Which Celebrity ships have covered pools that can be used in cold weather?

jkgourmet

That can be used by ALL passengers, not just Aqua and Suite passengers.

Some years ago, we took several cold weather cruises on the HAL Amersterdam. On that ship, one of the outdoor pool decks could be completely enclosed so that it could be used quite comfortably in cold or rainy weather. The water was a bit chilly, I admit, but the hot tubs were nearby and we spent several of our cold sea days happily by poolside.

A recent trip on the NCL Jade (which had only outside, unusable in cold weather pool areas) reminded us of how much we prefer an indoor type pool. We were able to use the hot tubs on the Jade, but getting out in the cold, open air was not a good experience. We've taken the Summit, but only remember it having some kind of Thaliotherapy (sic) area which was more like a really, really large hot tub than a pool.

We prefer the Celebrity product over HAL, but want the indoor pool area. Can we get it without upgrading to some expensive cabin that we don't want?

Edited by jkgourmet

Other than the Century, all Celebrity ships have a covered pool area. Century may have one too but I can't say for sure.

Go to the Celebrity site and look for the Solarium. On the Solstice it's on deck 12 just forward of the main pool area. On the Constellation it's on deck 10 also just forward of the main pool area.

The Solarium area is open to all passengers. What confuses some people is they have the AquaSpa cafe in the Solarium but that doesn't mean it's limited to AQ passengers only.

I know the Summit does. It is called the Thelassatherapy (sp?) pool.

It is on the same deck as the regular pools. It is very warm, just slightly less than the 2 hot tubs that are also in the room. It is in a solarium...very beautiful. Nice padded chairs and wooden slat comfy chairs. It is available to all room types, but is adult only. Google a picture of it. It has 4 'faucets', one at each corner, that spray down pretty hard to give a great shoulder massage.

On the two sides there are metal bar loungers that are submerged and spray little jets of warm water. This is sounding nothing like it really is...sorry about that. It is just the best way I can describe it. It is a large pool with spa like qualities within it.

Very peaceful and lovely.

I know the Summit does. It is called the Thelassatherapy (sp?) pool.

It is on the same deck as the regular pools. It is very warm, just slightly less than the 2 hot tubs that are also in the room. It is in a solarium...very beautiful. Nice padded chairs and wooden slat comfy chairs. It is available to all room types, but is adult only. Google a picture of it. It has 4 'faucets', one at each corner, that spray down pretty hard to give a great shoulder massage.

On the two sides there are metal bar loungers that are submerged and spray little jets of warm water. This is sounding nothing like it really is...sorry about that. It is just the best way I can describe it. It is a large pool with spa like qualities within it.

Very peaceful and lovely.

Yes, I saw that on the Summit. That was the room that I referred to - more like a huge hot tub than a pool. You can't swim in it and we found the room a bit stuffy. But it was GREAT that it was adults only.

The HAL ships (some of them) have a roof that can over the entire pool deck - like the retractable roofs at football stadiums. They can fully cover the pool, or they leave a small opening to remove the hot air, but keep the wind out. Basically, an outdoor pool and pool deck that can be enclosed with a roof and walls so it becomes an indoor pool. I guess that Celebrity doesn't have that. Oh well. Can't have everything (but it would push me towards HAL for an Alaska or winter weather cruise.)

Edited by jkgourmet

Yes, I saw that on the Summit. That was the room that I referred to - more like a huge hot tub than a pool. You can't swim in it and we found the room a bit stuffy. But it was GREAT that it was adults only.

The HAL ships (some of them) have a roof that can over the entire pool deck - like the retractable roofs at football stadiums. They can fully cover the pool, or they leave a small opening to remove the hot air, but keep the wind out. Basically, an outdoor pool and pool deck that can be enclosed with a roof and walls so it becomes an indoor pool. I guess that Celebrity doesn't have that. Oh well. Can't have everything (but it would push me towards HAL for an Alaska or winter weather cruise.)

All four M-class ships have this pool - Millennium, Infinity, Constellation and Summit. They are salt water pools (as are all pools on M-class), are warm, with those loungers along the sides with bubbling water to massage you, and a "waterfall" pipe at each corner where you can position yourself underneath for a different type of massage. They are called Thalassotherapy pools, which is from the Greek word thalassa, meaning "sea". It means the medical use of seawater as a form of therapy.

S-class ships also have a solarium pool, but it is not as warm, and are not designed the same way. They don't have the bubbling water areas, and no "waterfall" pipes. S-class pools are fresh water, not salt water as on M-class ships.

