Newbie Oasis questions

dcarjn

Hello! It's been many years since we've been on a cruise and we are very excited to have booked the Oasis Western Caribbean for May. I have a few questions.

1- I booked a port side balcony cabin but now I'm hearing starboard may give better views of the ports? What do you see on each side (when leaving FLL and at each port)?

2 - We are just Gold on the C&A, does it really mean anything other than getting coupons? Based on reading this board for the last few weeks it seems like almost everyone sailing is part of the C&A. It made me curious what percentage of people who cruise are on the program vs not.

3 - A friend of mine cruises every year based on ports, not cruise line or ship. She just got off Oasis and though she had a fabulous time, one complaint was that she couldn't get any free food after 9:00. She said the soft serve ice cream closed at 5:00 and if you wanted anything to eat or some desert after a show or whatnot, you had to go to a paying place. I'm not too concerned about it since the only dining option available when we booked was 8:30, so I don't think we'll be hungry again before bed, but it did make me curious if that was true or if she missed something.

4 - We need a hotel in FLL pre cruise and I just found out that a friend's son can get us a discount on any of the Hilton properties. Originally I was looking for a cheap but nice place, but now I'm expanding my horizons. Which hotel would be your pick between Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, or Hampton? Keeping in mind it's based on availability so I need to give him several to choose from. I would love to be close to the beach, be able to see the ships, and be close to food and shopping. I realize I may not get all those options, just looking at a "perfect world".

Dang, I know I had another question but now I spaced it. We are just so grateful to be able to be able to go on this trip! Finances are tight, but it's for our 20 year anniversary, so we had to do something amazing! I dream of being able to go often like many of you and to some day be able to climb the C&A ladder. Thanks so much for all your help! Not only with these questions, but with the many others answered just by browsing the boards!!!!

We have cruised both Oasis and Allure out if Fort Lauderdale. We chose cabins on the starboard side as this side (usually, but not always) docks with the starboard side facing the ports. We enjoyed watching as the ship docked and got tied up. When we docked in Falmouth, our son was tired. We sat on the balcony and people watched with a cocktail in hand.

Both times, we stayed in Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina Hotel. Ask for a room in the tower as they are of a much higher standard. We emailed and asked for a room overlooking the port. We watched the ships come into port around 4am from our balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For hotels check Hilton web site. You can see which ones would be best for you. We love Embassy Suites on 17th Street. They have a managers reception at night. Also a cooked to order breakfast in the morning. Just a short ride to the port. We are staying there in Mar.

Edited by macrc

Hello! It's been many years since we've been on a cruise and we are very excited to have booked the Oasis Western Caribbean for May. I have a few questions.

1- I booked a port side balcony cabin but now I'm hearing starboard may give better views of the ports? What do you see on each side (when leaving FLL and at each port)?

The best view leaving Port Everglades is on the port side.

2 - We are just Gold on the C&A, does it really mean anything other than getting coupons? Based on reading this board for the last few weeks it seems like almost everyone sailing is part of the C&A. It made me curious what percentage of people who cruise are on the program vs not.

The Oasis attracts a higher percentage of new cruisers than any other RC ship. You see many C&A members on this Cruise Critic board because avid cruisers are the ones who find and post on this site.

3 - A friend of mine cruises every year based on ports, not cruise line or ship. She just got off Oasis and though she had a fabulous time, one complaint was that she couldn't get any free food after 9:00. She said the soft serve ice cream closed at 5:00 and if you wanted anything to eat or some desert after a show or whatnot, you had to go to a paying place. I'm not too concerned about it since the only dining option available when we booked was 8:30, so I don't think we'll be hungry again before bed, but it did make me curious if that was true or if she missed something.

Room service is free until midnight. (and again after 5 a.m.) Sorrento's is open until 1, 2 or 3 a.m. (can't remember specifically about the Oasis). Café Promenade is, for all intents and purposes, open 24 hours a day. (closes for about an hour pre-dawn for cleaning)

4 - We need a hotel in FLL pre cruise and I just found out that a friend's son can get us a discount on any of the Hilton properties. Originally I was looking for a cheap but nice place, but now I'm expanding my horizons. Which hotel would be your pick between Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, or Hampton? Keeping in mind it's based on availability so I need to give him several to choose from. I would love to be close to the beach, be able to see the ships, and be close to food and shopping. I realize I may not get all those options, just looking at a "perfect world".

