Please sign the petition for Carnival to bring back the reggae/calypso bands

ShanteS

They have bigger problems than calypso bands.

Have you seen playlist productions

hasbro for an evening entertainment

revolving door in the piano bar entertainment

lack of rock cover bands on most ships.

We are basically done with Carnival until we see a whole bunch of improvement in entertainment.

Every time John Heald surveys his group, most respond they want it back. And does nothing. And then the same question is asked a couple of months later. And people respond they want it back. And does nothing.

Repeat.

The last surveys I have seen on John's page were against it....because it is to limiting.

Personally I can not stand them after about 5 minutes ....

The last surveys I have seen on John's page were against it....because it is to limiting.

Is it possible you just can't see all the responses due to the amount of people you have blocked on Facebook?

You will be happy to know he is entertaining the thought of possibly getting them onto the ship for sailaway (and dashing off just prior).

Personally, I hate karaoke.

Edited by Phlybice

Thanks to everyone who's signed the petition thus far, since it's creation this morning we have 79 signatures which is pretty darn awesome!! I saw that someone named "Peter" told John "a petition was created to FORCE Carnival to bring the bands back". SMH We cannot MAKE them do anything but hopefully we can persuade them to bring them back. If not everyday on Lido, perhaps a lounge maybe?? Just a thought. We shall see what comes of this. At least it's caught JH's attention and he will hopefully bring it up to the "beards" as he calls them. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks to everyone who's signed the petition thus far, since it's creation this morning we have 79 signatures which is pretty darn awesome!! I saw that someone named "Peter" told John "a petition was created to FORCE Carnival to bring the bands back". SMH We cannot MAKE them do anything but hopefully we can persuade them to bring them back. If not everyday on Lido, perhaps a lounge maybe?? Just a thought. We shall see what comes of this. At least it's caught JH's attention and he will hopefully bring it up to the "beards" as he calls them. Fingers crossed!!

It seems those in favor of its return are overwhelmingly responding YES!

John just posed a possible compromise that would have Steel Drums at Embarkation or at ports that would not require bed space on the ship since it would only be when the ship is docked and the bands come onboard.

And it seems to be getting rave reviews....

He will send it to the beards...

I figure if they see hundreds (and hopefully eventually thousands) of signatures all in one place they'll have no choice but to make it happen.

No choice? They won't have a choice but to increase prices if they start bringing things back that cost money!

While I understand that the Reggae bands may be enjoyed by many, it's an added cost that goes against Carnival's place as a BUDGET cruise line. Giving you more is going to cost everyone more. While some may be willing to pay extra, many of us won't appreciate the cost increase over something that honestly, we don't care that much about.

IMHO opinion, the reggae bands are a nice touch, but I can only listen for about 15 minutes before I move on. I can understand why Carnival has chosen to scrap something that gives them nothing in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Last January The Dream had really good lido music everyday , Had a dj, playing Buffet , Zac Brown , Toby Keith , after he played music for about 2 hrs a, guitar soloist played , things like Brown Eyed girl , a lot of sing along type music , No Hip Hop ,Rap ,Best cruise ever

John just posed a possible compromise that would have Steel Drums at Embarkation or at ports that would not require bed space on the ship since it would only be when the ship is docked and the bands come onboard.

And it seems to be getting rave reviews....

He will send it to the beards...

YES!!! I saw this and also commented that I would not be opposed to this idea at all! It would be a great way to start off a cruise. I'm so excited. This was all I/we wanted!! We say all the time here how much we miss the bands and we may individually send a message about it but most of the time it gets ignored. Now that we have close to 100 signatures in only a couple hours all in one place for them to see it can't be ignored. This is awesome news!! :D

Signed.

Good job, and good luck.

Thank you so much for signing! We're up to 91 signatures. :)

No choice? They won't have a choice but to increase prices if they start bringing things back that cost money!

