When is the Norwegian Epic scheduled to go in to dry dock?

UpTheBanner

I have been reading a lot of reviews lately stating that the Epic is starting to show age. Deck chairs are in terrible condition, carpets are worn, rocking problems etc.. A lot of negatives for the Epic in the last 12 months. I have two cruises booked on the Epic and hoping for positive experiences. When do you think the Epic will go in to dry dock?

The ship was brand new in the summer of 2010. It will be several years before she is dry docked.

If you go looking for issues on any ship you will find them. Relax and enjoy your trip. The Epic is a great ship

Edited by sdmike

We were also on the Epic last year and loved it! So much so that we're going back again next year. Everything was well maintained, crew was friendly, loved our balcony. No cruise is perfect, but we had a very enjoyable time on the Epic and can't wait to go back!

I just got off the Epic a few weeks ago. I'll agree that many of the lounge chairs are showing their age but I did notice that there seemed to be a 'repair' zone set up a few times during my 8 days onboard.

Carpets were in fine shape. I never noticed anything wrong with them.

Motion - well, I will say that I did notice more motion than my last cruise on her but many who were on my same sailing said they didn't notice it. It certainly wasn't the type of motion that had you pinballing down the hallways but it was noticeable to me. I wouldn't worry too much. It certainly hasn't caused me to cancel my 14 day TA on her in October:D:D

I still love this ship as much as I always have. Go and have a great cruise and don't worry too much about the few negative reports you've heard. She's a great ship with an even greater staff right now - they were stellar!

I have been reading a lot of reviews lately stating that the Epic is starting to show age. Deck chairs are in terrible condition, carpets are worn, rocking problems etc.. A lot of negatives for the Epic in the last 12 months. I have two cruises booked on the Epic and hoping for positive experiences. When do you think the Epic will go in to dry dock?

I stumbled across a great sale for January and I immediately jumped on the price, didn't think twice. THEN I read the reviews, of course after I had just paid in full. It scared the bejesus out of me! My DH said that this was it, if it was a bad cruise, we would never sail again......(talk about pressure). Anywho...It turned out to be the BEST cruise we ever have taken (out of about a dozen).

The ship is ugly on the outside, but absolutely gorgeous on the inside. Very clean and well maintained. Our steward was the most efficient we have ever had. The food, not a single complaint. The staff, so friendly and bending over backwards to give their guests a fantastic cruise. The entertainment was fabulous, you will swear that Chris who plays Steven Tyler really is Steven (Katy stunk though, but then again I can't stand the really Katy Perry to begin with).

My only complaint is the slow and at many times, over-crowed elevators, but heck that's my only complaint. After all the good food I ate, I needed the extra exercise by using the stairs anyway.

Don't let the reviews trouble you like I did. I was stressed and worried for no reason at all. You are going to have an awesome time. Oh wait, I did have one more complaint, that 7 days is not nearly enough time to do everything onboard......but you've got 2 cruises booked, so you're good to go. Relax and ENJOY:D

Most go in after 5 years. I reckon she'll go in at the end of the Summer 2015 season during the quieter period whilst in Europe.

Yep, they are required to dry dock once every five years from the time they are new until they fifteen years old. Then its two times during each successive five year period (works out to about 2.5 years in practice). Epic needs to go into dry-dock in the summer of 2015.

Yep, they are required to dry dock once every five years from the time they are new until they fifteen years old. Then its two times during each successive five year period (works out to about 2.5 years in practice). Epic needs to go into dry-dock in the summer of 2015.

If it needs to be drydocked in 2015, why are cruises available to book every single week from May 2015 through December 2015?

Will they just cancel a couple of cruises once they select a date or could they possibly delay into 2016?

If it needs to be drydocked in 2015, why are cruises available to book every single week from May 2015 through December 2015?

Will they just cancel a couple of cruises once they select a date or could they possibly delay into 2016?

Delaying into 2016 isn't an option. NCL will probably cancel one of the sailings a few months prior to the dry-docking.