I always stay in a Hilton property because I use "points" to stay for free. One thing that I always check is free shuttles. Embassy Suites does not have a free shuttle. By this, I mean airport shuttle. Getting a free shuttle to the port is not something that I have seen. But if you pick a property close to the port, the transportation costs to the port are lower. I have been quite happy with the Hilton Garden Inn (stayed there a couple of weeks ago), satisfied with the Hampton Inn (stayed there a few times), and happy with the Hilton near the airport.

Dang, I know I had another question but now I spaced it. We are just so grateful to be able to be able to go on this trip! Finances are tight, but it's for our 20 year anniversary, so we had to do something amazing! I dream of being able to go often like many of you and to some day be able to climb the C&A ladder. Thanks so much for all your help! Not only with these questions, but with the many others answered just by browsing the boards!!!!

Congratulations on your landmark anniversary. Have a great cruise. :)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Thank you! So I guess I need to decide if I want a better view of the ports or leaving Port Everglades.

Yeah, I didn't think the food part sounded right, especially since I hadn't heard a word about it among other food complaints on the ship. We aren't very high maintenance so we'll be hapoy with whatever, but its a shame that is her impression of the ship.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You can never know which side will face the dock in any given port...they do switch it up. Port simply means "left"....doesn't mean it faces ports!!!!

In truth, the best views are from an open, upper deck. You will most likely be out and about...not on your balcony all the time!

Our extended family was on the Oasis for NYE holidays a couple of years ago. Everyone had an amazing time. I would not hesitate to return....and I have recently been on the Royal Princess and just previously to the Oasis, the Celebrity Equinox. Hands down, our favourite is RCCL. SO to add another quick question to the mix, when does the Oasis go in to drydock and when does she return. We loved our cruise so much that we would like to vacation again either on the Oasis or the Allure. Happy and safe travels, everyone!

Pam

We watched the sail away from the secret balcony at the back of deck 12. There is one at the end of each corridor (at the back) on decks 11, 12 and 14. Usually very quiet. Another good option would be to walk along the port side corridor on deck 14 to the very front. There is a door out to a large outdoor area which sits directly above the bridge. There is a sail away party at the aqua theatre with music and dreamworks characters. You could always head there. When at the aqua theatre there are stairs that will lead you up to an open deck area both port and starboard. Head up to the port side and you will get a great view as you leave port but also get to hear the sail away party music.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check my three-post photo review of cabin 10688 (Starboard), currently on the last page of the Cabin Iinformation Compilation thread. IMO, starboard does give a better view of the ports on the Western Caribbean run. Our kids were in a cabin on the port side and I don't think their views were as good.

Edited by TequilaToo

Regarding port or starboard...

1) When leaving Ft. Lauderdale, I also suggest going to one of the "secret" balconies (14 forward, 11, 12, 14 aft), and go to the port side. At that point of the cruise, the forward balcony isn't crowded because not many have found it yet.

2) We had a starboard balcony for our W. Caribbean cruise on Oasis last year. I also enjoyed watching the docking activity at each port. However, there's no guarantee starboard will always be the "docking" side.

Regarding port or starboard...

2) We had a starboard balcony for our W. Caribbean cruise on Oasis last year. I also enjoyed watching the docking activity at each port. However, there's no guarantee starboard will always be the "docking" side.

Is that because the same ship may sometimes "back in", sometimes "nose in" at the same port?

Edited by TequilaToo

Is that because the same ship may sometimes "back in", sometimes "nose in" at the same port?

Correct. Oasis and Allure have to do periodic lifeboat drills, so while they will mostly dock on the starboard side, if they are due to exercise the starboard lifeboats, then they have to dock on the port side.

SO to add another quick question to the mix, when does the Oasis go in to drydock and when does she return. We loved our cruise so much that we would like to vacation again either on the Oasis or the Allure. Happy and safe travels, everyone!

