guest laundry

If you want self-service laundries (what an awful thought on a vacation) you need to be cruising on Princess or some of the HAL ships. On Norwegian, RCI, and Celebrity you are not going to find this type of convenience.

Hank

Bobble Head: join the roll call for this cruise--look for Norwegian roll calls and find the ship and date. :)

When Gem was first built it did have "launderettes" (I saw them when I first cruised Gem in 2009!) but sadly they have all been removed.

Edited by mizlorinj

If you want self-service laundries (what an awful thought on a vacation) you need to be cruising on Princess or some of the HAL ships. On Norwegian, RCI, and Celebrity you are not going to find this type of convenience.

Hank

Carnival also

tx for the reply, just have to pack more clothes

NCL ships no longer have self-service laundries. But they DO have laundry service, charged for on a "per item" basis, or sometimes with a "full bag" special. I pack light and use it all the time.

Regent Seven Seas has laundrettes and they were fantastic. I only wish everyone had them, just for those quick items you need. But sadly, people take advantage of it and that when problems occur (like hogging up all 4 washers and dryers at one time)

It's the little things that bring people back; I'm just saying....

Regent Seven Seas has laundrettes and they were fantastic. I only wish everyone had them, just for those quick items you need. But sadly, people take advantage of it and that when problems occur (like hogging up all 4 washers and dryers at one time)

It's the little things that bring people back; I'm just saying....

I've asked two different Hotel Directors on NCL why they eliminated self serve laundry facilities. Both said that when they had them, they were the single largest complaint generator on the ships. Continuous fights/disagreements between guests and staff/security being called 24 hours a day. Easier and cheaper to eliminate them.

tx for the reply, just have to pack more clothes

Don't pack more clothes, just take advantage of the "bag special" for $25.

That is the ship's laundry bag and it holds a lot of clothes. We leave slacks flat, stuff socks & undies in corners and sides, and roll shirts/blouses to fit. We have put 5 days' worth of clothes for two people in that bag special.

I've asked two different Hotel Directors on NCL why they eliminated self serve laundry facilities. Both said that when they had them, they were the single largest complaint generator on the ships. Continuous fights/disagreements between guests and staff/security being called 24 hours a day. Easier and cheaper to eliminate them.

It could also be that they wanted to free those spaces for additional cabins and also have an onboard money generator.

We have been on 11 cruises all on ships with self service laundries and have never seen a fight. There are times that someone doesn't remove their clothes on time or there will be a passenger or two who piggishly ties up a few machines at a time. But with the first, it's usually someone who didn't mean to not get back in time. With the second, they're probably the same ones who hogs deck chairs, etc.

Perhaps that says a lot about the type passengers who choose to cruise on Norwegian. On HAL and Princess we have found the laundry rooms to be somewhat of a social place and we used to meet many cruisers (and chat) while doing our laundry and ironing. Now, we are finally in a position where we get free laundry on most cruise lines so seldom visit the laundry rooms other then to quickly iron a shirt. But even a short visit (to iron) sometimes generates new friendships.

Hank

It could also be that they wanted to free those spaces for additional cabins and also have an onboard money generator.

We have been on 11 cruises all on ships with self service laundries and have never seen a fight. There are times that someone doesn't remove their clothes on time or there will be a passenger or two who piggishly ties up a few machines at a time. But with the first' date=' it's usually someone who didn't mean to not get back in time. With the second, they're probably the same ones who hogs deck chairs, etc.[/quote']

And the last couple of NCL ships I've been on, that space was not converted to cabins, just used by staff for storage. Sorry!;)