Here is the pool on Infinity. One of the areas with the metal bar loungers that tavelloverontario mentions is just behind the three towels:

Infinity%20T%20pool.JPG

Edited by boogs

I would suggest you look at Princess for Alaska if you want a covered pool. They have itineraries much better than HAL and , in my opinion, a much better product than Hal.

Not looking at Alaska specifically, but we usually travel out of season (land or cruise) so the weather tends to be COLD. But I am still VERY interested in your opinion. It's been 11 years since we sailed Princess, and 10 years since we sailed HAL, so we are aware that 'things have changed.'

Food is a big issue to us - cabins are not.

Thanks in advance for what I hope will be your honest opinions.

Edited by jkgourmet

Not looking at Alaska specifically, but we usually travel out of season (land or cruise) so the weather tends to be COLD. But I am still VERY interested in your opinion. It's been 11 years since we sailed Princess, and 10 years since we sailed HAL, so we are aware that 'things have changed.'

Food is a big issue to us - cabins are not.

Thanks in advance for what I hope will be your honest opinions.

We first sailed Princess in 1992, our most recent sailing was on the Ruby Princess Nov 2012. Not the same.

Meaning what? Better? Worse? Care to share details?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

We were on the Ruby mid Nov 2012, about 18% of the staff had been given their 'NEW' ship assignment on the New Royal. Most were excited to bring out a new ship, but some not selected seemed hard pressed to smile and the level of service was lacking. Was it a bad sailing? Not really, just no where close to the Princess we had come to enjoy. So was a major shuffling of the staff cause this, maybe. Fast forward to the Reflection last Nov, when we were forced to leave the ship, my wife said it was the best cruise since our first with Celebrity on the Zenith in 1994. We have spread our cruise $$ among 7 different lines and IOHO, for the overall product, for the cost, none are on the level with Celebrity. Our Nov sailing on Equinox will finally give us enough CC points to reach Elite after 20 years!

I am a big fan of the indoor pools and they just don't get better than the ones you will find on the S-class ships. If you are considering Alaska, then the Solstice might be right up your alley. This ship, as well as the other Solstice Class ships, have the most gorgeous indoor pool areas, with the M-class ships coming in at a close second.

The Century does not have an indoor pool area -- the only one in the Celebrity fleet without one -- and not for long. The Century is leaving the fleet sometime next year.

The M- class have the Thaselotherapy pools (like giant got tubs but not quite as hot) with whirlpool like jets and big water spouts to stand under.

S - class just have normal indoor pools.

And I thought somewhere along the way, I've read that maybe 1 of the M class is not the T-pool, just a normal water pool indoors?

I've only been on Connie in M class so far, and it is a T pool.

I read the OP's question and had a memory that I needed to share. Several years ago, we were on the Infinity during it's Inaugural cruise season to Antarctica. Once we passed Latitude 50 degrees south, the outside pool was closed. It was cold outside with snow falling. Prior to the closure, there were a few Nordic types from Germany that went swimming anyway :eek: Being Floridians, we got a chuckle out of that sight. The T pool stayed open during the entire cruise except for massive storm we encountered in the Drake Passage.

The T Pool and the Aquaspa steam rooms were a welcome relief from the cold.

Thank you ALL for your comments and information! It sounds like the S Class ships have what we are looking for.

Since the search function is still down, would someone please list those S Class ships for me? :confused:

Thank you ALL for your comments and information! It sounds like the S Class ships have what we are looking for.

Since the search function is still down, would someone please list those S Class ships for me? :confused:

Eclipse, Equinox, Solstice, Silhouette, Reflection. S Class named for the first ship, Solstice.

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme

CleGuy, thank you, but that link gives me a list of all the ships, not showing which are S Class (which evidently have indoor pools).

They are the ships on the list on the left "Solstice Class" The Eclipse, Equinox, Silhouette, Solstice and Reflection

The M- class have the Thaselotherapy pools (like giant got tubs but not quite as hot) with whirlpool like jets and big water spouts to stand under.

S - class just have normal indoor pools.

And I thought somewhere along the way, I've read that maybe 1 of the M class is not the T-pool, just a normal water pool indoors?

I've only been on Connie in M class so far, and it is a T pool.

All four M-class ships have the T-pool - Millennium, Infinity, Constellation and Summit.

You need to stay away from those unreliable sources you have been reading. :D

Edited by boogs