Pam

Oasis of the Seas departs Port Everglades Sept 1 for her drydock in Rotterdam. She will do some European sailings before she gets to the shipyard. She makes her return 13 night voyage on Oct 14 originating in Rotterdam and arrives in Fort Lauderdale on Oct 27/14

She will do a 5 night sailing to Caribbean to get her back on her Saturday to Saturday schedule.

Oasis of the Seas departs Port Everglades Sept 1 for her drydock in Rotterdam. She will do some European sailings before she gets to the shipyard. She makes her return 13 night voyage on Oct 14 originating in Rotterdam and arrives in Fort Lauderdale on Oct 27/14

She will do a 5 night sailing to Caribbean to get her back on her Saturday to Saturday schedule.

Thank you, Emmy. We are undecided to return to the "new" Oasis for the holiday this year or try out her sister the ALLure.....

Great information. Looks like I'm going to change to the starboard side. Funny enough, that's where I was originally until my dad told me port side was better sailing out of Port Lauderdale. But I like the idea of going to one of the secret decks for sail away and enjoying the view of the ports from my own deck.

BTW, I know everyone says middle of the ship is best for cabins, but I "downgraded" to a D3 cabin from a D5 when the price dropped so I could save $700. So the only options are the way front or way back of the ship. Does it matter which end of the ship we are on? Right now I'm on deck 12. Is there a better deck than I should look into?

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Great information. Looks like I'm going to change to the starboard side. Funny enough, that's where I was originally until my dad told me port side was better sailing out of Port Lauderdale. But I like the idea of going to one of the secret decks for sail away and enjoying the view of the ports from my own deck.

BTW, I know everyone says middle of the ship is best for cabins, but I "downgraded" to a D3 cabin from a D5 when the price dropped so I could save $700. So the only options are the way front or way back of the ship. Does it matter which end of the ship we are on? Right now I'm on deck 12. Is there a better deck than I should look into?

Depends what you would rather be near. Forward is near the Solarium, Solarium Cafe, Fitness Center, Adventure Ocean, Entertainment Place. Aft is near Windjammer, Dining Room, Boardwalk, Sports Deck.

I'm pretty sure moving from a D5 to a D3 would be considered an "upgrade". :p

We were on deck 7 for our cruise and I really like it... one flight down was the Boardwalk, two flights down was the Promonade, one flight up was Central Park. So to get to any of those locations, no elevator was needed.

I always say the more walking I do the more I can eat!!! So if you are either forward or aft think of it as an exercise advantage!!

Caneguy

We were on Oasis in Sept.2013 for Eastern Cruise. Had a waterview balcony on Portside.

It had an awesome view at port in Ft. Lauderdale facing the water and watching the other ships leaving port.

In Nassau we were facing the Port. and it was fun to watch the authorities lining up on the dock.

Then in St. Martin and St. Thomas we were facing the water....which actually was kinda cool because they lowered all the life boats in St. Thomas and had them going for like a few hours. So it was fun to watch them lower and raise them out of the water.

Either way I think you will enjoy the cruise!!!!

We are doing the Allure on Easter Sunday this year and we went with a Starboard side this trip!

Depends what you would rather be near. Forward is near the Solarium, Solarium Cafe, Fitness Center, Adventure Ocean, Entertainment Place. Aft is near Windjammer, Dining Room, Boardwalk, Sports Deck.

That is a good answer.

We preferred towards the bow, or as we called it,the old fogies section, the Solarium.

The aft of the ship is pretty active, sports areas, surfrider, kids hangouts.

I'm pretty sure moving from a D5 to a D3 would be considered an "upgrade". :p

I thought so too since D1 was the best with them being on the hump, but then the travel agent said it was a downgrade. No wonder I was confused, lol. Even better!

I didn't think about what was on each end of the ship so thanks for pointing that out (I don't know how to quote more than one on my phone). I was thinking along the lines of movement of the ship. I still get flashbacks of my honeymoon cruise where we were so far forward and down that we could hear the anchor drop each morning and got really seasick with the up and down movement of the ship heading back to the home port. But that was 20 years ago and this is going to be a whole new and vastly different ship and experience.

I always say the more walking I do the more I can eat!!! So if you are either forward or aft think of it as an exercise advantage!!

Caneguy

So true! I'm actually running a marathon 2 weeks later so maybe I can consider the extra walking part of my training! Lol