According to who? Just did a quick search using the google key and could not find anything that says they are required to dry dock every 5 years. Unless there is some sort of official requirement for this it sounds like something somebody "heard" or saw on a message board someplace and took it as fact.

According to who? Just did a quick search using the google key and could not find anything that says they are required to dry dock every 5 years. Unless there is some sort of official requirement for this it sounds like something somebody "heard" or saw on a message board someplace and took it as fact.

Let me help you out...a very simple summary with the regulatory babble removed.

http://www.marineinsight.com/marine/dry-dock-types-of-dry-docks-requirements-for-dry-dock/

This two for every 5 year period applies to ships that are older than 15 years old. Before ships reach that cutoff, it's one for every 5 year period.

Edited by barnacle_boy

Let me help you out...a very simple summary with the regulatory babble removed.

http://www.marineinsight.com/marine/dry-dock-types-of-dry-docks-requirements-for-dry-dock/

This two for every 5 year period applies to ships that are older than 15 years old. Before ships reach that cutoff, it's one for every 5 year period.

Thank you, that is what I was asking for. Too many times folks just toss things out on here with nothing to back them up and it becomes "fact" after a while. :D

I am booked for August 26 2015 out of Citavecchia. So, could my cruise be cancelled?

I wouldn't count on it. Looks like her certificates expire 6/17/2015, so I'd expect a dry-dock sometime before that. Actually, you'll probably benefit from the dry-dock. A nice, newly refreshed ship for your August sailing :)

https://exchange-training.dnv.com/exchange/main.aspx?extool=vessel&subview=status&vesselid=27543

We are also just off the Epic. I had a hard time finding the issues others have mentioned. I did see a scratch in a piece of furniture. Big deal! That was about it.

The ship is in great shape and we are looking forward to our 3rd trip on her next year.

• 4 weeks later...

***NCL EPIC is scheduled for drydock End of Sept 2015-Beginning of October 2015.****

I was going to book NCL EPIC out of Rome 10/14/15 but that sailing disappeared overnight....called NCL and they confirmed it will be in dry dock September 20, 2015-October 18, 2015

Barnacle Boy is correct, in that the ship needs to be inspected out of the water every 5 years, but there is the requirement for an intermediate survey once in between drydockings. This is a survey done by divers that is video taped and also viewed real time by class surveyors to check for any problems under the water. While normally done with the ship in service (over several port calls), it can mean the ship is pulled from service for a day or two, and of course, any problems detected could result in an unexpected drydock.

Many folks here on CC interchange drydock with shipyard. Some cruise lines will take ships out of service for short periods for the intermediate service, and go to a shipyard for repairs/refurbishment without drydocking. This tends to be on ships 12+ years of age, if the wear and tear on the furnishings warrants a major refurbishment, or a change in décor.

• 1 year later...

NCL is notifying guests that they are extending the Norwegian Epic's dry dock by 1 day. This is after they extended the dry dock period by 7 days back in March. 1.5 months before the start of dry dock and they still don't have a finalized schedule.

"Norwegian Epic was scheduled for routine maintenance and upgrades that were to be completed by October 18, 2015. Norwegian Epic's dry dock has been extended by one day and, as a result, the 7-Night Iberian Peninsula sailing from Southampton that was scheduled to begin on October 18, 2015 will now change to a 6-Night Iberian Peninsula sailing from Southampton beginning on October 19, 2015. We sincerely apologize for this change and would like to thank you and your guests for your understanding."

June 2015 Norwegian Jewel

May 2015 Norwegian Sky

Apr 2015 Norwegian Getaway

Nov 2014 Norwegian Epic

Aug 2014 Norwegian Breakaway

Jun 2014 Norwegian Sky

Feb 2014 Norwegian Getaway

Oct 2013 Norwegian Breakaway

Mar 2013 Norwegian Star

Sep 2012 Norwegian Epic

Mar 2012 Norwegian Epic

Oct 2011 Norwegian Epic