Cruiser's choice awards: What's so special about the Sun?

roquejo

The MDRs don't offer dinner menus at lunch. They offer the same (ie, unchanging) menu every day at lunch with a chef special thrown in. Examples of the lunch menu selections include hamburgers, omelets, shrimp and salmon salad sandwich, etc.

Yes. And, only one of the Main Dining Rooms is open for lunch and only on sea days. However, the Sushi/Asian specialty restaurant is open for lunch for a charge.

We just got home Monday from our 11 day cruise and we will NEVER go on this ship again. Its OLD and needs alot of updating and repairs.

The shower was like standing in a 2 foot round tube that you could not move around in, I would hate to know how a larger person would be able to use them. The room was alot smaller than ones we have had on the Dawn and Pride of America.

It doesnt have nearly enough room on the pool deck for the amount of people who want to be there on the 5 sea days, chair saving started as early as 6:00 each morning and were gone by 7:30. The BBQ that was done on sea days made for even less room by the pool because it did use up almost 1/3 of one side....

The buffet was poorly set up and made for crowds clogged up and the flow never went smooth.

We have gone on a 10 day on the Dawn and it was just perfect, if this were my first time with NCL I dont think we would crusie with them again.

The crew was a training crew so there was alot of things we noticed that were not up too par. They were all very friendly but just not as on the ball as other crews.

We were told the Pearl will be doing this cruise next year.

We were on the sailing with you. I am sorry you didn't have a great cruise. We sure did! We loved the Sun this time around just as much as our first sailing. We had many crew members remember us from the past. I can't explain it, but the Sun feels like coming home. She is a special ship. Looking forward to seeing her again for Alaska in 2015.

We also thought the MDR food very good. It seems each cruise, NCL improves their desert offerings. :D

We were on the sailing with you. I am sorry you didn't have a great cruise. We sure did! We loved the Sun this time around just as much as our first sailing. We had many crew members remember us from the past. I can't explain it, but the Sun feels like coming home. She is a special ship. Looking forward to seeing her again for Alaska in 2015.

We also thought the MDR food very good. It seems each cruise, NCL improves their desert offerings. :D

I will be "home" in Oct for 3rd Sun cruise. Actually, our 2ns Sun cruise was to cruise same ship/aft suite than itinerary. Really didn't care much where we went. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this the menu of NCL Sun's East Meets West steakhouse?

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/19626_CagneysWebMenu_042313-Sun.pdf

Does it change if it is an Alaska sailing to include Alaskan King Crab legs?, they used to have it for $8 surcharge but it is not here in the menu..

The shrimp cocktail with Jack Daniel sauce used to be jumbo shrimp, the really big ones, but now the menu said only shrimp.

For the lobster Sun served in the specialty dining, is it rock lobster similar to the MDR, just larger and whole tail?

Or do they serve Maine lobster instead?

We were on the same cruise and I could not disagree more with you. The Sun is a lovely ship with a great crew. I would take her anytime over the Dawn. And I am a large person who had no trouble whatsoever with the shower. We found all the crew to be friendly and willing to help . Even the captain asked me if there was anything that could be done to make my cruise easier ( I have bad knees) on his daily walk up on the pool deck. Yes there were chair hogs ( they are on all ships ), but even on sea days we never had any difficulty locating loungers. Different folks have different opinions I guess. We have sailed many times with several cruise lines. In my opinion the Sun is one of the few remaining real cruise ships, instead of floating amusement parks.

You mention the captain, between the captain and the Hotel manager we almost felt we were being followed. They were always walking in the public areas and even taking time to stop and talk to us.

You mention the captain, between the captain and the Hotel manager we almost felt we were being followed. They were always walking in the public areas and even taking time to stop and talk to us.

We noticed this, as well. On occasion, the captain was even outside, in port, welcoming people back to the ship and asking how their day had been.

• 2 months later...

The shower was like standing in a 2 foot round tube that you could not move around in, I would hate to know how a larger person would be able to use them.

What I do (6'-7" & 300+) is soap up the sides and spin!:D

Wow! What a shocker. I agree with you this time 100%. He is a class act. I am not looking forward to his retirement in a few years. Will be back on with him in October.

LOL!! I laughed out loud when I read this. love my butler is usually so negative 99.9% of the time. I'm just like you in that respect I read posts first then who wrote them and I am so surprised when I read something with a positive spin from them. I'm guessing it hurt you a little to admit you were on the same page as them ;):eek:

Edited by kdzkatz
added a sentence

LOL!! I laughed out loud when I read this. love my butler is usually so negative 99.9% of the time. I'm just like you in that respect I read posts first then who wrote them and I am so surprised when I read something with a positive spin from them. I'm guessing it hurt you a little to admit you were on the same page as them ;):eek:

Not hurt, shocked, surprised, astounded, etc. :)

Loved the Windjammer on our trip. Great atmosphere. Though it helped that Tino Melendez (one man party) was on board at the time!

There is no Winjammer on the Sun... I think you ahve mistaken it with RCCL's buffet resto

Windjammer bar? :confused:

Edited by podgeandrodge

Having sailed the Sun 2x (just did this month :) ) for me, it's about the ship being a back to basic, real cruise ship; no bells or whistles and a LOT less passengers.

The Sun is for the cruise 'purist'....for people who cruise for the sake of sailing, not for elaborate shows, skating rinks or ice bars and rock climbing walls.

She is one of the last of the ships like this and when she and the Sky go, we are left with nothing but the monster ships with 4,000 or more passengers.

It's a sad thought.

Agree 100%.. we love the Sun and the Spirit both because they are very unique ships to NCL, and the smaller ships just give a real cruise experience, for lack of a better way to put it. Ships like the Sun and the Spirit are the reason we fell in love with cruising.

What I do (6'-7" & 300+) is soap up the sides and spin!:D

OMG.. funniest thing I have read on CC in a long time.

Windjammer bar? :confused:

I'm not getting the ship wrong am I?

Oh yeah, you mean the Windjammer BAR on the SUN ... it's great place - we enjoyed our Martini Tastings there!

The poster who got confused was telling you that the Buffet places on Royal Caribbean, not on NCL, are called Windjammers.

The Buffet places on the NCL ships are called the Garden Café.

Oh yeah, you mean the Windjammer BAR on the SUN ... it's great place - we enjoyed our Martini Tastings there!

The poster who got confused was telling you that the Buffet places on Royal Caribbean, not on NCL, are called Windjammers.

Thanks, my sanity is still intact!

Ok, got confused as don't know there is a windjammer cafe in the Sun, as I am just about to try the Sun for the first time in about 6 weeks...

plus windjammer exists in almost all RCCL ships as where almost everyone goes to if they are not in the MDR or in the specialty restos...

I don't know that their bathrooms are any smaller than other ships. They are similar in size to what I recall from Celebrity's Summit and from Princess' Caribbean Princess. The shower is indeed a cylinder so may be or seem smaller but still compeltely usable IMHO.

The bathrooms on the Jewel ships which have a sliding shower door are nicer (again IMHO) than Sun's (and Summitt's and CPrincess') shower curtain but that isn't a deal breaker for me.....and of course while the concept of having a sliding door on Jewell and her sisters to close off the commode compartment is a great one, for us taller folks, it's useless.