Lunch in Main Dining Room Embarkation Day

LovetheSea

I don't know why so many people eat in the buffet on embarkation day? Every Princess sailing I have been on, when you get on the ship, they tell you lunch is being served in the buffet. But fail to tell you it is also being served in one of the main dining rooms as well. They post it on the Princess website that it is available. Our best lunches ever have been on embarkation day in the dining room. If you prefer the buffet, great. I just want to let the people who don't know that it is available.

Also the rest of the cruise we never seem to take the time to eat lunch in the dining room because we are busy and don't want to take the time.

• Like 1

I don't know why so many people eat in the buffet on embarkation day? Every Princess sailing I have been on, when you get on the ship, they tell you lunch is being served in the buffet. But fail to tell you it is also being served in one of the main dining rooms as well. They post it on the Princess website that it is available. Our best lunches ever have been on embarkation day in the dining room. If you prefer the buffet, great. I just want to let the people who don't know that it is available.

Also the rest of the cruise we never seem to take the time to eat lunch in the dining room because we are busy and don't want to take the time.

The other factor is the limited hours for the main dining room on embarkation day. We target eating there each cruise but usually arrive after 1:30 following travel, check-in, boarding, and finding our cabin. So we are left with the Horizon Court or Grill / Pizza on deck, or International Cafe venues.

Why the buffet and not the dining room? Certainly one factor is that a good percentage of passengers have not yet boarded at 1:30! We are usually among that number as we prefer to wait for the initial crowd to be cleared before heading to the port.

Unfortunately a couple of other issues with passenger awareness are frequently cited on this board:

1. People used to sailing other lines where the MDR is either closed or restricted to a certain level of past passenger loyalty status on embarkation day;

2. People who have chosen Anytime Dining for dinner and are of the belief that option prohibits them from going to the MDR for breakfast and lunch!

You are correct that it is posted on the Princess website as available--as well as in the Patter in your stateroom on embarkation. But many regulars here "in the know" have stated that the reason lunch remains in the MDR on embarkation day even though it is usually no longer available on port days--and the reason that crewmembers point embarking passengers directly to the Horizon Court--is that it is only supposed to be for back-to-back passengers. So on voyages with very few B2B bookings, is lunch in the MDR in danger of being cancelled?

Lunch on embarkation day has a short window. On the Royal Princess

We had lunch in Alfredo's on embarkation day. Pretty much had the

Who restaurant to ourselves. It made for a nice relaxing meal.

You beat me to it...was going to recommend the same thing. We had children in our party and thought Alfredo's was a better place to sit and have lunch, and so much more to look at in the Piazza..and it worked out great! People seem to take awhile to catch on to Alfredo's, thankfully!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Shhhh, let's keep this one to ourselves-lol. I know I'm on a cruise when my strip loin has been served.

3 yrs ago we were at the port @ 11 but they had a surprise inspection on Crown, we didnt get on the ship till 1:30. So no lunch for us in MDR. We'll be on the Ruby in April. I'm hoping to be able to enjoy a great quiet lunch to start off our cruise!

So do they get you in and out of the dining room pretty quick?

We are taking our first Princess cruise in April (girls getaway) and I think lunch on the first day sounds great. However, I also know we will be anxious to get our suits on and head to the pool and bar. So just cuirious how long we can expect to be in the dining room???

So do they get you in and out of the dining room pretty quick?

We are taking our first Princess cruise in April (girls getaway) and I think lunch on the first day sounds great. However, I also know we will be anxious to get our suits on and head to the pool and bar. So just cuirious how long we can expect to be in the dining room???

It's like any other time in the mdr. If you choose to sit with others it will take longer than if you ask for a table for just your party. Then it will depend on how many courses you order. We like to have a nice, leisurely lunch, and I've never paid much attention to how long it takes.

Were going on the Royal in March. I've noticed some people mentioned a short window of time for the lunch. Is there a set time for the lunch or does it vary by ship?

Thanks

We'll be on the Royal in April and was wondering the MDR hours for lunch on that day, too! Wasn't sure if it vary by ship.

But many regulars here "in the know" have stated that the reason lunch remains in the MDR on embarkation day even though it is usually no longer available on port days--and the reason that crewmembers point embarking passengers directly to the Horizon Court--is that it is only supposed to be for back-to-back passengers.

At check-in you are handed a folded map of the ship. On that map it says:

Before you sail

Is lunch being served onboard?

Shortly after we welcome you onboard, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's dining rooms. Check your Princess Patter for dining locations and times.

So, it is not a secret and it is not restricted to B2B passengers. Just need to be at the dining room before it is closed to new diners at 1:30 PM.

We'll be on the Royal in April and was wondering the MDR hours for lunch on that day, too! Wasn't sure if it vary by ship.

MDR will be open for lunch on the day of embarkation from noon to 1:30 PM. On the Royal Alfredo's on deck 6 will also be open. We went to Alfredo's for lunch that day and had a great lunch. Not many knew about it which was good for us. It was listed in the Patter.

When you board do you ask them to direct you to the dinning room for lunch? I remembered that they escored us to the elevators. This will be our second princess cruise so we would like to try the dinning room. Do they always stop serving lunch at 1:30?

Yes, they close at 1:30.

We usually stop at our cabin and drop off our carry-ons, and then we go to the dining room. On our Jan. 8th cruise embarkation was very late so we went directly to the dining room, but it was a hassle dragging the carry-ons. The waiters were kind enough to put them in a spot that wouldn't get in their way or in the way of other diners.

Edited by FritzG