Crafts?

funnysocks

Does Princess offer crafts for adults to do while at sea?
It depends on the cruise and the number of sea days. If you are on a 7-day cruise with two sea days, the CD might put a "needle arts" or "scrapbooking" get-together in the Patter. If they do, it would be non-hosted "bring your own" get-togethers.

On every longer cruise with more sea days, there's always been "needle arts," scrapbooking, or other craft get-togethers. Princess used to provide small needlepoint kits (eyeglass cases) but I understand they're not doing that any more. I've been on cruises where the CD organized a number of craft activities and there were contracted teachers onboard, but no longer. :(

Here's a photo of our get-together on the Royal T/A last October. People were doing a wide variety of crafts, including needlepoint, knitting, crocheting, jewelry-making, tatting, cross-stitch, etc. They were sharing yarns, needles, patterns and even teaching each other.

yje9uquv.jpg

In case you're wondering what I was doing, I crocheted a shawl. :)

za9u6ete.jpg

Beautiful shaw Pam! I just started crocheting so very new to it...but I love it.

Not a craft...but our Canadian cruise this past fall had a seminar on Jackie Onassis jewelry.....so interesting. Loved the stories behind some of her jewelry pieces.

Beautiful shaw Pam! I just started crocheting so very new to it...but I love it.

Not a craft...but our Canadian cruise this past fall had a seminar on Jackie Onassis jewelry.....so interesting. Loved the stories behind some of her jewelry pieces.

They have been doing the Jsckie "seminar" on every ship we've been on for the past two years.

I am disappointed in the (lack) number of crafts that is sponsored by Princess' cruises. I have heard but never seen any ceramic classes. I have been to: origami, napkin folding, card making (rare), quilling, and scrapbooking/journals $$$. On my cruises to Hawaii, Leialoha provides an opportunity to crochet beautiful leis or make your own kukui nut leis. I have gathered a few people together to show them how to make straw/yarn leis. There are always knit and stitch groups and they share their talents.

I would love to see more (different) activities scheduled.

I am disappointed in the (lack) number of crafts that is sponsored by Princess' cruises. I have heard but never seen any ceramic classes. I have been to: origami, napkin folding, card making (rare), quilling, and scrapbooking/journals $$$. On my cruises to Hawaii, Leialoha provides an opportunity to crochet beautiful leis or make your own kukui nut leis. I have gathered a few people together to show them how to make straw/yarn leis. There are always knit and stitch groups and they share their talents.

I would love to see more (different) activities scheduled.

On my second Hawaiian cruise, I took the ribbon and orchid lei making classes. On the third one, I was eying the Hawaiian kits that Leialoha was selling, and almost bought one (took too long to decide which one). I did buy some ribbon (you have to make sure the spool has a long enough length) and made some leis for people.

It depends on the cruise and the number of sea days. If you are on a 7-day cruise with two sea days, the CD might put a "needle arts" or "scrapbooking" get-together in the Patter. If they do, it would be non-hosted "bring your own" get-togethers.

On every longer cruise with more sea days, there's always been "needle arts," scrapbooking, or other craft get-togethers. Princess used to provide small needlepoint kits (eyeglass cases) but I understand they're not doing that any more. I've been on cruises where the CD organized a number of craft activities and there were contracted teachers onboard, but no longer. :(

Here's a photo of our get-together on the Royal T/A last October. People were doing a wide variety of crafts, including needlepoint, knitting, crocheting, jewelry-making, tatting, cross-stitch, etc. They were sharing yarns, needles, patterns and even teaching each other.

yje9uquv.jpg

In case you're wondering what I was doing, I crocheted a shawl. :)

za9u6ete.jpg

That shawl is truly beautiful !! You are very, very skilled. It looks so delicate!

Just off the 15 day Hawaii on the Grand. Crossing over there was orchid lei making and a journal book class (journal book was for a fee). On the return there was ribbon lei making and origami. Also at 9am was the non hosted crafters get together- there were so many great activities to choose from I never could make the morning crafters and I missed the journal and origami classes.

On our passage through the Panama canal, we had a poster making contest, all supplies provided for free. The top three received prizes! I got a DVD of the entire cruise! (Third place? Or was it 2nd?)

I have seen the card making (Done that twice- same supplies each time) and scrapbooking, and on one of our first cruises the pottery. Not much else on regular cruises.

On our Hawaii trip, there was also ribbon leis, flower leis, and other Hawaiian type things but thats about it.

Best to bring your own thing to do, I have found.

Wife has gone to two different classes while we were at sea. Wrote the first one off as nothing more than a sales pitch to buy the ship scrapbooking stuff and disliked it so much she wrote the cruise director a letter about it. (first and only time she has ever complained). Cruise Director came to our suite and appologised and gave her one of the ships scrapbooking kits as a gesture. I thought it very nice as did she.

Second time she went it was totally different. Same ship different cruise. She said there were about 40 people in attendance, the materials that were provided were high quality and the instructor very knowlegable. The class was scheduled for an hour and ended up running for three. This prompted a second letter to the CD except this time about how great the class was.

I think there was a $ 2 materials charge both times. Very minimal according to my wife.