La Sagrada Familia questions

flickchick

I know when you book on line you choose a time to see one of the towers. However (I've heard conflicting versions) can you enter Sagrada prior to your scheduled tower time? Thanks, I'm trying to determine how soon we should arrive to get the most out of our visit.

I don't know where you "heard" anything about admission, but the basilica's web site suggests the answer to your question is "no." It doesn't specifically say no earlier admission to the basilica, but that would be a contradiction to the way all other admissions are handled.

Here's the text from the description of tower + basilica tickets:

This type of visit includes the inside of the two façades, the museum, the schools, the cloisters and the visit to one of the towers

• Tickets are only valid for the time period selected.

I recommend you buy your tickets online from the Basilica's web site, although technically Ticketmaster will handle the transaction. Navigating the basilica's web site is a little tricky because at the point when you want to select the time of entry, the web site changes from English to Catalan. If you're patient and use logic, I think you'll be able to handle the transaction. I speak no Catalan but I worked my way through the process and found it very do-able.

Here is my take on the Catalan pages:

First you'll be asked to choose one of two towers the Passion Tower or the Nativity Tower. I know the word for "Tower" in Italian is "Torre" and that same word shows up on this web page. The Catalan word "Passio" is close enough to "Passion" you can be confident about that one. By default, the word "Naixement" must mean Nativity. The height of the bar graph gives you an idea of how many entry slots are available. (For example, on March 28, the web site shows the Passion tower to be completely booked but the Nativity Tower has 580 openings.)

Once you've selected the Tower, you'll be asked to select the general time of day. Again, the words are in Catalan but logic and trial and error will let you succeed. (I've deduced the word "Marti" means "morning." "Migdia" means "mid-day." And "tarda" means "late.") Click on the general time of day and this will bring up bar graphs showing the number of available tickets for admission times at 15-minute intervals. You would click on your preferred entry time and finish the transaction.

Once you've selected the Tower, you'll be asked to select the general time of day. Again, the words are in Catalan but logic and trial and error will let you succeed. (I've deduced the word "Marti" means "morning." "Migdia" means "mid-day." And "tarda" means "late.") Click on the general time of day and this will bring up bar graphs showing the number of available tickets for admission times at 15-minute intervals. You would click on your preferred entry time and finish the transaction.

In this day and age of the internet, no "deductions" are necessary. Simply look up the words and be sure. :)

http://wikitravel.org/en/Catalan_phrasebook

In this day and age of the internet, no "deductions" are necessary. Simply look up the words and be sure. :)

http://wikitravel.org/en/Catalan_phrasebook

Okay. I've looked at the web site you provided. Having done so, we'll agree to disagree.

I still recommend folks develop their logic skills and use prior knowledge to tease out the meaning of unfamiliar foreign words. Sure, the site confirms that "mati" is morning and corrects my translation of "tarda" (afternoon not later). But the internet list doesn't include any of the following words: "Torre," "Passio," "Niaxemente" or "migdia." All are essential to book tickets online.

I was able to work my way through those four words using my varying degrees of competence in French, Italian, and Spanish. Someone who may not have the same foreign language background, may feel better traveling with a small dictionary or using the internet. When I'm traveling in Romance language countries, I enjoy trying to cope without resorting to a dictionary/URL. That doesn't make my way right. However, this example, hardly persuades me that no "deductions are necessary." After all, only two of six pertinent words appear on the Wiki web site of Catalan for travelers.

Again, we'll agree to disagree.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

• 2 weeks later...
I recommend you buy your tickets online from the Basilica's web site, although technically Ticketmaster will handle the transaction.

In the ten days since I posted this reply, the basilica has switched ticket providers. A company called Clorian is now the actual agent for issuing admission tickets.

URL: http://www.clorian.com/?lang=en

This company provides tickets for many activities and performances. The easiest way to navigate the site is to wait for photograph of La Sagrada Familia to appear at the top of the screen and, then, to click on the link that says "Buy tickets."

For English speakers, the new web site is easier to use than the previous Ticketmaster one because more of the screens are wholly in English.

The basilica's own web site still includes a link to the new provider.

In the ten days since I posted this reply, the basilica has switched ticket providers. A company called Clorian is now the actual agent for issuing admission tickets.

URL: http://www.clorian.com/?lang=en

This company provides tickets for many activities and performances. The easiest way to navigate the site is to wait for photograph of La Sagrada Familia to appear at the top of the screen and, then, to click on the link that says "Buy tickets."