While I understand that the Reggae bands may be enjoyed by many, it's an added cost that goes against Carnival's place as a BUDGET cruise line. They are not interested in charging more to give you more. Don't know why that's such a hard concept to grasp.

By the way, IMHO opinion, the reggae bands are a nice touch, but I can only listen for about 15 minutes before I move on. I can understand why Carnival has chosen to scrap something that gives them nothing in return.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have no problem "grasping" anything thank you very much!! I am NOT the only one who likes and enjoys these bands and who would love to see them back onboard. They do not have to play every single day but it would be a nice change from the DJ. And I also have no problem paying extra for it if need be and plenty feel the same way. As I said in a previous post, the petition was not created to "force" them to do anything but I wanted them to hear us. Maybe nothing will come of this but at least we tried. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I agree entirely!! :) Horrible tinkly-tinkly sound! :eek:

I submit that very very few CruiseCritic-ers have ever heard a real steel-band.

I'm talking about Desperadoes or CIBC Starlift from Trinidad, where steel pan was born

...Carnival bands of over a hundred steel pans, which sounds completely different

to the kinda Mickey Mouse two- and three-man outfits you guys think are 'a steel drum band'!

This is like comparing a violin or two -versus an entire String Section in an big orchestra!

One or two violins sound screechy and annoying

whereas a String Section is amazing!

but whatever floats your cruise ship and makes y'all happy

even a substandard example of steel-band! :D

Edited by Aplmac

Me and my wife still remember to this day....mind you this was 1998 a couple of the songs the Calypso/Reggae band were playing on our honeymoon cruise on the Carnival Celebration. I can't tell you the names of the songs...but we heard them several times over the course of 7 days......we enjoyed them...it definitely helped fit the "mood" of cruising in the Caribbean.

..."follow the leader...leader...leader...follow the leader" - Seemed to be some sort of congo line song they would play

and the chorus to some song was something like "looking in your big brown eyes"...Although we had our crude humorous version of it we would sing to each other "looking in your big brown eye"....ha ha

So you want to petition Carnival to bring back steel drum bands. On an 8-day cruise they would then be playing 8+ hours/day, over and over and over and over. Is that what you want to hear?

I think that you are not clearly hearing all the respondents. Most are saying having steel drums at sail away or other times would be nice. But certainly not 64+ hours worth of the same tired steel drum songs.

A better solution is to have a multi-talented band that can incorporate occasional steel drums, specifically at sail away.

I do fully support live music (hate the DJ), but versatility is needed.

So you want to petition Carnival to bring back steel drum bands. On an 8-day cruise they would then be playing 8+ hours/day, over and over and over and over. Is that what you want to hear?

I think that you are not clearly hearing all the respondents. Most are saying having steel drums at sail away or other times would be nice. But certainly not 64+ hours worth of the same tired steel drum songs.

A better solution is to have a multi-talented band that can incorporate occasional steel drums, specifically at sail away.

I do fully support live music (hate the DJ), but versatility is needed.

I can comprehend just fine and I have absolutely no problem with live music of any kind on the Lido (though I do prefer to hear some reggae/calypso). ANYTHING is better than the DJ blaring music over and over again! Most of the reponses I read agreed with me and the other 100+ signatures on the petition, they want the bands back. They don't have to play only reggae/calypso music constantly but they should definitely play it sometime during a Caribbean cruise (like they used to).

I can comprehend just fine and I have absolutely no problem with live music of any kind on the Lido (though I do prefer to hear some reggae/calypso). ANYTHING is better than the DJ blaring music over and over again! Most of the reponses I read agreed with me and the other 100+ signatures on the petition, they want the bands back. They don't have to play only reggae/calypso music constantly but they should definitely play it sometime during a Caribbean cruise (like they used to).

I agree. But the inference to Heald is just bringing the steel drums back. It would be better received by Carnival to request live music that can also play calpyso.

The way I remember them was pretty much every song sounded exactly the same.