Radiance sofabed - suitable for 2 adults?

aronde

Our family of 2 adults and 2 somewhat tall kids aged 10 and 11 are thinking of heading to Alaska next year on Radiance. We quite like the look of the 'hump' cabins on deck 9 but they only have a sofa bed in addition to the normal king size (ie no pullman). Not sure our kids can cope sleeping together so thinking we may have to split the king bed and my wife and I try the sofa bed!

So my questions are has anyone else done this? Is the sofa bed comfy and large enough for two adults? And does the sofa bed block access to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

Thanks!

The sofa in the room is not a normal sized sofa. I would consider it a love seat more than a sofa. My partner and I wouldn't not be able to sleep on it.

The bed will severely restrict access to the restroom when pulled out. You will likely not be able to walk past, but have to turn and scoot sideways.

We always book 2 cabins when traveling with the teens, I have found the savings for 3rd and 4th passenger are not so significant, its worth just getting a second cabin- plus the value of 2 bathrooms cant be overstated!! We like getting an inside and outside across the hall from each other- its nice to be able to open both doors across from eachother when getting ready for dinner, etc. Mine are teens, with younger kids, what about 2 adjoining cabins? then its like 1 big room....

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

You'll have a full size sofa bed in the D1 deck 9 hump cabin. Still not really that comfortable for 2 adults, better off putting the kids in it.

I would not want to sleep with DH in the sofa bed in a D1. It is a little larger than an average size double bed. If you are both on the small/thin side, and very, very fond of each other, it might work!!!:D;)

Well I normally start a cruise 'thin' and then something happens to ensure I end up slightly more 'cuddly' - so yes the sofa bed may be tricky for my wife and I.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will investigate two cabins or just stick with the sofa bed and Pullman option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would either get adjoining cabins or a room for 4 that the beds pull down from the ceiling! We usually do inside rooms and just in Sept. stayed with our 2 adult kids in our room to save $$ beds just pull down and we made do! Not a lot of room, but if your not in the room except to sleep, shower and get ready it is possible to do!

This is a pic of the sofa D1 on Liberty. If you are used to sleeping on a king size bed or even a queen it will be tight. This is more like a double. I had to share it one night with my son who is 6ft and 240. We were both fine, but we are also campers and used to small sleeping areas. He slept by the wall.

20131123_142037_zpsfd5ee8a3.jpg

I haven't sailed on it yet, but I have been told this is layout of a D1 balcony on Radiance, of which some sleep four. Have to look for diamond on deck/cabin diagram.

I do believe room we will be in has both a sofa and a pullman from ceiling, per this pic. Unfortunately, photobucket not working for me right now or I would post larger pic of deck diagram too, but cabins marked with diamond are suppose to have sofa and pullman..

image.jpg.046670b295a79b188288ff1df2d3f24d.jpg

Edited by JosieRhodes

I would definitely check out the cost of 2 cabins. The discount on the 3rd and 4th person is not much, and you might find 2 E cabins cheaper than a D with 4 in it. Even an inside across the hall would be worth a look?

Yes looking into this now!

One thing does anyone know if sea pass cards can be authorised to open both cabins if booked together?