For English speakers, the new web site is easier to use than the previous Ticketmaster one because more of the screens are wholly in English.

The basilica's own web site still includes a link to the new provider.

Here is the English link to the Ticket purchase page of the Basilicas website - scroll down and click on whichever ticket option you want http://sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/docs_serveis/infoTarifesInd.php

Edited by campolady

Hi,

I appreciate all the information I've read so far. We're headed to Barcelona in May and plan to visit Sagrada Familia (obviously); I've been debating the tower climb necessity and actually still am; we have such a small amount of time in Barcelona and want to see as much as we possibly can. However, my real question is the time question. Many people have asked about being early, but what if we're late for our time slot? Will they still let us in?

Thanks for any input,

Pam

Hi,

I appreciate all the information I've read so far. We're headed to Barcelona in May and plan to visit Sagrada Familia (obviously); I've been debating the tower climb necessity and actually still am; we have such a small amount of time in Barcelona and want to see as much as we possibly can. However, my real question is the time question. Many people have asked about being early, but what if we're late for our time slot? Will they still let us in?

Thanks for any input,

Pam

It isn´t always stressed on the booking sites but you have to be at the entrance within half an hour of your tme slot - after this you will be refused entry. If you are lucky you may be given another time but this could be several hours later. The same applies for anyone visiting the Alhambra in Granada.

Edited by campolady

Hi,

Thanks for any input,

Pam

You have to be almost dead-on for time to visit the Tower. The HOHO will give you a good overview of the city but takes valuable time. A taxi [or metro] is best for a shorter port day. We felt visiting a tower was the best part of the visit. There is not that much to see in the rest of the basilica. We walked through the museum, the gift shop and studied some of the architectural features. But, you would really have to be into architecture to spend more than an hour there without going into a tower.

I did a Barcelona mini-review with Segrada Familia pictures. Here is a link. The Segrada Familia starts at post #6.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40661674&highlight=segrada+familia#post40661674

You have to be almost dead-on for time to visit the Tower. The HOHO will give you a good overview of the city but takes valuable time. A taxi [or metro] is best for a shorter port day. We felt visiting a tower was the best part of the visit. There is not that much to see in the rest of the basilica. We walked through the museum, the gift shop and studied some of the architectural features. But, you would really have to be into architecture to spend more than an hour there without going into a tower.

I did a Barcelona mini-review with Segrada Familia pictures. Here is a link. The Segrada Familia starts at post #6.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40661674&highlight=segrada+familia#post40661674

Dragonoftheseas-Enjoyed reading your mini review of Barcelona. The pictures are very good. We are going to Barcelona in June & will be doing a post cruise. I am trying to decide what is a good time to get tickets. Once we get off the ship and stop by the hotel to drop off our luggage I am thinking 11AM would be a good time. I hope I am not pushing it? Do I get tickets for the towers & for the viewing of the Segrade Familia?

Thanks, Campolady and DragonoftheSeas! I appreciate your advice; I suppose we'll push back the time then, just in case... or maybe we'll just opt for the taxi and head out super early to try to beat the crowds and just mill around until it's time to go in... ugh, still so undecided ;)

DragonOfTheSeas- your pictures are awesome (and in fact are the reason I'm re-considering the tower). I love the little architectural details that are hidden above.

So much to see, so little time!

Do you know how far it is to walk from SagradaFamilia to Catalunya

I would actually like to know the answer to this also. I did plot with Google Maps a walk from Sagrada Familia to Casa Mila (about 1.1 miles), then down Passeig de Gracia to Placa de Catalunya (about 1/2 mile or less), and then down La Rambla to Columbus Circle (another mile), so a total of about 2-1/2 miles for that route. I'm not sure how accurate this is but that is what Google Maps shows. Perhaps someone who has actually walked can provide better information. If you go to Google Maps and put in both destinations, you should be able to get an idea.

I would actually like to know the answer to this also. I did plot with Google Maps a walk from Sagrada Familia to Casa Mila (about 1.1 miles), then down Passeig de Gracia to Placa de Catalunya (about 1/2 mile or less), and then down La Rambla to Columbus Circle (another mile), so a total of about 2-1/2 miles for that route. I'm not sure how accurate this is but that is what Google Maps shows. Perhaps someone who has actually walked can provide better information. If you go to Google Maps and put in both destinations, you should be able to get an idea.

