A question about bringing wine ...

shebring02lx

I apologize in advance - it seems as if my searching has been disabled; although this might be a site wide issue - my apologies if it's just due to my lack of activity on CC in the past few years that might have caused me to miss a change.

Anyway, my husband and I are taking a 7 night cruise on the reflection (29MAR) sailing. We are really excited - my question is, I know that we can bring up to two bottles of wine per stateroom {at embarkation} my question is ... will it be delivered to our stateroom for us to consume there or are we required to pay the corking fee, meaning we would have to have it during a dinner?

This will be the first time we are considering bringing wine onboard ... I enjoy a cheap wine, Cupcake vineyards moscato and would love to have some on our sunset veranda

Thanks in advance!

another wine question if I may:

If we have two connecting cabins ( one for our two children 9+10) can we then bring on 4 bottles since it is 2 per cabin or are we limited to 2 bottles since they are obviously not drinking.

You should be able to bring four bottles since you have two staterooms.

another wine question if I may:

If we have two connecting cabins ( one for our two children 9+10) can we then bring on 4 bottles since it is 2 per cabin or are we limited to 2 bottles since they are obviously not drinking.

Just bring on 2 bottles each and go thru separate security lines. You won't have any problems. I doubt they would be checking anymore since most people will have the beverage package.

Thank you! We have the beverage package as well but we like to have a glass or two while getting ready or late night on the balcony and this will save us from running to the bar.

One more question, is a bottle of champagne acceptable or is it only wine?

Hi,

Champagne is wine...and perfectly acceptable...Enjoy !! Nothing beats a bottle of bubbly on the balcony at night, under the stars...with the ocean as a backdrop ! :)

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Thank you! We have the beverage package as well but we like to have a glass or two while getting ready or late night on the balcony and this will save us from running to the bar.

One more question, is a bottle of champagne acceptable or is it only wine?

Champagne & sparkling wine is still wine. We prefer Prosecco. :D

Another silly question: do we bring our own wine opener? I just don't want mine to be confiscated as a weapon in my luggage :D

I always bring my own. You can also ask your stateroom attendant to bring you one along with a couple of wine glasses.

Thank you so much for your quick reply! That sounds awesome.

I hope you enjoy the century! We sailed her for our honeymoon!

Thank you. I'm looking forward to trying the Century and I like the itinerary a lot with an overnight in San Francisco. We almost ended up on an S-class ship last month, but we're dissuaded by our TA because we have 7 year old and she felt that it might not be a good fit for him. With this port intensive itinerary, it doesn't matter either way. In addition, he enjoyed the three HAL cruises we've done even when he was only 1 of 32 children onboard.

There was a mention on a cruise review of a wine opener being confiscated going through security prior to boarding the ship. However, in that case it was the type of opener that also had a small cutting tool for the foil. If you are just talking a plain corkscrew you will be fine. But if you don't want the extra weight or bother...your cabin attendant will get one for you.

And remember you can take a glass of your wine to the MDR without any fee.

I noticed you mentioned Cupcake Vineyards. Have you tried their "Red Velvet" a good wine at a decent price. I used to live in Livermore, CA and passed the winery everyday on my way to work and back home. Cupcake is owned by Concannon Vineyards. Their Petite Sirah is excellent.

We took corkscrew with us - no problem... It did have a foil cutter and was not confiscated - but it was not a long cutter - about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long...

In reality, you could take as much wine as you wanted as long as you made more than one trip - there is no way for X to monitor who is bringing wine aboard... but if you have the beverage package, there is no reason to do this....

Thank you. I'm looking forward to trying the Century and I like the itinerary a lot with an overnight in San Francisco. We almost ended up on an S-class ship last month, but we're dissuaded by our TA because we have 7 year old and she felt that it might not be a good fit for him. With this port intensive itinerary, it doesn't matter either way. In addition, he enjoyed the three HAL cruises we've done even when he was only 1 of 32 children onboard.

Crazy, TA who has no clue what they are recommending and I love the Century.

Edited by dkjretired

Be careful in asking the attendant for a corkscrew. We did that on a cruise once and found a $15 charge on our bill for a cheap 69c item. But of course it had the RCI logo on it!!!!:eek: Best to pack one in your suitcase,not your carry-on.

Thank you for all the good advice!

I think I will simplify it and just have our attendant bring it :)

I haven't tried the red velvet but I do love a good red velvet cupcake :) so it might be worth a try, right?

Unfortunately, we didn't get to participate in the 123 perk of the drink package since we used a military rate :( kinda bummed about that but using the military rate saved us a few hundred :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You will need to pack your cork screw in your checked baggage. There is a good chance it will be confiscated if you pack it in your carry on. I've never had a problem with one in my checked baggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So, wine needs to be carried on, not in checked luggage and 2 per cabin?

Thanks!

Wine can be in checked luggage, or carry-on. Many folks carry-on, as it is often safer from possible breakage...and it has been previously reported that if the bottles are in checked luggage, the luggage may be held in the security area for you to claim, if the screeners can't positively identify it...and yes, 2 bottles (750ml) per cabin

We took 2 large 1.5 litre bottles, no questions ask. They don't say what size bottle only problem is good wine does not usually come in the larger bottles.

Just to clarify...Celebrity does state a bottle size limit...but enforcement can, and does, vary. From the Celebrity website:

Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom

Enjoy

Woody

Last march when I traveled on the Reflection they actually took our bottles at Security labeled them with our state room and delivered them later on that night. I'm not sure if they always do that in Miami but I was told it was due to it being spring break.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wine can be in checked luggage, or carry-on. Many folks carry-on, as it is often safer from possible breakage...and it has been previously reported that if the bottles are in checked luggage, the luggage may be held in the security area for you to claim, if the screeners can't positively identify it...and yes, 2 bottles (750ml) per cabin

Just to clarify...Celebrity does state a bottle size limit...but enforcement can, and does, vary. From the Celebrity website:

Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom

Enjoy

Woody

Last time we took wine on board they did not specify bottle size I guess they have gotten wise to what was going on :)