven day cruise at a time......

Very well said and very true. :D

IMHO only if you are a disabled senior (one who has severe mobility problems or a bad heart say (w/paper work to back it up), then I say yes you should be able to board earlier than others but only with ONE member from your cruising group...not a whole bunch of them.

Edited by mousey

We are 2 seniors and I'd be insulted if they asked me is I wanted to go to the front of the line because they thought I was old.:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

I'm ancient (people are always asking me if I knew Noah :D) and, although, I'm PLATINUM and enjoy priority boarding, I wouldn't want to be singled out for my age either. I do like McDonald's 75 cent senior coffee with free refills, however. And it's kind of nice that Carl's Jr. and Taco Bell take off 10% :rolleyes:

Edited by glrounds

I'm ancient (people are always asking me if I knew Noah :D) and, although, I'm PLATINUM and enjoy priority boarding, I wouldn't want to be singled out for my age either. I do like McDonald's 75 cent senior coffee with free refills, however. And it's kind of nice that Carl's Jr. and Taco Bell take off 10% :rolleyes:

Good to know!:D

No, you do not get any special boarding priority for being a senior citizen.

Near my home we do have a cemetery that puts you in line based on age though! They advertise no waiting for those who are in a hurry!:D