What is the difference in a Celebrity cruise and a Royal Caribbean cruise?

supersecdd

I'm looking at going to the same or almost the same itinerary on Celebrity, which I've been on before and like, and Royal Caribbean, which I haven't been on before and am wondering which line is better overall, which has better food and entertainment?

Debbie

Delray Beach, FL

Having been on both, I would say that Celebrity is more an older crowd with more elegance and Royal is younger with a more "fun" vibe. But every cruise can be different. I personally prefer Royal since food and service and staff are generally about even in my eyes.

We sail both lines.

If you enjoy more peaceful surroundings with a little more refined atmosphere then choose Celebrity.

I think the dining options are better on Celebrity for the most part. RCI does a better job in the Lido with ethnic fare.

Celebrity offers a cabin class (Aqua) with a dedicated restaurant. This is our favorite venue. The cabins also offer a few additional perks.

Which ships are you considering? Both lines have different classes with a wide variety of options.

Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean. When I was looking to cruise Canada/New England the Royal Caribbean phone rep told me Celebrity was Royals sister line and a step up in stature & cruising experience.

I booked the Celebrity Constellation for a 12 day New England/Canada cruise and loved almost everything about it. There is no Promenade Deck that encircles the ship (like HAL has), but other than having to go up a deck or down a deck, the cruise itself was awesome!

I'm a Senior, and loved the set dining time & elegance of formal night. It's not for everyone. Only you can decide what is most important for you.

I wouldn't sail the behemoth ships of Royal Caribbean (but that's just me). When I cruise I like to feel that I'm on a sailing ship, not at an amusement park. I live in Southern California, if I want an amusement park, I'll go to Disneyland, Sea World, or Universal Studios.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise.

Having been on both, I would say that Celebrity is more an older crowd with more elegance and Royal is younger with a more "fun" vibe. But every cruise can be different. I personally prefer Royal since food and service and staff are generally about even in my eyes.

I agree with most of what you said. HOWEVER, main dining room food is MUCH better on Celebrity. I really see no need to eat in specialties on Celebrity as far as quality being that much better. I do it it there for ambiance.

To the OP, a lot depends on which 2 ships you are comparing. RCI's radiance class attracts an older crowd as it is more elegant and less focused towards the younger crowd having numerous activities. I know we have the Constellation booked for a 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Key west Thanksgiving week. RCI Brilliance of the seas is doing the same itinerary that week and the price is about equal. I would be happy with either, although we did book the Constellation since our daughter (29)wanted to go on Celebrity again. She has taken only 1 Celebrity cruise but has been on RCI 4 or 5 times. We chose this cruise in order to cruise with her, as her vacation time from work is limited to holidays and summer

If you are talking about a longer cruise of 7 days on a new ships, then there is more difference between the lines. I would go by your age, if you are under 45 and have teens/tweenies RCI would be better. If you are 35 or above and childless Celebrity would be better. If you are 25-35 and childless, it depends on you if you like lots of activity or more elegance and better food without paying extra.

Celebrity will be more expensive, generally speaking....

Not necessarily-not when you compare the newest solstice class to Allure of the seas. When you book the whopping RCI ships, you are paying for that zip lining, wave runner, ice skating, wall climbing etc., whether you use them or not. Myself, outside of the watching the ice show and doing a bit of putt-putt,do not use all those extras, so there is no reason for me to book those RCI ships unless the ports are unique. Usually not, those ships have more sea days and less ports, so Celebrity is what I want as a rule.

Now you can book a Freedom or Voyager class for less that the Solstice, but that is because people tend to want all "the bells and whistles" that go for those type cruises. The freedom class is too much a "has been" for many of them (no zip lining) whereas those who go for Celebrity like Solstice and Refection, and the Silhouette almost equally. The Silhouette may be a lot newer than the Solstice but Celebrity cruisers know the newer ships are only a bit better than the older ships, so the older ships hold their value.

We sail both lines pretty interchangeably.

The S-class ships of Celebrity are my all time favorite ships. Beautiful public spaces with comfortable furniture; very nice cabins with the best bathrooms for standard cabins around. There typically has been a variety of entertainment options (jazz, guitar player, production shows, comedians, a capella groups, pool band, etc) but lately they care cutting back on live entertainers and going more towards DJs, often playing over the top loud music. They are working towards attracting a younger demographic but it's interesting to watch the way they are attempting to do this. Food is normally good to excellent, especially for the cost you pay for the cruise. Specialty restaurants are also normally very good.

Royal Caribbean has always had more of a "fun" atmosphere, attracts more families (although there are families on Celebrity ships), offers fun venues (especially on the mega ships) and offers decent food. I actually like Oasis. Didn't think I would but we had a great experience on her. There's so many options of things to do and see and there is something for everyone depending on what you like. She spreads out the passengers well and we never waited in long lines. The Radiance class ships are also among my favorites. Haven't sailed on one in awhile but we really enjoyed them when we did. I think Royal ships also offer a good value for what you pay.

So we determine what ship depending upon where we want to go, when we want to go and where we can get a better deal at the time. Enjoy whatever you select.