This sounds pretty close to what I was estimating and the info I collected. Looks like a cab to the Sagrada and a leisurely stroll back to the Columbus statue. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I read somewhere that the time on the ticket...lets say (9-10am) let you enter within that hours time frame. Is this correct? or is it that we only have an hour to visit? :confused:

The answer depends on whether you are booking admission to the basilica only or to the basilica and the towers. It also depends on whether you are booking the use of an audio guide which offers the most entry flexibility VS booking the services of a human guide which occurs in specific languages at very specific times with no flexibility. Finally, there is further uncertainty because the basilica switched online ticket providers very, very recently. I don't believe anyone has posted about the process since the change took place. (My information is eight months old and took place under the old online system.)

You can answer your own question by going to the basilica's web site and going through the booking process until the step when you begin to plug in payment information.

I don't know what documents you have in Canada. Use anything that shows your date of birth - driving licence? passport?. Do you have ID cards in Canada?

You need to be 65 years old to qualify.

Edited by RollieUK

I don't know what documents you have in Canada. Use anything that shows your date of birth - driving licence? passport?. Do you have ID cards in Canada?

You need to be 65 years old to qualify.

Thanks. It appears I may have missed the age requirement and found it amusing that it was called a 'pensioners' discount. In Canada, we can apply for one of our government pensions at 60 that is often the 'senior' rate. :) Yes, we do have ID cards in Canada. LOL, my husband qualifies and I don't.

We used the audio tour ... sound quality was just fine. You can book Sagrada Familia online and avoid the queues.

We recent were cheated out of 55$ ...credit card charged and no tickets ever recvd ...no confirmation email recvd

We recent were cheated out of 55$ ...credit card charged and no tickets ever recvd ...no confirmation email recvd

You aren't specific about "recent" but if the charges are within the last 60 days, you probably can take some steps to avoid paying for tickets you never received.

Immediately phone the charge card company and tell them you are protesting the charge. They will issue a contingent credit which offsets the charge temporarily. They will send you a form to fill out in which you explain the situation in greater detail. Typically, you'll have ten days to return the form to the credit card company. They'll do an investigation. What follows is what happens if you win your protest, and, happily, we've won our rare protests.

Assuming you win your protest, the credit card company will write you a letter which congratulates you on the fact that you've won the dispute and that the contingent credit is now a permanent credit.

Hopefully, you did things immediately when you never received a confirmation for your ticket purchase. Hopefully, you held on to any email correspondence to find out what happened to your attempt to purchase online. Hopefully, you kept a written record of any phone conversations you had. All your documentation should make your protest a slam dunk in your favor. Even if you didn't do any of the above, you should still file your protest and think positive thoughts.

Good luck.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

You aren't specific about "recent" but if the charges are within the last 60 days, you probably can take some steps to avoid paying for tickets you never received.

Immediately phone the charge card company and tell them you are protesting the charge. They will issue a contingent credit which offsets the charge temporarily. They will send you a form to fill out in which you explain the situation in greater detail. Typically, you'll have ten days to return the form to the credit card company. They'll do an investigation. What follows is what happens if you win your protest, and, happily, we've won our rare protests.

Assuming you win your protest, the credit card company will write you a letter which congratulates you on the fact that you've won the dispute and that the contingent credit is now a permanent credit.

Hopefully, you did things immediately when you never received a confirmation for your ticket purchase. Hopefully, you held on to any email correspondence to find out what happened to your attempt to purchase online. Hopefully, you kept a written record of any phone conversations you had. All your documentation should make your protest a slam dunk in your favor. Even if you didn't do any of the above, you should still file your protest and think positive thoughts.

Good luck.

Yes...purchased the tickets 2 weeks ago...so still within limits

I have every email i have written and the awful automated response.....see below.....

Due to a technical issue your tickets (PDF File) has not been generated. The problem is solved and you will receive the tickets in the next hours. If not, you should only give your locator number on the individual entry (Carrer Sardenya)

Needless to say...no tickets....and i have no idea what a locator number is

Yes...purchased the tickets 2 weeks ago...so still within limits

I have every email i have written and the awful automated response.....see below.....

Due to a technical issue your tickets (PDF File) has not been generated. The problem is solved and you will receive the tickets in the next hours. If not, you should only give your locator number on the individual entry (Carrer Sardenya)

Needless to say...no tickets....and i have no idea what a locator number is

So did your credit card get charged the $55? I haven't purchased our tickets yet. What are you going to do about your tickets? I don't blame you for documenting everything.