Sun protection for fair skinned cruisers

Artemis908

I agree with the UV protection clothing. One source, though not cheap, is Coolibar.com It's as cute, if cute can be used here, as SPF clothing gets, but the idea is to protect your skin now and for years to come.

Another vote for Coolibar. I love their swim coats and I wear one most of the time on excursions and especially in the water. I am older blonde and I say I'm allergic to one of the ingredients of sun screen because it causes pain in my eyes. I am and always have been very careful of sun -- I hate to burn and I get heat stroke easily. Coolibar with a variety of pants, shorts, skirts, rash guards and hats that are both pretty and protective is the only solution that works all the time!! Also sad though it is -- just get out of the sun. I have two or three friends that have lost much of their nose or ears to skin cancer and that is truly frightening -- take all precautions necessary to avoid burning. Also remember that a tan is not a healthy look -- it says your skin is desperately trying to protect itself -- the largest organ of the body!

I did just buy one of the new Athleta SPF 50+ Pacifica shirts. It's going to be one of my "out everyday walking the dog" shirts.

If you are going to be going into the ocean, Med, Caribbean, consider getting a "reef safe" sunscreen to use for those days. Yes, they are yucky to put on, but they do help keep the pollution out of the water, thus helping to preserve the reefs. Sure, you are only going to be in the water for a little time, what harm would it do to use "regular" sunscreen? Well, multiply your time by the thousands who get off the boat, there on vacation, and it does make a difference!!!

Something else to consider...After contracting PLE (polymorphous light eruption) a few years ago I had allergy testing done and discovered I was allergic to some sunscreens ONLY when they came in contact with the sun :confused: . I cannot use any of the sunscreens with Parsol. Neutrogena sunscreen with zinc or titanium ingredients is the only type I tolerate.

Needless to say, I have an extensive collection of sun-protective clothing. Check out the Royal Robbins items at STP. Happily, after 10 years the PLE is getting better but I still wear protective clothing between 11am and 3pm when outside.

I just was at the dermatologist yesterday and she gave me a product called Tizo3. It's tinted sunscreen with zinc oxide in it. I believe the Tizo2 is untinted. WOW is all I can say! I live in South Florida and sweat is an issue. I have tried it the past two days and it stays put! I actually like the tint because it evens out my skin. I have Roscea. I ordered it on Amazon.com and was shocked that it wasn't as expensive as I would have thought. You need very little, it's non-greasy and goes on so smooth! It's what she wears and I am so glad she gave me some samples to try! I am hooked! Good luck!

Are any of these recommended sunscreens/block hypoallergenic ? I have extremely sensitive skin and have difficulty using anything. I was thinking Neutragina?

There are indeed Neutrogena products that are labelled hypoallergenic.

However hypoallergenic didn't mean no reaction from me.

Good news is that I'm not "allergic" to it, bad news is I don't tolerate it so well, either.

So if you can get a sample amount and test before buying a whole container, that might be worthwhile. Or if other family members are less sensitive, just give them any containers whose product doesn't agree with you!

Good luck, I am sure you will find something that works for you :)

Edited by babysteps

1. Be certain that your sunscreen is fresh. Old sunscreen doesn't work as well.

2. Apply a minimun of 2 tablespoons of sunscreen to cover your face and body. Most people don't use enough.

3. Apply 20 to 30 minutes prior to being in the sun.

4. Don't rub it in until it's dry to the touch. Spread it evenly. I always tell my wife, rub it ON.. Don't rub it IN.

5. If you use spray, which may be better, be certain that you are getting good coverage. Remember wind tends to blow it away and coverage may not be as good. It is best to spray the areas twice for better coverage.

6. Re-apply at least every 2 hours. More if you are in the water or very high humidity locations.

All of this comes from experience and the latest Consumer Reports.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

My cruise experience is in Alaska, where sun exposure isn't a big problem. But I have a long history of land-based beach vacations in which I burned on the first day every year. Then I stumbled upon so-called "modest swimwear." I found knee length dresses, tee shirts, and capri pants in swimwear fabrics. For me no sunscreen protected as well as physical coverage. I got a custom sewn tee and capris from AmyAnne, http://www.modestswimming.com, and had my first burn-free vacation in ages. (For clarity, my tee and capris also came with an overskirt, but I just don't wear that.) Each suit is made to order, so allow sufficient time. I loved swimming and playing at the beach without constantly worrying about sunscreen.

Vicki

I am very fair and used to have the same problem. I use a clear zinc oxide cream (45) on my face and a sunscreen by Badger for the rest of my body. The cream really helps as my nose and cheeks used to get incredibly burnt, it didn't matter what I had on them. This is what I use now...

http://www.drugstore.com/ocean-potion-suncare-face-potion-clear-zinc-oxide-spf-45/qxp187819?catid=184131

I got back from a 2 month trip in mid-May. I used my Neutragena SPF 100 or 110 the entire time. I did get some sun reaction on my neck and chest. I'm thinking that was a touch of hyper-sensitivity due to being out in strong sunlight after winter (the trip started in mid-March).

I came back with no tan, and no extra spots!! I wore a white large brimmed sun hat most of the time off the ship, and I think that helped a lot, too.

We were in the South Pacific coming up from Sydney for a large portion of the trip, and going back and forth from New Caledonia twice. Through Fiji, American Samoa, and the Hawaiian Islands. So, lots of tropical sun exposure.

I apply about 1/2 teaspoon to my face and ears. I dot lightly all over my face and ears, then go back to smooth it all in. This ensures that I'm getting it evenly distributed. When you start out on one part of your body first, it gets the most sunscreen, so I rub my fingers together, then dot my face and ears, then smooth.

I do the same thing on my neck, back and front, and chest: dot, dot, dot, then smooth.

Then, I do my arms (don't forget the underside of your arms), and then the tops of my feet and exposed portions of my legs. On my arms and legs I mix the sunscreen with body lotion. It helps to moisturize, and also spreads it better over the larger body parts.

Last, I go over my lips once more.

Enjoy the sun, ladies, but be safe!!